Link: Report: Alabama athletic revenues higher than all 30 NHL teams, most NBA teams

rickvox79

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2008
Pace, FL
http://tracking.si.com/2014/04/07/alabama-athletic-revenue-nhl-nba/
"The University of Alabama recorded $143 million in athletic revenues last year, more than any NHL team and 25 of 30 NBA teams, associate professor Marc Edelman of City University of New York told the Associated Press.

Edelman spoke with the AP regarding the upcoming vote by Northwestern University football players on unionization that could upend the current revenue structure of the NCAA and its member schools. The article also noted that spending by college football programs has escalated along with rising revenues."

rjtide

1st Team
Dec 15, 1999
AL
yet another piece of information to be used by proponents of student-athlete union formation.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Of course there's a spin being placed on this. Let's see, the athletic department spends most of that, and what it doesn't spend, the University does.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
yet another piece of information to be used by proponents of student-athlete union formation.
Not that I'm for a union but it's a bit hard to defend the notion of academic amateurism when a university sports program makes more money than any franchise in one of the four major sports leagues in North America. The reality is that at schools like bama athletes are there to play sports first and be a student second. I was a teaching assistant in grad school and my wife was on scholarship at bama. She was directly told by her coaches that she was there to play first and study second. I taught a number of athletes including some prominent football players and it was painfully obvious that sports took major precedence over academics and that the primary function of all the academic assistance they received was aimed at maintaining eligibility. Quite frankly I was appalled by it and that was almost twenty years ago, I can only imagine how bad it is now. To add some perspective I believe in '95 coach stallings made $750 grand a year which is about 1/9 of what Saban makes today? The influence of money in college sports is totally out of hand and has all but obliterated the "student" in the "student-athlete" at major sports schools.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Funny thing is the fans don't come to see "the players." We watch and spend money to support our school. And most of us do so regardless of which players are there at the current time.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Funny thing is the fans don't come to see "the players." We watch and spend money to support our school. And most of us do so regardless of which players are there at the current time.
i think a number of the fans who spend their money on their favorite players' jerseys and wear them around everywhere and all the time like when they stand in line forever to get autographs from said players would beg to differ.

to be sure, true alabama fans root for the school, but they also root for specific players as well.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
Not that I'm for a union but it's a bit hard to defend the notion of academic amateurism when a university sports program makes more money than any franchise in one of the four major sports leagues in North America. The reality is that at schools like bama athletes are there to play sports first and be a student second. I was a teaching assistant in grad school and my wife was on scholarship at bama. She was directly told by her coaches that she was there to play first and study second. I taught a number of athletes including some prominent football players and it was painfully obvious that sports took major precedence over academics and that the primary function of all the academic assistance they received was aimed at maintaining eligibility. Quite frankly I was appalled by it and that was almost twenty years ago, I can only imagine how bad it is now. To add some perspective I believe in '95 coach stallings made $750 grand a year which is about 1/9 of what Saban makes today? The influence of money in college sports is totally out of hand and has all but obliterated the "student" in the "student-athlete" at major sports schools.

I was a GTA at Bama, too, so I get what you're saying, but that money goesn't go into Scrooge McDuck's vault. It pays for everything else...every last bit of it.

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
What is about to happen:

1. Players Union.
2. Divisional Realignment to the NCAA divisions with a "Super Conference" division created above the current Divisions.
3. Player Stipends.
4. Eight team Play-off based on Conference Champions and Wild-Cards.
5. White Helmets? :biggrin2:

2 - 3 years.

11b

Jul 8, 2013
^ i am assuming that since you are saying there would be a super conference division with 8 team playoff that you think there would only be 4 conferences in it. I count five, big10 big12 pac12 acc and sec. Are you leaving someone out?

Ldlane

Hall of Fame
Nov 26, 2002
I'm not speaking in technicalities, but I think in the "general sense" that is the way we are moving.

^ i am assuming that since you are saying there would be a super conference division with 8 team playoff that you think there would only be 4 conferences in it. I count five, big10 big12 pac12 acc and sec. Are you leaving someone out?

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
It's curious that Bama is the "headline" team for the article, but Texas's revenue is the highest. Why not make the headline "Texas athletic revenues higher than all 30 NHL teams, most NBA teams"?

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
i think a number of the fans who spend their money on their favorite players' jerseys and wear them around everywhere and all the time like when they stand in line forever to get autographs from said players would beg to differ.

to be sure, true alabama fans root for the school, but they also root for specific players as well.
My point is the players are a revolving door and no player is bigger than the school. Not the case with pro sports. In pro sports its almost all about superstars. In many cases superstars are bigger than the team/organization. Doesn't matter who is playing QB at bama, stadium will be packed. When big 3 leave Miami heat they will have worse attendance in the league.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
It's curious that Bama is the "headline" team for the article, but Texas's revenue is the highest. Why not make the headline "Texas athletic revenues higher than all 30 NHL teams, most NBA teams"?
Because they have not won a National Title recently...or 3 for that matter. We are the headliner in college football -- whether we like it or not.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

But that changes from year to year. In a span of three seasons, a #4 jersey for Alabama could mean a fan is gumpin' hard for four different players. Fans are weird and idiosyncratic when it comes to things like this. There's just no way to fairly quantify that so that players are duly compensated.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
But that changes from year to year. In a span of three seasons, a #4 jersey for Alabama could mean a fan is gumpin' hard for four different players. Fans are weird and idiosyncratic when it comes to things like this. There's just no way to fairly quantify that so that players are duly compensated.
my comments weren't so much about who should get paid what, just that the individual kids can be superstars that are followed individually by fans.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.