Mizzou dismises DGB from progam

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Solid points per usual, but DGB doesn't exactly fit the MO that you describe in "making the smallest mistake."

His problems have shown a progression of severity, and these are the cases that we know about. Missouri has become the Chernobyl for serious transgressions by scholarship athletes. In that regard, Pinkel had no choice once the details in the police report became known.

One comfort: I don't think Nick Saban will get near Beckham, but if he did it would be because he saw some promise as a human being. He's not infallible, though. He's built a brand on doing things a certain way, and I don't think DGB is worth the risk of damaging what sets us a part from so many other schools.

I understand this train of thought. To a certain extent I even agree with it. But I also try to remember that the schools are not as important as the students. When we begin placing our love and pride for our schools ahead of the wellbeing of the students, we have strayed too far afield.

I know that I could never have lived up to some of the standards that many fans place on players. Social media and instant news make it impossible to get away with anything today. Make the smallest mistake and the world is reading about it before you get a chance to call your coach or parents. I believe that I am a solid representative of my school in spite of the stupidity of my youth. But I also hope that I would have learned from my mistakes after getting busted a time or two. T

here has to be a line somewhere, but it is hard enough to draw these kinds of lines when we really know the people. It is crazy to try to do so when it is someone who we only know through the media.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
I just don't think receiver is enough of a weakness - even with Cooper gone in 2015 - to warrant a risky addition. Every team takes on a few risk factor guys each year...that's just a reality. They don't tend to take them at positions of depth though.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Solid points per usual, but DGB doesn't exactly fit the MO that you describe in "making the smallest mistake."

His problems have shown a progression of severity, and these are the cases that we know about. Missouri has become the Chernobyl for serious transgressions by scholarship athletes. In that regard, Pinkel had no choice once the details in the police report became known.

One comfort: I don't think Nick Saban will get near Beckham, but if he did it would be because he saw some promise as a human being. He's not infallible, though. He's built a brand on doing things a certain way, and I don't think DGB is worth the risk of damaging what sets us a part from so many other schools.
Absolutely agree - DGB seems headed toward bigger problems in life. We can only hope that something like this will get him back on track. DGB needs to play another year at a smaller school and then take his skills to the NFL, IMO. But if he doesn't get his head right, money will only make these problems worse (and he is going to earn a whole lot of money very soon).

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
I just don't think receiver is enough of a weakness - even with Cooper gone in 2015 - to warrant a risky addition. Every team takes on a few risk factor guys each year...that's just a reality. They don't tend to take them at positions of depth though.
Good point, rgw. The future at WR looks bright with Black, Foster, and Sims to name a few.

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
Why would anyone want a kid who has been kicked off another team because he can't stay out of trouble? Winning means nothing if you don't do it the right way. It would be like bringing in Lane Kiffin as a coach. Oh, my bad, I forgot that really happened. Anyway, if we can't do things the right way, we need to bar the doors to the football complex and start using Bryant-Denny for intramurals.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.