News Article: Amari Cooper Credits Lane Kiffin's Offense as Reason Behind His Big Scrimmage

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click

Asked Monday if this performance was a byproduct of his own improvement or the Crimson Tide's new offense, Cooper credited Kiffin.

"Coach Kiffin calls plays based on matchups and what he sees," Cooper said. "Like I said before, it's a simple offense. If he sees they are in man-to-man coverage and I have a hitch route, it converts if he's close to me, we are going to throw a little fade route and make something out of it."

Cooper's biggest play came on what he described as a "simple go route." Senior quarterback Blake Sims, whom Cooper said largely worked with the first-team offense, found him for the 75-yard touchdown.

"Blake is getting a lot of confidence," Cooper said. "He's looking good out there."

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Not to hijack the thread but Cooper has continued to mention "keeping it simple" makes me wonder if this type concept would help on the defensive side of the ball as well.

I was watching A Football Life of Tom Landry Saturday night. Many say Landry was the only true genius to ever be in the NFL. Not just football genius but true genius. However, the offense he created was so complicated that his players struggled to grasp it much less execute it. Landry reluctantly dumbed the offense down a bit and the team took off and the rest they say is history.

Sometimes I wonder if our defense is so complicated that most players spend more time thinking than reacting.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Yeah, but when they get it it's a sight to behold. It's the same dilemma that Kentucky basketball faces. When you take the best five players in the country every year, they are either going to come together at some point and do great things, or they are going to get bounced in the first round of the NIT.
I think the pro's of a complicated defense is as you say. When they "get it" it is very effective. However, the cons is it normally takes the average player at Bama two years to fully "get it". Barring injury to the upperclassmen (who've already gone through this process) this doesn't pose a problem. But when injuries hit it forces the younger guys into greater roles when they are nowhere near ready. Whereas if the defense was simplified to some degree (not completely dumbed down mind you) the learning curve wouldn't be as steep and if injuries occur younger players could have an easier transition.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
He really has mentioned it quiet a bit. Wonder how complicated Nuss' system was compared to Kiffin's.
I don't know but it seems to be enough for Cooper to be quite vocal about it. If Kiffin's offense is as Cooper says this year could be quite entertaining with regard to our offense. When players "get" the system they play faster. When they play faster the scoreboard lights up.......a lot!

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I don't know but it seems to be enough for Cooper to be quite vocal about it. If Kiffin's offense is as Cooper says this year could be quite entertaining with regard to our offense. When players "get" the system they play faster. When they play faster the scoreboard lights up.......a lot!
Maybe players understand Kiffen Offensive ideas better than they grasped Nuss's Offense.
Simplifying the play calling and a better understanding of plays has to beat, not quite understanding what Nuss wanted.
I too wonder if the Nuss Offense was over complicated. I know sometimes it looked like our guys weren't on the same page.
My problem with the Nuss Offense was that I called nearly all of his plays from my couch.
I thought he was too predictable.
Last year we didn't have the type team that could tell you what they were going to do, and still run it successfully.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Really great athletes do not need a complicated system -- their ability can carry them. Lesser athletes need a system in order to compete. Successful coaches know this and vary the complexity of their system depending upon who they have. Not as a knock against him, but I do think at times that CNS's system has produced too much "thinking" and not enough "reacting" and just playing your position. Our DL and LB's were thinking far too much against AU -- and I do not think you cannot do that against an option based, fast speed offense. But, the next football team I coach will be my first!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Not to hijack the thread but Cooper has continued to mention "keeping it simple" makes me wonder if this type concept would help on the defensive side of the ball as well.
The short answer is no. Alabama has sustained unprecedented success on defense. Usually, defenses "mature" with their players. As the players start to get the system, and you end up with enough juniors and seniors, that translates to success on the field. Those players leave, you take a step backwards, and then repeat the process.

Under Nick Saban, from 2008-2013, the worst Alabama defense has still been elite. The success is a bi-product of the players he recruits and the way he coaches them. That's why I cringe when I see people talk about getting smaller to deal with the hurry up offenses. Sure, you can do that, but then teams will run easier on Alabama, there's no way around that. So yeah, sure, you can also make it simpler, and easier for some players to grasp, but the defense won't be capable of what it was before. You combine the two, you get smaller and simpler, sure, Alabama will still have a good defense, but great? Not so much...

Back on topic a bit more, how come no one here has done the typical proclamation that Blake Sims can't throw the deep ball?

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
Sometimes I wonder if our defense is so complicated that most players spend more time thinking than reacting.
Possibly, but the other side of the coin is that the complexity of the defense makes it difficult for the QB to read.

As far as Kiffin's offense, it seems that he is more aggressive in attacking a D's weakness--something that Nuss never did consistently, with the notable exception of the ND game.

mrusso

1st Team
Apr 17, 2006
Possibly, but the other side of the coin is that the complexity of the defense makes it difficult for the QB to read.

As far as Kiffin's offense, it seems that he is more aggressive in attacking a D's weakness--something that Nuss never did consistently, with the notable exception of the ND game.
Which was quite easy seeing as the entire ND defense was weak.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004

The spread offenses have flipped the script on that. They force the defense to read the offense and adjust. Not the other way around. Hence the reason the offense rushes to the line of scrimmage and snaps the ball quick or they get to the LOS and wait as long as they can before calling a play to eliminate the time for the defense to call a play.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Way too early to tell, but it feels as if our offense is going to do very well under CLK. It seems like he is the type to attack defenses, go for mismatches, and stick with what's working. At the same time, CLK has been known for great balance and an earnest commitment to the run game. I think we'll see explosive plays with the likes of Coop and White, along with a punishing run game with Yeldon and Henry.

Man, I'm excited..

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Way too early to tell, but it feels as if our offense is going to do very well under CLK. It seems like he is the type to attack defenses, go for mismatches, and stick with what's working. At the same time, CLK has been known for great balance and an earnest commitment to the run game. I think we'll see explosive plays with the likes of Coop and White, along with a punishing run game with Yeldon and Henry.

Man, I'm excited..
If he can integrate any sort of in game adjustments, take what the defense gives you, or attacking specific matchups I think we have a good chance to have an improved offense. I think we have let the idea of making their blank quit creep too much into the offensive playcalling. Yes it is a great mindset to have, but at times it has caused us to go up against the strength of an opposing team when their was probably an easier way.

I saw some games while Kiffin was at USC where he had a tremendous balance between run and pass where the defense just never could figure out what was coming next. I'm pretty optomistic about what we will see next year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think the pro's of a complicated defense is as you say. When they "get it" it is very effective. However, the cons is it normally takes the average player at Bama two years to fully "get it". Barring injury to the upperclassmen (who've already gone through this process) this doesn't pose a problem. But when injuries hit it forces the younger guys into greater roles when they are nowhere near ready. Whereas if the defense was simplified to some degree (not completely dumbed down mind you) the learning curve wouldn't be as steep and if injuries occur younger players could have an easier transition.
Reggie Ragland is exibit A for what you are saying. He's a junior and in a recent article he says he's finally getting it, but still has to think about it sometimes. RR, I don't think is below average in intelligence. Played his HS ball at Bob Jones, noted to be a pretty good academic situation there in Madison, AL.

Last edited:

MOAN

All-American
Aug 30, 2010
Swearengin, Alabama, United States
The problem with Bama's losses the past few years has not been the defense it has been the offense's struggles. Even against Auburn this past season, if the offense takes advantage of the opportunities they had we win that game by double figures.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Back on topic a bit more, how come no one here has done the typical proclamation that Blake Sims can't throw the deep ball?
JessN has stated Blakes real struggle is the "intermediate" throws. Those are the ones I remember in some game situations.

When BS's inaccuracy is mentioned, you typically say that it based on very limited data. Then you mention remembering seeing him throw in his first A day game as proof he's better than the brief times we've seen him.

Not to be nitpicky, but aren't you basing your argument on some limited data as well?

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.