Cade Foster
John Fulton
Adrian Hubbard
Cyrus Kouandjio
C.J. Mosley
Anthony Steen
Ed Stinson
Vinnie Sunseri

Vinnie ran the 40 between 4.48 and 4.52, which would have been top 5 of all safeties at the combine.

@Marq_Burnett Vinnie Sunseri said he ran a 4.48 & a 4.52 40. Benched 225 pounds 21 times. Received a 4th round to free agent grade. Weighed 209 lbs.

Last edited:

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Wow I'm supposed Vinny ran a 4.48. I didn't think he was slow but wouldn't expect that time from him, especially coming off surgery.

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
That's a great performance by Vinnie. It should only get better for him as he gets stronger. He'll be gone by the 4th-5th round, for sure. There are plenty of NFL defensive coordinators that would like a coached-up gamer like him.

Bama Lee

All-American
Oct 13, 1999
Dallas, TX
Wow I'm supposed Vinny ran a 4.48. I didn't think he was slow but wouldn't expect that time from him, especially coming off surgery.
Typically, ACL injuries effect a players side motions not the straight away speed. A more accurate reflection would be a comparison of times (pre and post surgery) of the shuttle drill.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Still wished Vinnie would have returned for his Sr. Year, but he'll get drafted and make a roster somewhere. He is a football player!

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
The problem with Vinnie was his cover skills or lack of. Yes he got INTs but they were tipped passes by others.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
The problem with Vinnie was his cover skills or lack of. Yes he got INTs but they were tipped passes by others.
I don't think his cover skills are as bad as many think, especially for a Safety, and doubly so for an SS. Yes, he gave up some passes but some of that stems from the lack of pressure and him having to cover a guy underneath for too long.

dWarriors88

All-American
Jan 4, 2009
Tulsa, OK
Vinnie will do fine in the NFL, but I think he cost himself millions of dollars (plus another championship ring). He could have played himself into a top fifteen pick in next years draft, provided he didn't aggravate his injury again. The difference between 3rd rnd money and top first round money is staggering. 3rd round is being generous at this point too.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Vinnie will do fine in the NFL, but I think he cost himself millions of dollars (plus another championship ring). He could have played himself into a top fifteen pick in next years draft, provided he didn't aggravate his injury again. The difference between 3rd rnd money and top first round money is staggering. 3rd round is being generous at this point too.
Vinnie was not playing himself into the top 15 if he returned. While the difference between first round and third round money is large, the difference between third round and UDFA isn't. If Vinnie doesn't get drafted for some reason, he'll still get paid.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Vinnie was not playing himself into the top 15 if he returned. While the difference between first round and third round money is large, the difference between third round and UDFA isn't. If Vinnie doesn't get drafted for some reason, he'll still get paid.
That's part of the picture. I think it would be wise to also be aware of the average length of a career that starts as a 3rd round pick vs an UDFA. I have no idea what that information would show, but I imagine guys who get drafted probably stay in the league a little longer on average.

I think some of these players are making their decision solely on the rationale that you used, Pagan and Sunseri would be examples. If that is all you use most players who can play on Sundays would bolt early. I think some players are devaluing what another year of development might do for them as far as maturity and just becoming a man before being thrust into the professional life.

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I don't think his cover skills are as bad as many think, especially for a Safety, and doubly so for an SS. Yes, he gave up some passes but some of that stems from the lack of pressure and him having to cover a guy underneath for too long.
He was pretty bad against quick receivers in the slot, and I say that as one of his biggest admirers the past three years.

He needed to come back to prove his lateral mobility was OK, and that his hot start to 2013 wasn't a fluke. Let's not forget that he was often subbed out situationally as a sophomore because of the coverage issue. He probably got himself into rounds 5/6 with this performance but he could have gone as high as rounds 2/3 if he didn't have the injury concerns.

gtgilbert

All-American
Aug 12, 2011
He was pretty bad against quick receivers in the slot, and I say that as one of his biggest admirers the past three years.

He needed to come back to prove his lateral mobility was OK, and that his hot start to 2013 wasn't a fluke. Let's not forget that he was often subbed out situationally as a sophomore because of the coverage issue. He probably got himself into rounds 5/6 with this performance but he could have gone as high as rounds 2/3 if he didn't have the injury concerns.
the slot coverage was when he was playing in the nickel package, and that might not be something the pro's will ask him to do, and i still think many times he was being asked to cover a guy too long when those passes were completed against him.

as a Soph, he was also competing against Robert Lester and HaHa for reps. Early in the season he actually beat out HaHa for a lot of them. sure, lester wasn't drafted, but I think he's proven a lot of NFL scouts wrong now that he is in the league and got his shot at playing time and HaHa will be the first or second S taken this year. It's not exactly a knock on a guy's talent level to be subbed out in Saban's system. Nico Johnson, CJM, Mt Cody, Josh Chapman were all players that subbed out from time to time based on certain situations.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.