Question: AJ meeting with NFL teams.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
All I hear about the QBs and who they are visiting these days. ." The Jaguars also will meet with former Buffalo linebacker Khalil Mack and four other quarterbacks -- Blake Bortles, Teddy Bridgewater, Derek Carr and Jimmy Garoppolo -- this week, according to sources. Jacksonville owns the third overall pick in next month's draft. " . I never hear anything about AJ .and him meeting teams.... .Isnt that a mess or what?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Rollingtide66

Feb 19, 2014
AJ is going to surprise many nay sayers about his status. I think he will go in the first 3 rounds.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
If you read our draft projection article last month, I had him going to Houston at the top of the second round, because I think Houston is going to take Clowney with the first pick.

Most people don't have him going in the second round. To me, I'm beginning to believe there's less of a chance that he'll last into Round 3 or later than that he'll be taken in Round 2. The Cardinals supposedly love him and if Houston doesn't take him in the second round, I think Arizona will. Depending on who takes Manziel and where, Oakland could be a possibility.

I think the closer draft day gets, the better McCarron's chances get, because he's talented and battle-tested, and more of a sure thing. There is a ton of bust potential in the QB class this year. Bridgewater has been erratic against top competition and his pro day was terrible. Bortles is that guy who seems to come around every year -- small-school QB, big measurables, but really wasn't much of a prospect until late in his final year. Carr has the legacy of his brother to overcome, and Manziel's mechanics and off-field persona are hurting him. I think Manziel will succeed, but I'd have no trouble putting McCarron second out of the rest. The last time I really guessed wrong on a pro QB was when I thought Matt Ryan would be a bust. I thought a lot of Colin Kaepernick when others didn't, and I kind of saw through the Josh Freeman phenomenon, so I'm sticking my neck out now and saying Bridgewater will disappoint. But I think McCarron will have a long career. Arizona would be a great fit for him, because he'll have a real chance to compete for the starting job in a year or two.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
If you read our draft projection article last month, I had him going to Houston at the top of the second round, because I think Houston is going to take Clowney with the first pick.

Most people don't have him going in the second round. To me, I'm beginning to believe there's less of a chance that he'll last into Round 3 or later than that he'll be taken in Round 2. The Cardinals supposedly love him and if Houston doesn't take him in the second round, I think Arizona will. Depending on who takes Manziel and where, Oakland could be a possibility.

I think the closer draft day gets, the better McCarron's chances get, because he's talented and battle-tested, and more of a sure thing. There is a ton of bust potential in the QB class this year. Bridgewater has been erratic against top competition and his pro day was terrible. Bortles is that guy who seems to come around every year -- small-school QB, big measurables, but really wasn't much of a prospect until late in his final year. Carr has the legacy of his brother to overcome, and Manziel's mechanics and off-field persona are hurting him. I think Manziel will succeed, but I'd have no trouble putting McCarron second out of the rest. The last time I really guessed wrong on a pro QB was when I thought Matt Ryan would be a bust. I thought a lot of Colin Kaepernick when others didn't, and I kind of saw through the Josh Freeman phenomenon, so I'm sticking my neck out now and saying Bridgewater will disappoint. But I think McCarron will have a long career. Arizona would be a great fit for him, because he'll have a real chance to compete for the starting job in a year or two.
Joe Flacco comes to mind....although he had a pretty productive senior year from the start. I have to add, Flacco also did have an outstanding Senior Bowl (was MVP, I think), so that probably was a good part of the reason he went so high.

Last edited:

Mystical

All-American
Sep 28, 2009
Fairhope, Alabama

Seems to me it was just the opposite. He lit it up in there biggest game and sometimes played down to the competition. I don't think he will be a star but I think he will be top 20 QB in that league. I think the same for AJ except he has way more leadership qualities and if in the right system will probably win a Super Bowl.

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
Anybody hear Gruden's assessment of AJ? I was in a bar and they didn't have the volume on?
Yes...he said that AJ was under the radar for no good reason. He can throw well...makes all the throws...understands defenses, makes calls, etc. JG did say that if you wanted a QB to run around, AJ is not your man. But, if you wanted a pro style QB who is smart and confident and skilled, he is at the top. He obviously does not agree with the draft gurus (I cannot bring myself to type their names.) He also said that he won a Super Bowl with a "game manager" -- he was laughing at that monicker...and that when he went away from him he got fired!

Crimson57s

1st Team
Aug 18, 2012
That would not be good for his future.
I agree. Behind the Jags O-line, a pocket QB will take a beating. Plus, they are starting to look like a 21st century version of the Saints, who were at the bottom of the NFL for decades. I hope AJ goes to a team where he has a better chance to shine.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

I like it when you go out on a limb I like, because you're seldom wrong...

hollisx4

1st Team
Aug 29, 2005
Columbiana, AL.
I agree. Behind the Jags O-line, a pocket QB will take a beating. Plus, they are starting to look like a 21st century version of the Saints, who were at the bottom of the NFL for decades. I hope AJ goes to a team where he has a better chance to shine.
Oh Ye of little faith;).....I know the Jag's haven't been anything to write home about lately but the Jags might be an ideal place for him to land considering the upgrades to the roster they've been making since Coach Brad and the new GM Caldwell showed up.

Think about it, they kept Henne, traded Gabbert and Henne's probably going to be the starter for a year or two more which might give a guy like AJ time to get ready for NFL competition.

The biggest downside to AJ coming to the Jags I think, is the mindset of the local sports talk goober heads who think Manziel hung the moon and Bortles and Bridgewater both are the next Kapernick and Rothlesberger and openly dis AJ on the radio. (I think it has more to do with their hatred of all things Bama IMO).

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011

Now I'd go for that pick. I might even pull for the Texans if they draft AJ.

I would hate to see him end up in Oakland. If he doesn't end up with New England or Houston, I think Arizona would be a good place to play and for a former Bama assistant.

Does this mean the South Carolina alum owner of the Texans will take someone who played at South Carolina first in the draft? I'll bet he's seen him play several times, but does the owner make this decision?

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
AJ is doing a private workout for the Browns today. Story

The Browns are expected to kick the tires on every quarterback prospect before the NFL draft, and next in line is Alabama’s A.J. McCarron.

McCarron is conducting a private workout today for the Browns, Adam Schefter ‏of ESPN reports.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.