CNS says team this year not as talented as years past, but has better attitude.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Clearly, some of the guys expected to be leaders last year didn't do a very good job at leading.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
I'm guessing corner and OL...
Without a doubt. And without a doubt, I'd agree with CNS because our 2010 team was more talented than the 2 teams that won titles after it. Not saying we win it all in 2014, but I'd prefer a team with a unified purpose than a more talented fractured group. Ad when talent and purpose combine, it's scary (our 2011 defense; UConn women's basketball is also just downright scary)

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
Well here's my opinion.....No one ever doesn't have room to improve. You have to continue to give people and kids especially a challenge or they tire and then become complacent. I'd be more concerned if CNS said we were good to go.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
There have been several reports in the last few years about kids performance in school. Kids that are complimented for their intelligence generally don't do as well in school as those praised for their work ethic. I betcha CNS has read those same reports.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
There have been several reports in the last few years about kids performance in school. Kids that are complimented for their intelligence generally don't do as well in school as those praised for their work ethic. I betcha CNS has read those same reports.
I think complimenting intelligence and talent alone makes a lot of kids complacent.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I don't know what to make of this because I specifically remember Coach praising the players for how hard they had worked last year in the off season conditioning program. He mentioned they had more guys test at a high level than they had ever had before. Maybe that was possible without putting the work in, maybe not.

Coach is always sending messages that he thinks the team needs to hear. I would assume this is one of them.

I will say that I hope he's correct. The past several years I just have not seen our players flying around and playing with the kind of passion that I'm accustomed to seeing football played with. I'm really hoping we get a team that plays like the 08 or 09. The talent wasn't quite what it is today but the passion was there more so than it has been.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Rest assured that some will take this entirely the wrong way, but Saban is absolutely correct here.

What he is saying is that we aren't as talented this year in certain spots as we have been in the past, and unpopular as though that may be to some, it's undeniable. At quarterback, offensive tackle, and cornerback, we just don't stack up to what we've had in years gone by. There is no proven commodity at QB like a McCarron, an OT like Andre, Fluker, Carpenter, Cyrus, etc., and certainly nothing near a Kirkpatrick or Miller at cornerback (or, arguably, even a Dequan Menzie or Deion Belue).

Of course, though, he's saying nothing about the overall talent of the roster here, and truth be told this is also arguably the most talented team we've had yet in certain spots. I'd take our current group of tailbacks and wide receivers, for example, over any we've had in Tuscaloosa in a long time.

tidegrandpa

All-American
Without a doubt. And without a doubt, I'd agree with CNS because our 2010 team was more talented than the 2 teams that won titles after it. Not saying we win it all in 2014, but I'd prefer a team with a unified purpose than a more talented fractured group. Ad when talent and purpose combine, it's scary (our 2011 defense; UConn women's basketball is also just downright scary)
2012 wasn't a bad 2nd to 2011

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.