• S Nick Perry

Votes: 17 23.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I ought to name this thing the "Marcus Spencer Where Did He Come From Award" and give it out at the end of the year like they do a spring award. Basically, the concept is that every year, a senior comes out of the woodwork to have a breakout season after previously having been either a sub-par performer, a non-factor, or simply a useful depth player who suddenly turns into a difference-maker. I used to restrict it to fifth-year seniors but I'll let both kinds go through this year.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I voted Nick Perry. I've been hearing alot of good things about him in the spring practice reports.

I actually think we need him to become this difference maker too, since our defensive backfield has to step up.

Jaston Fowler would also be an easy pick as would Blake Sims. If Fowler bounces back to his pre-injury form that would be great and we are hearing he might be used in mulitiple ways in the new CLK offense. If Blake Sims erasing some doubts and concerns he'll certainly be a "break out" player too.

But, again, I'm going with Nick Perry!

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana
Nick Perry because his position will be our biggest need of the listed players, so I believe he will have the greatest opportunity. I'd love it to be Fowler, but Fullbacks just don't get the touches to make a difference, and he is still buried on the depth chart. Sims isn't a guaranteed starter, and all of the other positions have young players who will probably play big roles. If he can stay healthy, I think Perry has a chance to shoot up the draft charts by the end of the season.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I am the current lone vote for Vogler. I think our offense is going to fall right into his wheel house. Started to go with Fowler for the same reason, but he would not exactly be a surprise.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I picked Fowler. I have no stats or data to back this up, but I have a feeling that Kiffin will find more was to utilize him than Nuss did last year.

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
I voted Fowler, because he was just getting started last year. I hope he has a breakout year like Eddie's last year on the team. I am also pleasantly surprised with Blake so far.

Tiderollin32

All-SEC
Mar 12, 2012
I know he isn't mentioned but my vote would be DeAndrew White. He had a great season last year and given the fact he came back for his senior season I think he and Cooper will dominate. For Defense I would say Dickson if he stays healthy.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
I know he isn't mentioned but my vote would be DeAndrew White. He had a great season last year and given the fact he came back for his senior season I think he and Cooper will dominate. For Defense I would say Dickson if he stays healthy.
I didn't list White, Christion Jones or Jarrick Williams in this because they've all been key to big wins in the past without ever consistently having had any "down moments," like Spencer did. Williams probably should have gone into the poll but it's too late now.

chris

All-SEC
May 17, 2001
loxley,al. 36551
I ought to name this thing the "Marcus Spencer Where Did He Come From Award" and give it out at the end of the year like they do a spring award. Basically, the concept is that every year, a senior comes out of the woodwork to have a breakout season after previously having been either a sub-par performer, a non-factor, or simply a useful depth player who suddenly turns into a difference-maker. I used to restrict it to fifth-year seniors but I'll let both kinds go through this year.
wasn't Marcus a walk-on?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I picked Blake because I not only think he will end up starting, I think he'll surprise all the naysayers and prove to be a really good QB.
I feel good in the fact that Coach Saban wouldn't have him at the QB position if he thought Blake would get us beat with mistakes etc...
And also that I like having a QB who can run like a tailback if necessary.
He's who I'll go with.
I'll also agree that Perry could indeed prove to be a very pleasant surprise. I certainly hope so because we need great safety play.
sip

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Touch choice here because I think the obvious candidate -- Leon Brown, who will win a starting job somewhere on the OL and likely play well -- is a bit of a misleading choice given that he is a JUCO player who was already coming along even towards the end of last year. I have a hard time calling it a real "surprise" if he takes off and has a strong season, and in fact I kind of expect that he will do just that.

As for the rest, I guess you have to go with either Sims (first real opportunity) or Fowler (talented kid another year removed from ACL surgery). I feel like while Vogler, Ivory, and Perry have been decent players in the past, they've also had a lot of chances and have largely who they are at this point, and I wouldn't really expect a break-out year from any of them. By the same token, we've really gotten nothing out of Dickson since he stepped on campus, and even at this juncture Orr would have to make a significant move up the depth chart to even get meaningful snaps.

Last edited:

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I voted for Perry, I think health and opportunity have denied him for much of his career but if he doesn't get hurt I think he will be solid. I think Sims winning the job is still a bit of a long shot but if he does win it I think my vote will be wrong.

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Disclosure: I voted for Fowler. I believe Kiffin's affection for the fullback position will help him this year.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Touch choice here because I think the obvious candidate -- Leon Brown, who will win a starting job somewhere on the OL and likely play well -- is a bit of a misleading choice given that he is a JUCO player who was already coming along even towards the end of last year. I have a hard time calling it a real "surprise" if he takes off and has a strong season, and in fact I kind of expect that he will do just that.

As for the rest, I guess you have to go with either Sims (first real opportunity) or Fowler (talented kid another year removed from ACL surgery). I feel like while Vogler, Ivory, and Perry have been decent players in the past, they've also had a lot of chances and have largely who they are at this point, and I wouldn't really expect a break-out year from any of them. By the same token, we've really gotten nothing out of Dickson since he stepped on campus, and even at this juncture Orr would have to make a significant move up the depth chart to even get meaningful snaps.
Don't understand how you can claim we have gotten "nothing" from someone who has started and played in SEC games. Do we wish for more? Sure.

But . . . "nothing?" A bit over the top .

Last edited by a moderator:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Don't understand how you can claim we have gotten "nothing" from someone who has started and played in SEC games. Do we wish for more? Sure.

But . . . "nothing?" A bit over the top .
A bit? Of course, but not by much. Dickson has started a lot of games and seen a lot of snaps, but hasn't really produced anything of note. In his three years on campus, he has nearly as many suspensions as he has big plays in meaningful games.

Obviously I hope he has a big 2014 season -- both for his own sake and for the fact that it would really help solidify our pass defense -- but I'm afraid the tape doesn't lie.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.