Will Alabama ever do a "Nick Saban hire" for the basketball program?

derek4tide

Hall of Fame
Jan 19, 2005
Daphne, AL
Given the surplus thanks to football, will we ever see the PTB at the University hire a big name, multi-million dollar type coach for basketball (i.e., $3-5 million)? I've heard these names tossed about before, but will they ever do that type of hire? Thoughts?

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Well we will have to be in the market for a new coach to even begin talking about this which at this present moment we're not looking for a coach.....

But my thoughts on your question is would one of those type coaches want to come to Alabama to coach? It's not a question as to will the ptb hire one....those "nick saban" type coaches would probably want to coach at a historically championship level basketball school which Alabama is not....nick saban being interested in Alabama was a no brainer given our rich tradition and history of football championships

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What's a "Nick Saban hire" in basketball? The coaches I think fit that description aren't leaving their current school or are on the verge of retirement.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
"Ever" could be a looooong time.

Don't see it happening in the near future. Too many non-positives: a non-great facility, no recent success in tournament play, less-than-great fan support . . etc, etc.

imauafan

All-American
Mar 3, 2004
Huntsville, AL
I don't follow the NBA at all so I have no idea how he is doing but perhaps someone like Brad Stevens might be available in a year or two. It is my opinion that there are good, proven coaches out there that jump at the opportunity to make $3-$5 million a year if we would make that kind of commitment. There is a limit on how much Wichitia State can ever pay Greg Marshall and we can go well above that limit. Perhaps he isn't motivated by money but most coaches are to a certain extent. Also, you never know when a top-notch coach is disgruntled and looking for a change and a school that has deep pockets can come along and hire him away.

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio
Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not. What "Nick Saban hire" would come to a place where basketball is always going to be 2nd string? Why come when the administration does not take basketball serious? I will never say never but I do not think it will happen.

Last edited:

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
It would require both a shifting of the earth's axis, and a shifting of Mentalities in the Alabama AD.

The former is far more likely to occur than the latter.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
In respect to Coach Moore he made a pretty dang good and popular hire with Grant at the time. Hard to have gotten a better coach at the time.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Can they? Yes. Will they? Probably not. What "Nick Saba hire" would come to a place where basketball is always going to be 2nd string? Why come when the administration do not take basketball serious?
University of Florida says "hello."

I get what you are saying, and Bama football will always #1, but there is no way basketball can't be a close #2.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
University of Florida says "hello."

I get what you are saying, and Bama football will always #1, but there is no way basketball can't be a close #2.
When Donovan was hired, he was a 35-20 coach at Marshall. That's all. He wasn't a big name guy that immediately won at Florida. He built what he has there over time. That's something we forget. He didn't have the name recognition then that he has today, so he didn't have an ego to cause him to shy away from being second fiddle.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Florida is the perfect example. They managed to land the right guy (and keep him, barely), and he's keeping their program relevant. The frustrating thing is that Alabama has the talent, in-state, they always have. They just need someone who can keep the best talent within the state, and success will follow. But, the next step is of course doing something with that talent. Wimp for instance ended up with a lot of talent (one of his Alabama teams actually had 5 first round picks on it), but his teams never quite got over the hump.

That's what really makes it such a long shot. You have the talent, but you need a dynamic recruiter, and then you need a coach that's good enough to coach at an elite level to. That's not easy at a place like Alabama. Alabama's best shot is probably something like Auburn did, you try to get a bargain price on a great coach that comes with baggage.

That's where Alabama being a football school comes into play though... they won't do anything that might harm the football team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Florida is the perfect example. They managed to land the right guy (and keep him, barely), and he's keeping their program relevant. The frustrating thing is that Alabama has the talent, in-state, they always have. They just need someone who can keep the best talent within the state, and success will follow. But, the next step is of course doing something with that talent. Wimp for instance ended up with a lot of talent (one of his Alabama teams actually had 5 first round picks on it), but his teams never quite got over the hump.

That's what really makes it such a long shot. You have the talent, but you need a dynamic recruiter, and then you need a coach that's good enough to coach at an elite level to. That's not easy at a place like Alabama. Alabama's best shot is probably something like Auburn did, you try to get a bargain price on a great coach that comes with baggage.

That's where Alabama being a football school comes into play though... they won't do anything that might harm the football team.
Good post!

But let's just allow ourselves to imagine Bama ever winning a NC in basketball and, let's just say, the football team that year goes 9-3.

Does that really hurt the football program that basketball had more success that year?

I don't think so, so I don't understand why there would ever be the worry that Bama basketball might one day overshadow Bama football.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Good post!

But let's just allow ourselves to imagine Bama ever winning a NC in basketball and, let's just say, the football team that year goes 9-3.

Does that really hurt the football program that basketball had more success that year?

I don't think so, so I don't understand why there would ever be the worry that Bama basketball might one day overshadow Bama football.
That's not what Krazy means. Bama isn't going to get a basketball coach with a sketchy past that might cause the NCAA to be in town. We don't want the basketball program to get on probation and result into NCAA trouble for the football team.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That's not what Krazy means. Bama isn't going to get a basketball coach with a sketchy past that might cause the NCAA to be in town. We don't want the basketball program to get on probation and result into NCAA trouble for the football team.
Well, I agree with that, but is it the "school" that gets on probation or the "sport."

IN other words, if Bama basketball broke some rules (not that I recommend that) would the football program be sanctioned or just put into a probationary window?

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
I don't really see a basketball coach with a championship under his belt wanting to coach at Alabama. Even if we offer to pay him a lot of money. Everyone talks about Florida being an example but didn't we pretty much do what Florida did? Donovan was an assistant under one of the best coaches in the 90s in Pitino, went to a smaller school and had some success and got hired to help turn Florida around. Grant was an assistant under Donovan, went to VCU and won the conference 3 years in a row and had some tourney success, and we hired him to turn us around. Now, to date it hasn't worked out as planned but we've had some success and have a chance at a really good season next year. I understand not being happy, but starting a new coaching thread every week doesn't help anything. Lets hope this year things turn around and this talk goes away but, if not, lets talk about coaches that are available when we actually need a coach.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Well, I agree with that, but is it the "school" that gets on probation or the "sport."

IN other words, if Bama basketball broke some rules (not that I recommend that) would the football program be sanctioned or just put into a probationary window?
The sport gets punished, but the athletic department gets put under the NCAA microscope. No one is going to run that chance in Tuscaloosa.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I don't really see a basketball coach with a championship under his belt wanting to coach at Alabama. Even if we offer to pay him a lot of money. Everyone talks about Florida being an example but didn't we pretty much do what Florida did? Donovan was an assistant under one of the best coaches in the 90s in Pitino, went to a smaller school and had some success and got hired to help turn Florida around. Grant was an assistant under Donovan, went to VCU and won the conference 3 years in a row and had some tourney success, and we hired him to turn us around. Now, to date it hasn't worked out as planned but we've had some success and have a chance at a really good season next year. I understand not being happy, but starting a new coaching thread every week doesn't help anything. Lets hope this year things turn around and this talk goes away but, if not, lets talk about coaches that are available when we actually need a coach.
Thanks for reminding me of something I needed to be reminded. Short - but on target - bit of perspective.

pchil86

3rd Team
Feb 16, 2014
Amen

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama
I would like to see us go after more of the Bama talent as well. We have enough great programs in this state to sustain talent and generally year in and year out we do very well putting out a good star or two then quite a few role players.

Cooper was a big time shooter in h.s.
Levi is a big defender
Jimmie Taylor just needs time
and we'll see what Tarrant will do soon

That's a pretty good "core" there and all from Bama. Not bad.

BamaMTA06

All-SEC
Sep 9, 2007
We go after the Bamako talent worth going after. We've gotten the large majority of the high major level talent since Grant has been here. I don't care where they are from. I want talent.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.