More people exercising their open carry rights?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I'm starting to believe that more and more people are exercising their right to open carry of firearms. Yesterday I took a late lunch and while I was out I had to run some errands for the office. I made around five or six stops. I saw four people within those five or six stops with pistols on them in clear sight. Maybe it has been happening and I just haven't noticed. I don't know. But it was a bit weird seeing that many people at one time with pistols on their sides that weren't officers.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
That's a good thing. It does two things 1) tells cops, I'm exercising my legal right; and 2) lets would be criminals know they'll get shot if they attempt anything.

An armed society is a safer society.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'm as big a 2nd amendment rights supporter as you're likely to find, but you won't see me openly carrying. I think most that do want/need attention. I think what it mostly says to the bad guys is,"Shoot me first."

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
http://www.al.com/news/beaches/index.ssf/2014/04/panama_city_beach_cop_calls_sp.html

At a monthly CrimeStoppers meeting Tuesday night, Panama City Beach Police Lt. Jamey Wright called the spring break scene on the beaches "a war zone," saying that spring break crowds are bigger than ever and that more of the spring breakers are armed.
"They’re definitely armed to the teeth," Wright said, according to the Panama City News Herald. "And on the flip side of that, a lot of them have their permits, too. They’re armed, and they have permits."

I don't think this would make me feel safer!

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Never seen anyone open carry. I know many have one concealed but people walking with a sidearm would make me feel strange. I agree it is an attention getting thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamacon

Hall of Fame
Apr 11, 2008
College Football's Mecca, Tuscaloosa
http://www.al.com/news/beaches/index.ssf/2014/04/panama_city_beach_cop_calls_sp.html

At a monthly CrimeStoppers meeting Tuesday night, Panama City Beach Police Lt. Jamey Wright called the spring break scene on the beaches "a war zone," saying that spring break crowds are bigger than ever and that more of the spring breakers are armed.
"They’re definitely armed to the teeth," Wright said, according to the Panama City News Herald. "And on the flip side of that, a lot of them have their permits, too. They’re armed, and they have permits."

I don't think this would make me feel safer!
And where are all the stories of mass shootings on the beach? Oh wait, gotta go to the "gun free zones" you libs love so much for those. Let me ask this, "would you hang a big gun-free zone sign outside your home?" Would that make you feel safer? Just curious.

exiledNms

Hall of Fame
Aug 2, 2002
Hattiesburg, MS (USA)
I recall a great story from when some piece of the open carry law passed in another state. A relative of one of my friends strapped on his gun & went boldly around town running errands openly packing heat. He got home & boasted to his wife, "I went to the Post Office, to the bank, to the Dr.'s office, & to the grocery store wearing this gun all day." At which point she looked at him & said, "Uh huh; did you do all that with your zipper down?" Machismo crushed. :biggrin:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I recall a great story from when some piece of the open carry law passed in another state. A relative of one of my friends strapped on his gun & went boldly around town running errands openly packing heat. He got home & boasted to his wife, "I went to the Post Office, to the bank, to the Dr.'s office, & to the grocery store wearing this gun all day." At which point she looked at him & said, "Uh huh; did you do all that with your zipper down?" Machismo crushed. :biggrin:
Haha, not to mention the Post Office is federal property...

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
And where are all the stories of mass shootings on the beach? Oh wait, gotta go to the "gun free zones" you libs love so much for those. Let me ask this, "would you hang a big gun-free zone sign outside your home?" Would that make you feel safer? Just curious.
You libs. Stereotype much? I just don't think vast Quantities of alcohol, 1000s of young people and guns are a good combo. No mass shooting but some not mass shootings.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
I pick and choose where and when I carry. I do carry when I'm conducting financial business in locations where my health or we could be put in jeopardy. There are some locations though where I absolutely won't carry. Some because they have signs on the doors prohibiting it, and others where children play or otherwise gather.
Exercising Constitutional rights is one thing. But when we do, we also carry the responsibility of discretion and good citizenship that go with it.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
My part time job puts me in a lot of rural alabama/tenn. In the 3 years i've done it, I've been put in my truck 3 times and bitten by a dog once. I will not be bitten by another dog. I open carry now when i'm on the job there and proud to have that God given right. One day, I may conceal carry doing it...but not right now. Quick story from a week ago...I was in a field looking at a crop. I was at least a quarter mile from any house. I stood up and turned around and there was a german shepherd looking dog running at me (maybe 20 yards away). Hadn't made a sound and his ears were back. I drew my weapon and hollered "NO". Don't know if it was the weapon or the "NO", but he seemed to get the message. Stopped and stared for a minute...then left. I don't wanna shoot any dog...much less someone's pet (this 1 did have a collar), but dangit, i really don't wanna get bit again. :)

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
I keep a gun in my umpire bag in the car in case I have some unruly fans who are upset with a call that want to "discuss" with me after the game. I also keep a 30 inch aluminum bat which my preferred weapon of choice. Just call me cave man. I'd rather bludgeon someone than shoot them given the opportunity. Something about watching someone's teeth go flying out of their mouth is particularly fascinating to me. Call me disturbed.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
I keep a gun in my umpire bag in the car in case I have some unruly fans who are upset with a call that want to "discuss" with me after the game. I also keep a 30 inch aluminum bat which my preferred weapon of choice. Just call me cave man. I'd rather bludgeon someone than shoot them given the opportunity. Something about watching someone's teeth go flying out of their mouth is particularly fascinating to me. Call me disturbed.
Been doing that for a while now!!;)

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.