Link: RB Derrick Henry building on Sugar Bowl

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Hoping from a huge season from our running game this season. Make it easier for the quarterback(s). Wouldn't it be cool if Henry was running through a secondary on a regular basis?

"It’s almost laughable to think about it now, but for a long time people questioned whether Henry was cut out to be a running back. He was too big, they thought, too bulky to fit through running lanes. He was too tall to have the proper pad level.

And then there was the Sugar Bowl."

LINK http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/post/_/id/94501/henry-building-on-sugar-bowl-breakout

Last edited by a moderator:

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Hoping from a huge season from our running game this season. Make it easier for the quarterback(s). Wouldn't it be cool if Henry was running through a secondary on a regular basis?

"It’s almost laughable to think about it now, but for a long time people questioned whether Henry was cut out to be a running back. He was too big, they thought, too bulky to fit through running lanes. He was too tall to have the proper pad level.

And then there was the Sugar Bowl."

LINK http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation
It`ll be up to the boys up front. I think it was O. J. Simpson (many years before he went crazy) who said, " All running backs are the same without a good line. Lousy." No truer words were ever spoken.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It sounds like DH "gets it." Confident, but humble and knows even he has to improve and is willing to do what it takes.

We can only imagine how big the expectations will be in 2015 if he has a great year sharing the load this year. I think he can handle it too!

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
It sounds like DH "gets it." Confident, but humble and knows even he has to improve and is willing to do what it takes.

We can only imagine how big the expectations will be in 2015 if he has a great year sharing the load this year. I think he can handle it too!
As long he holds on to the rock, then he'll be a real good one. Time will tell. Things are always different when you have the entire workload (or most of it) though.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
As long he holds on to the rock, then he'll be a real good one. Time will tell. Things are always different when you have the entire workload (or most of it) though.
But as long as CNS is around he won't require one guy to be the sole workhorse. Not that DH might not be able to carry it, but playing RB at Bama is not like playing RB at Yulee HS.

Good thing is there will always be a solid #2 or even 1b if you are the guy at Bama.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
I've never understood how anyone and I mean anyone could have seen his recruiting videos and thought that he should ever be anything other than a RB. I mean WTH, the guy has as much talent as anyone at the RB position, only in a much bigger package.

Put it this way.....there will probably never be a time when he takes the field that there will ever be another RB that is better than him on that field. That would not be true at any other position, especially as a LB where most Keyboard Kommandos thought he should be. The fact that they saw his unique size and speed as reasons why he shouldn't be a RB is ridiculous, those are the very reasons why he should be a RB.

He's different for sure....way different, but in a good way.

Sadly 2014 will probably be his last year as a Tider.

Last edited:

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
He enrolled early in January 2013, so I think he can't leave until after the 2015 season.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
I've never understood how anyone and I mean anyone could have seen his recruiting videos and thought that he should ever be anything other than a RB. I mean WTH, the guy has as much talent as anyone at the RB position, only in a much bigger package.

Put it this way.....there will probably never be a time when he takes the field that there will ever be another RB that is better than him on that field. That would not be true at any other position, especially as a LB where most Keyboard Kommandos thought he should be. The fact that they saw his unique size and speed as reasons why he shouldn't be a RB is ridiculous, those are the very reasons why he should be a RB.

Yeah I never understood that either. He is insanely fast for how big he is. We've got him for 2 more years at the least. Hopefully two monster years.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I think people just saw his size and automatically thought that 6'3", 240 is too big for a RB. Unfortunately for them, it's not.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Said Henry: “During the Oklahoma game, I could tell that they didn't want to tackle me. I just kept the mindset of being physical and keep running hard so everything will open up.”
Only if Nussmeier had that same mindset against OU...

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
If I was the OC, he'd carry the ball at least 30 times a game. Sometimes you have to recognize, "This guy is bigger and faster than most Linebackers and DB's he's going to face. If he breaks the line of scrimmage, he's gone".
I mean Derrick's already proven that, and he's barely carried the ball.
He has more pure talent than any running back we've ever had in my opinion. I don't think it's even close.
I know that's a bold statement, but my goodness, look at what he did when he touched the ball.
He's a phenomenal, once in a quarter century talent, and we need to just let him "Run Derrick Run".
I don't care if he can block. Put in Jalston and Volger on passing downs. Just give the guy the ball and let him go.
sip

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
If I was the OC, he'd carry the ball at least 30 times a game. Sometimes you have to recognize, "This guy is bigger and faster than most Linebackers and DB's he's going to face. If he breaks the line of scrimmage, he's gone".
He has more pure talent than any running back we've ever had in my opinion. I don't think it's even close.
I know that's a bold statement, but my goodness, look at what he did when he touched the ball.
He's a phenomenal, once in a quarter century talent, and we need to just let him "Run Derrick Run".
I don't care if he can block. Put in Jalston and Volger on passing downs. Just give the guy the ball and let him go.
sip
Just think of the praise you would heap on him if he came from MS :smile:. All kidding aside I agree with what your saying. Yeldon is a tremendous talent in his own right (I think the way he ended 2013 has made some people forget that) but to me it is clear that Henry is more talented than him. I hope Coach isn't afraid to give Derrick more carries than Yeldon if that is the beest thing for the team.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Just think of the praise you would heap on him if he came from MS :smile:. All kidding aside I agree with what your saying. Yeldon is a tremendous talent in his own right (I think the way he ended 2013 has made some people forget that) but to me it is clear that Henry is more talented than him. I hope Coach isn't afraid to give Derrick more carries than Yeldon if that is the beest thing for the team.
Ha Ha :) By the way, the way, it's Alasippi for a reason. I live on the Mississippi Coast, but I was born in Florence, raised in Jasper, schooled in Tuscaloosa and spent my first 26 years in Alabama. I'm replying to your post from my Mom's lake house on beautiful Lewis Smith Lake in Curry, Alabama. So there you go!! :) Just pokin back atcha...sip

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

Me too TMac. There were quite a few on our forum who felt that way and I have not seen them in the "eating crow" line. He would be a good LB and TE as they suggested but he is a great RB.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
sip

30 or more carries per game is a recipe for disaster in the SEC. Even a guy as big and physical as DH can still get hurt. You gotta remember, we have other stud RB's too.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
sip
You're right but sadly he will be third string next year behind Yeldon and Drake. He will have one year to be "the guy," like Trent and Lacy before him.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
You're right but sadly he will be third string next year behind Yeldon and Drake. He will have one year to be "the guy," like Trent and Lacy before him.
Possibly won't be 3rd string RB for long. If Yeldon and/or Drake start coughing up the ball or one of them is just having a bad year or one of them gets gimpy, watch for DH to get his shot on prime time. Before the season is out, I see Henry getting just as many or more carries as Yeldon or Drake.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
Possibly won't be 3rd string RB for long. If Yeldon and/or Drake start coughing up the ball or one of them is just having a bad year or one of them gets gimpy, watch for DH to get his shot on prime time. Before the season is out, I see Henry getting just as many or more carries as Yeldon or Drake.
If he plays like he did in the Sugar Bowl, heck I see him vying for the starting spot, I hear CNS is on his band waggon his spring...talking about what a good spring he's having..don't get me wrong, I love TJ and Kenyan, but gotta give it to Henry if he works out like he did for us in the Sugar Bowl.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.