QB David Sills Updates (USC Commit)

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Sills committed to USC as a 7th grader when Kiffin was coach. He's still committed to USC, as is Ricky Town. Recruiting sites are reporting Sills is in Tuscaloosa today.

247 Profile

DallasRTR

3rd Team
Jul 26, 2007
Re: 3* QB David Sills Update

Ok, maybe I'm missing something - but when did we start recruiting 3 Star quarterbacks?
We are 'Bama - my expectations are a bit higher.

The 24th best pro QB prospect might be a nice player - if we were MSU, Kentucky, etc, but maybe I'm just spoiled.

BamaHoosier

All-American
Jan 17, 2011
Noblesville Indiana

Ok, maybe I'm missing something - but when did we start recruiting 3 Star quarterbacks?

The 24th best pro QB prospect might be a nice player - if we were MSU, Kentucky, etc, but maybe I'm just spoiled.
Phillip Ely in 2011
Alec Morris in 2012
Parker McCleod in 2013

So to answer your question, almost every year.

Last edited:

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL

I know what you are saying but Gmac was a 3 star and turned out pretty good. I am sure we are getting to know him and a firm offer may not be on the table now but if Coach Saban and Kiffin want him I am OK with that.

MN-Tide

1st Team
Jan 2, 2007
Minneapolis, MN

There have been a lot of great quarterbacks in recent years that were three-star prospects in high school. I believe that Johnny Manziel was a 3-star. Besides, I think Coach Saban is a better just of talent than the guys that hand out the stars. And Coach Kiffin must really like the guy to offer him in 7th grade.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Sills hasn't exactly taken off as the can't-miss, Mr. Everything QB prospect like some envisioned a couple of years back, but clearly he is still going to be pretty highly-recruited and touted as a prep prospect. With Town committed to USC, though, and Kiffin go from LA, I think the general consensus is that he will not end up at USC, notwithstanding the fact that he remains a long-time commitment of the Trojans.

As for us, I'm not too sure of our interest at this juncture, and it's possible we may wait a while. While I know people always clamor for a hot-shot QB signee in every class, frankly I'm not sure we are a particularly attractive destination for top QBs in the 2015 recruiting class. The presence of Coker likely locks the job up for 2015, and behind him you have a couple of formerly highly-touted QB signees in Bateman and Cornwell, so any QB who signs with us in this class is going to have to do so with the understanding that he will likely have to wait two or three years (and perhaps more) before having a real chance at the starting job. That's going to turn away some kids, so we might end up signing more of a long-term developmental type this year. Sills may very well fit that mold.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

Sills hasn't exactly taken off as the can't-miss, Mr. Everything QB prospect like some envisioned a couple of years back, but clearly he is still going to be pretty highly-recruited and touted as a prep prospect. With Town committed to USC, though, and Kiffin go from LA, I think the general consensus is that he will not end up at USC...
Think the general consensus can be called a lead-pipe cinch on that score.

Visited his adopted brother Jahmere Irving-Sills at Mississippi State over the weekend.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Think the general consensus can be called a lead-pipe cinch on that score.

Visited his adopted brother Jahmere Irving-Sills at Mississippi State over the weekend.
State offered him, by the way, though you have to figure Starkville would be a real fall-back choice for Sills.

As for USC, they haven’t really wavered from him, and they have remained willing to take him, but I think he has essentially lost interest in them at this point. He knows that, with Town on board, he’s really going to have a long, uphill battle to get playing time in Southern Cal. I think he’s mainly just looking for a firm destination, and once he finds it he’ll do a decommit-and-commit in the same instance.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com

You can't always tell about a guy in the 7th grade. Some kids kind of mature early and folks naturally extrapolate that they will continue to grow and get better with age.

When I was a senior in high school we had a 10th grader as our starting quarterback. Everybody was like wow this guy's going to be a freak by time he's a senior, but he never really grew any bigger, got any faster or better. By time he's a senior he had lost his starting job and was a part time fullback.

I also think that too much early attention can stunt the development of what could be a good player. It's hard for someone that young to deal with fame.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012

I think he’s mainly just looking for a firm destination, and once he finds it he’ll do a decommit-and-commit in the same instance.
Sort of a complicated story, but between the lines and from conversation, that firm destination for David Sills V could turn out to be Blacksburg. Though I was also fielding questions from interested parties about Nuss and his offense a couple days ago.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.