Full BDS?

Sagamore Bill

1st Team
Sep 1, 2010
Oklahoma
How important, for recruiting, perception, etc., is it for Alabama to have a big turnout or even fill BDS? I heard Alabama mentioned on ESPN along w/ OU and some others as having trouble with apathetic fans & students. The biggest local sports radio station (we have 4) has been mentioning the apathy of OU fans & comparing it to Alabama. They note the gradual decline of attendance at the spring game (OU pulls about 45,000). How much would it mean for the university for BDS to be filled? Will it happen again or was that a "one shot deal"?

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
How important, for recruiting, perception, etc., is it for Alabama to have a big turnout or even fill BDS? I heard Alabama mentioned on ESPN along w/ OU and some others as having trouble with apathetic fans & students. The biggest local sports radio station (we have 4) has been mentioning the apathy of OU fans & comparing it to Alabama. They note the gradual decline of attendance at the spring game (OU pulls about 45,000). How much would it mean for the university for BDS to be filled? Will it happen again or was that a "one shot deal"?
I don't think it will happen again during CNS time here. I mean it's a glorified practice where you really don't get to see much from an X's and O's standpoint. I have a hard time justifying driving 4 hours to watch that. Esp now that they are televised and I can watch the first quarter at home.

It is a good opportunity though for people to get their first BDS experience for free.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
It has too impress the hell out of the recruits that's at our A-Day Game for sure, how could it not, to see a sea of close to 100,000 rabid Crimson Tide Fans, supporting our Boys in a "Glorified" practice is a great recruiting selling point..However..It's definitely not an end all, "The Sky Is Fallen", situation that would hurt recruiting should only 80,000 show up for The A-Day Game..As long as Coach Saban is breathing oxygen on our sidelines..We will continue to have the Top Recruiting Classes in all of college football irregardless of how many of our fans shows up for The A-Day Game..

HELENKELLERMRI

1st Team
Apr 19, 2008
The Shoals
I usually go. I'm on call this year so can't go. I think if it wasn't on tv it would fill up more. It does help going down for a little atmosphere when you're going through withdrawals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nickel42

1st Team
Dec 2, 2013
Nashville, TN
I do think it's important, but it won't make or break anything. I go every year (to support the team and also watch players develop) but this year they've scheduled it on Easter weekend, so I won't be able to make it.

J4Bama

All-American
Mar 24, 2002
Sarasota, Florida
Unfortunately, I think it was a one shot deal. We can't even fill up the stadium during the regular season.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Unfortunately, I think it was a one shot deal. We can't even fill up the stadium during the regular season.
Are you joking or trying to be serious?

We sold out every single home game from 2004-November 2012, when we were less than 700 seats short of a sellout against Western Carolina. Oh, this was the week after we had seemingly been eliminated from the national title by aTm. During that time we expanded BDS not once but TWICE.

We fill up the stadium every single game. The complaint was fans leaving at halftime of blowouts like the fans who bailed during the 52-0 shellacking of Arkansas. (And I know about that one firsthand because I was there and stayed to the end).

The 2007 spring game sold out because of a variety of factors that no longer exist. For starters, I don't think that game was even televised. I may be wrong about that but someone will have to check. I didn't see it, and I think I would have programmed the DVR if I knew it was on.

Also:
1) We were coming off of three losing seasons in four years
2) We were coming off a stretch of TWELVE years where we had AT LEAST THREE losses every single year.
3) We were coming off the worst stretch of the second of TWO crippling probations
4) We had just hired a head coach with the best hiring pedigree since Coach Bryant arrived in 1957

And we also had a five-game losing streak to Auburn at that point. Folks just wanted to support and see some decent football. It was an over-reaction but it was quite impressive.

But those circumstances will not exist again in our lifetimes, either. Keep in mind we used to be happy if we hit 40,000 for what is little more than a flag football game. Plus - scheduling it Easter weekend was not the smartest idea, either.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Selma I'm hoping J4Bama simple forget the (G) at the end of the sentence or forgot to put the entire sentence in Blue cause he was joking..As you stated Bama has consistently sold out our home games over the years & dang near did during our worse time in school history during the Shula probation years.. Our students section at times looks empty, but, even they come at some point during the games to fill the stadium up & isn't showed on TV when they do..I've always been proud of our Fans cause they consistently fill our stadium even during the worst of weather conditions..

Are you joking or trying to be serious?

We sold out every single home game from 2004-November 2012, when we were less than 700 seats short of a sellout against Western Carolina. Oh, this was the week after we had seemingly been eliminated from the national title by aTm. During that time we expanded BDS not once but TWICE.

We fill up the stadium every single game. The complaint was fans leaving at halftime of blowouts like the fans who bailed during the 52-0 shellacking of Arkansas. (And I know about that one firsthand because I was there and stayed to the end).

The 2007 spring game sold out because of a variety of factors that no longer exist. For starters, I don't think that game was even televised. I may be wrong about that but someone will have to check. I didn't see it, and I think I would have programmed the DVR if I knew it was on.

Also:
1) We were coming off of three losing seasons in four years
2) We were coming off a stretch of TWELVE years where we had AT LEAST THREE losses every single year.
3) We were coming off the worst stretch of the second of TWO crippling probations
4) We had just hired a head coach with the best hiring pedigree since Coach Bryant arrived in 1957

And we also had a five-game losing streak to Auburn at that point. Folks just wanted to support and see some decent football. It was an over-reaction but it was quite impressive.

But those circumstances will not exist again in our lifetimes, either. Keep in mind we used to be happy if we hit 40,000 for what is little more than a flag football game. Plus - scheduling it Easter weekend was not the smartest idea, either.

Drifter

3rd Team
Mar 10, 2010
(About A-Day) Being there is better than TV . If you weren't there, you would have missed A.J.'s touchdown pass to win the game in 'overtime' a few years ago. TV had already switched to women's soccer or something.

I go every year. It's a way to give thanks to the team with my time and effort. I really enjoy seeing young players who will become future stars. I enjoy a beautiful Spring day on campus. It's free.

I also don't want the tiggers to have more people at their game than we do at our game.

Roll Tide

Last edited:

BamaInMo1

All-American
Oct 27, 2006
Cumming, GA
Selling out the tickets and everyone showing up are two different things. I was there at all but two home games this past season and the stadium was not always full. Mostly full but not always at 100% capacity.
I don't think we will have a spring game like 2007 (attendance wise) in a long time. I'll be there with my wife and a few other friends from over here

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Selling out the tickets and everyone showing up are two different things. I was there at all but two home games this past season and the stadium was not always full. Mostly full but not always at 100% capacity.
I don't think we will have a spring game like 2007 (attendance wise) in a long time. I'll be there with my wife and a few other friends from over here
But you're also ignoring the fact that Ga State and Colorado St could not possibly sell out their allotment, either.

I'm not taking the position of UA apologist here, but our record of putting folks in the seats is simply not bad. It's not like the stadium is half empty for all but the LSU game.

Con

Hall of Fame
Dec 19, 2006
Northern Hemisphere
I plan on coming down this year. I have no track meets this coming weekend and we have a hotel room looking forward to letting my son see a good game. He has been to the Titans before, but never an Alabama game. The spring game is just a relaxing atmosphere and you know your team will win. I will be looking for all of you guys there. If you will all wear Crimson and White I will say hey to you and know you are from "Tidefans".

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
But you're also ignoring the fact that Ga State and Colorado St could not possibly sell out their allotment, either.

I'm not taking the position of UA apologist here, but our record of putting folks in the seats is simply not bad. It's not like the stadium is half empty for all but the LSU game.
I guess the simplest way to put things is that Alabama's fan support is not bad at all. In fact, it is great. However, could it be better? Absolutely, is it "championship level" (in other words the best in the entire country?), it's easy to argue that it's not. So, I guess the entire issue is along the lines of performance. We, the fans can perform better...

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I guess the simplest way to put things is that Alabama's fan support is not bad at all. In fact, it is great. However, could it be better? Absolutely, is it "championship level" (in other words the best in the entire country?), it's easy to argue that it's not. So, I guess the entire issue is along the lines of performance. We, the fans can perform better...
That's my basic point. Let me put it this way: compare Auburn down the stretch in 2012 (pick any game) with us in the 2000 Iron Bowl as far as ATTENDANCE goes. They were two years removed from a national champion and needed the Alabama A/M folks to pick up their tickets just to have some fans at JHS; it was a wind chill at freezing in 2000 when we were 3-9 yet BDS was packed.

ValuJet

Sep 28, 2000
An OU Sooner friend of mine posted these pics of OU's spring game yesterday. Capacity of that place is 82,000. They announced 43,500. These appear to be taken before kickoff, but 43,500 may be a stretch.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
The expectations have been set so high since 2007 that "only" 70K seems very disappointing. I DO think it matters if only for bragging rights and recruiting. That said, I'd be happy with 85K yearly. The 101,821 may never come but as long as it doesn't drop into the 40's or 50's.

Always been amazing to me that UGA doesn't draw more. I think they had 45K this past Saturday which was a HUGE crowd for them.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL
I use to go but once I got in Tide Pride and started going to all of the home games it lost its magic. I have about a 2 hour drive and it is not worth it for a scrimmage.

b2v4ua

All-SEC
Dec 12, 2009
Springville,Al
I use to go but once I got in Tide Pride and started going to all of the home games it lost its magic. I have about a 2 hour drive and it is not worth it for a scrimmage.
Shame, shame shame on you. lol I drive 1 1/2 to watch. It fills my "habbit" for my addiction to Alabama football. P.S. we'll do better than OU's crowd. I'd bet the house on it.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
I've got three points on this....

1. This is the best time to take your family, especially young kids, to see a "game." There's no pressure - if the kid wants to go wander around you don't have to worry about missing a big play. Really the only big part is the first quarter, so when they get tired and want to go home it's fine. There's lots of stuff for families - we love taking our 4-year-old (but she's as big of a fan as we are).

2. We sell out our tickets but don't fill our stadium except for big games. You can kid yourself and say we do but I've been there many, many, many times and seen LOTS of seats available. And if you don't believe me you can see the stats published annually about the utilization percentage of tickets from the student section.

3. If... at any point... you said "they're making it too expensive for me to go to a game" then you need to look to A-Day. Parking is cheaper. Food is cheaper. Tickets are FREE. Come out, enjoy the experience. Enjoy what looks to be FANTASTIC weather.

I'll be there with my family. I hope to be part of a crowd of at least 75,000.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.