Phil Steele's early top 25

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC
Selma, they may return 8 starters on offense, but they lost 3 important starters that made that offense go ( Robinson, Mason, Prosch). Gus might be able to find adequate replacements for them, but IMO it won't be easy.
I've made this point several times about their team, maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but I do think that it will affect them. Mason seemed to never tire no matter the pace they played at and always fell forward, Robinson is obviously a top flight player, and you can tell from the coaches comments what they thought of Prosch.

When you get down to it their ground game was the absolute key to their success last year including most of the passing that Marshall got done. These three guys accounted for a gigantic part of the reason that their run game was so effective.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
You are correct. I remember when S. Alexander and Samuels graduated and they were the leaders. The next year with almost everybody back except them, the wheels fell off.
as luck would have it, esp. when it comes to auburn, Jay Prosch ( a Alabama native) was a transferred from Illinois.

sanjosecrimson

Hall of Fame
May 18, 2007
San Jose, California
I've made this point several times about their team, maybe it is wishful thinking on my part but I do think that it will affect them. Mason seemed to never tire no matter the pace they played at and always fell forward, Robinson is obviously a top flight player, and you can tell from the coaches comments what they thought of Prosch.

When you get down to it their ground game was the absolute key to their success last year including most of the passing that Marshall got done. These three guys accounted for a gigantic part of the reason that their run game was so effective.
Prosch never, and I mean never , missed his assignment!! some of his techniques were questionable , but the guy was a classic FB in every sense of the word.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Auburn is returning fifteen starters, eight on offense. Their offense will be good. My suspicion is that their defense will continue to be mediocre and it will bite them in the behind a couple of times this year.

I think our folks need to accept this is probably - PROBABLY - our version of a rebuilding year. I hope not, but replacing McCarron is going to be incredibly difficult. We will likely lose a couple of games we should not, but it depends. After all - the last two first-year QBs we had both won national championships that first year.

I think we're top ten material but this is going to be a (by our standards) difficult year. We do not have the 2011 defense as far as we know.
I'm not as concerned about the team because of the QB position as many seem to be. If we can win all our games and the BCSNC in 2009 with McElroy I don't know why we can't win it all in 2014 with whoever ends up the QB.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Prosch never, and I mean never , missed his assignment!! some of his techniques were questionable , but the guy was a classic FB in every sense of the word.
He was a great FB because that was all he was asked to do was block. I don't think I ever remember him carrying the ball or blocking.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
This is exactly how I feel Selma and I have already braced for it. I think we will be about 9-3 in the regular season and then hopefully win the bowl game to finish 10-3 with about a Top 11-15 final ranking. #2 is waaaaaayyyy overrated. I won't even say who I think wins the west...I just can't...Let's just say I'll be rooting for LSU to do it instead if we can't.
Nah NC, baby!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
This will be CNS's toughest coaching year since 2010. Good talent all around but we still have IMO, the "all we have to do is show up" mindset which will cost us a few games. Sometimes maybe too much talent can hurt you? We shall see.
I know you prefaced it with IMO but, unless you've got an inside scoop, that's impossible to predict at this point. As CNS says, it's another team this year.

Of course, typically he says that to remind them they can't win based on last year's accomplishments, but it's somewhat reassuring to know that some of the attitude problems we had last year may/ought to be erased with a new found hunger to win big again!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.