Need a little plumbing help...

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
So the other night I replaced my flush valve (and need to redo another part now that I'm into it, but that's another issue...). As I've put my tank back on with new bolts, I've got a slight but pervasive leak that won't go away.

When I put in the new bolt and nuts, I went in this order

Bolt head
Rubber washer
Toilet tank
Metal Washer
Hex Nut
Toilet
Rubber Washer
Metal Washer
Hex Nut

All of this per the instructions in the valve kit - should I have used another rubber washer - say, between the tank and the toilet?

The tank is level, so I'm not sure that's the problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks, folks.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
So the other night I replaced my flush valve (and need to redo another part now that I'm into it, but that's another issue...). As I've put my tank back on with new bolts, I've got a slight but pervasive leak that won't go away.

When I put in the new bolt and nuts, I went in this order

Bolt head
Rubber washer
Toilet tank
Metal Washer
Hex Nut
Toilet
Rubber Washer
Metal Washer
Hex Nut

All of this per the instructions in the valve kit - should I have used another rubber washer - say, between the tank and the toilet?

The tank is level, so I'm not sure that's the problem. Any help appreciated. Thanks, folks.
Are you saying there's no gasket of any kind between the tank and the throne? Without a gasket or sealant of some kind there, a leak is pretty much guaranteed. The ceramic processes are just not that exact...

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Are you saying there's no gasket of any kind between the tank and the throne? Without a gasket or sealant of some kind there, a leak is pretty much guaranteed. The ceramic processes are just not that exact...
Nor are the metal, unless it's an aluminum-like crush washer. But even then you'd need something else against ceramic.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
You used the best kind of tank bolts. Good. The rubber washers go next to the tank. The metal washers go on top of the rubber washers to evenly spread the force of the nut. Tighten tank to bowl evenly. A little on one side then a little on the next. Tighten snugly but too tight and you will crack the porcelain,

Always replace the spud gasket i.e. the tank to bowl gasket. There are several different sizes. Take your old one in and match it up. Some toilets have a flat rubber gasket between tank and bowl. I would say replace that too. Although I'm, not familiar with that kind.

inside tank Should be bolt, metal washer, rubber washer(next to porcelain)
under tank should be rubber washer (next to porcelain), metal washer, nut.

All the washers nuts etc should be used up before attaching the tank to bowl. Only thing holding tank to bowl is a nut or wing nut screwed onto tank bolt.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
I'm using a gasket, too - yeah. I'll double check it this afternoon after church to make certain it's tight. I think the issue is the washers and Fluidmaster's directions were faulty.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
If VJ starts this thread with that title, there would be way more laughing right now.

Not surprised Seebell is an expert on nuts.

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
The grizzled sweaty stinky plumbers I would run into used to say " Hot water on the left except on a toilet and excrement don't flow uphill". :smile:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.