Why running is bad for you...two die near finish line of half marathon

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
Exercise is good.
But, I think this marathon/half-marathon craze is partly due to the "if some is good, more is better" idea in America.
Like, since fruits and veggies are good, we should only eat fruits and veggies. Or, since cake is bad, you should never eat cake.

Moderation. Exercise some. Go for jogs and walks regularly. Be active. You don't have to get that 13.1 or 26.2 sticker. Just go have fun.
Eat a slice of cake at your kid's birthday party. Have a BBQ sandwich sometime.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
Link doesn't work. Or more correctly, page not found.

Exercise is good.
But, I think this marathon/half-marathon craze is partly due to the "if some is good, more is better" idea in America.
Like, since fruits and veggies are good, we should only eat fruits and veggies. Or, since cake is bad, you should never eat cake.

Moderation. Exercise some. Go for jogs and walks regularly. Be active. You don't have to get that 13.1 or 26.2 sticker. Just go have fun.
I agree with "all things in moderation", but I wouldn't say that competing in a 1/2 or regular marathon is automatically going "too far". I was unable to read the article, but I would be willing to bet that the 2 who died had some kind of health condition. Either that or they didn't take it seriously and never really trained then pushed themselves too hard. I mean, you are allowed to walk.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
Exercise is good.

Exactly right. The days I bike, I eat whatever I want. The days I do not bike I eat healthier and lighter. I now only bike every other day 12-20 miles. I never overdo it anymore. There is frankly no need to bike or run to the point that you are so exhausted afterwards, you cannot do anything. I once did a 60k bike race and I will never do that one again. I was so tired, I almost couldn't drive home.

these guys were in their 30's and younger than me.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
I agree with "all things in moderation", but I wouldn't say that competing in a 1/2 or regular marathon is automatically going "too far".
I agree - I hope it didn't sound like I said all half and full marathons are bad. It's the people who feel that they have to do half and full marathons to either (A) be in shape, or (B) fit in with the crowd. Going for a 20-30 minute brisk walk every day (or 4 times a week) can be enough to keep people healthy.
For people who love running and have been running 30-40 miles a week on a regular basis for years, half and full marathons can be good, fun activities. For people who don't really enjoy running and who couldn't run 5 miles a month ago... they probably don't need to sign up for a marathon in a month.

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
There are programs called "From couch to 10K". They are set up to train non-athletic people to compete in a 10K, which is 6.2 miles. They get you ready by working you up to be able to compete in and finish the race.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
FWIW - TV doc in infomercial (she is on several times a week) quoted recent studies as showing those who walked 30 minutes a day suffered 20% less risk of heart disease than those who didn't - same number as those who ran for 30 minutes a day.

skrayper77

All-American
Sep 4, 2003
FWIW - TV doc in infomercial (she is on several times a week) quoted recent studies as showing those who walked 30 minutes a day suffered 20% less risk of heart disease than those who didn't - same number as those who ran for 30 minutes a day.
The difference is no cardiovascular exercise and a decent amount. Running would be better for burning calories, but walking will still strength the heart.

RammerJammer14

Hall of Fame
Aug 18, 2007
UA
I read a book dealing with George Washington once and it said that he would ride his horse around every morning as exercise. I always found that curious and wondered just how much exercise you could get riding an animal. French General Joseph Gallieni, who can arguably be credited for stopping the German advance at the First Battle of the Marne in WWI, claimed the same thing, that riding your horse was good exercise. I wonder if that works on the same principle as walking=running in regards to heart rate.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.