News Article: Luke Del Rio Opens Up About His Transfer

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
I think it is pathetic not to give this kid a scholarship, if indeed he was promised such. It doesn't matter if this kid is from a family of means or not. That's none of our business. With all this preaching that coaches do about honoring one's commitments, it is shameful that we did not.
I agree I am sure it is not of popular opinion but you are correct.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
I think it is pathetic not to give this kid a scholarship, if indeed he was promised such. It doesn't matter if this kid is from a family of means or not. That's none of our business. With all this preaching that coaches do about honoring one's commitments, it is shameful that we did not.
Except for the disclaimer he admits Saban told him "if the numbers worked out." He didn't say CNS told him "Luke, you're getting a scholarship." For whatever reason, the numbers didn't work out. Did Saban expect another player to go to the NFL? Did they not expect Coker to transfer? Who knows.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.
I think it was more the status thing about being a walkon...
I agree. I don't really blame him for leaving. Regardless of his family situation he is good enough to be awarded a scholarship at many schools I hated to seem him leave but don't blame him one bit. I wish him the very best.

dadleyblane5

All-SEC
Apr 19, 2011
DeFuniak Springs Fl.
If Coker is as good as what people at FSU says he is, then the QB competition in the fall, should be pretty good. My FSU buddies told me that if Coker would've been as mobile as Jameis, then the Coaches wouldn't have known who to start. So no doubt the guy must be good.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
A scholarship counts against the 85 even if he does not play. I believe that's how the numbers would work, while he would not count if he doesn't play as a walk on.

If that is correct he basically knew another year without playing time unless someone was lost for the year at the QB position. Regardless of if I'm right about the 85, probably so about playing time. Kid is anxious to be the starting QB now. I wish him well and hope he shines.

I fully believe Blake will get a chance to start the season unless he regresses from the improvements made recently. Coker can overtake him if he's as good as some seem to hope.

I'd like to see them both be good and Blake improve so much we get to keep Coker for another year. Lane doesn't have any promises to keep or emotional ties to any QB on our roster. He will play the QB that is the best for the team. I believe Saban has given him that leeway on our offensive side.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
If Coker is as good as what people at FSU says he is, then the QB competition in the fall, should be pretty good. My FSU buddies told me that if Coker would've been as mobile as Jameis, then the Coaches wouldn't have known who to start. So no doubt the guy must be good.
I think FSU was obliged to start JW even if it was a tie.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
Except for the disclaimer he admits Saban told him "if the numbers worked out." He didn't say CNS told him "Luke, you're getting a scholarship." For whatever reason, the numbers didn't work out. Did Saban expect another player to go to the NFL? Did they not expect Coker to transfer? Who knows.
Well, the reason "the numbers didn't work out" was due to us still recruiting other players. I'm sure the conversation wasn't along the lines of "if we somehow completely strikeout in recruiting and have an extra scholly, we'll give you that one". That simply doesn't make sense. I do wish him well and feel bad about his exit. RTR

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
You have to consider this as well---Dad(Jack) was not given the USC job and it was given to Kiffin. He may have had a little bad blood about his own son being coached by the guy who beat him out, so to speak, and relayed those feelings Luke's way.

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
You have to consider this as well---Dad(Jack) was not given the USC job and it was given to Kiffin. He may have had a little bad blood about his own son being coached by the guy who beat him out, so to speak, and relayed those feelings Luke's way.
Then again, doesn't this ring a bell on another school's supposed interest in the dad?

From Wiki: On January 11, 2010, Del Rio was offered the head coaching job at USC, his alma mater.[SUP][10][/SUP] The next day he denied receiving an offer from USC, stating that the offer was "manufactured".[SUP][11][/SUP] Later that afternoon, he rebuffed USC officially, announcing that he would remain with the Jaguars at least through the duration of his current contract.[SUP][12][/SUP]

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It's probably never just one reason someone leaves, but a combination of some things. Did CLK coming have something to do with it? Likely. Did Coker getting the offer have something to do with it? Very likely.

Maybe I'm taking too simplistic of a view here, but I think if LDR was exactly what we were looking for in a qb he would have been given a scholly.

He might have been the best option if AJ would have gone down, but that doesn't mean CNS and company felt he was a long term solution either.

I think the staff realized our qb situation was uncertain, especially after the stellar career that AJ had and that explains the insertion of Jake Coker into the mix to give us a bridge until Cornwell and future studs are available.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
If he gets a chance to start elsewhere when he probably would not have started at Alabama, and that was his primary goal, then this is a good move. But if his aspirations are in the coaching world, this was a dumb move. No college head coach teaches young coaches and players better than Saban.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I fully understand the competitive nature of these players and wanting to play at Alabama for CNS is the ultimate, but these recruits need to take time and look at all aspects of signing with a major program loaded with QBs. IMO Del Rio made a wise choice in transferring and I think we all wish him success at Oregon State regardless of his motives for leaving.

This is something Morris, McLeod and Bateman are going to have to come to grips with since it appears (for now) that Coker or Sims and Cornwell are the future at Alabama. If they are content to signal in plays and hold the clipboard that is their call, but if they really want playing time then they too need to look for another program. This is not intended to blame anyone, but these high school recruits need to assess the likelihood of possibly playing at a major program or starting at a mid-major type program.

capnfrog

All-American
Aug 17, 2002
Pell city, Al. U.S.A.
No doubt it means he's improved. I've also gotten the impression that Bateman has made strides too. But let's be honest. If LDR was the preferred choice if AJ went down last year even though Sims and Bateman were available also, but LKR is no longer on option, what else is CNS supposed to say?

I'm sure Blake has improved with increased reps, but there is a reason the staff reached out to Coker too.
I'm pulling for Blake to start but if Blake Sims goes down hopefully we'll have quality back up.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I fully understand the competitive nature of these players and wanting to play at Alabama for CNS is the ultimate, but these recruits need to take time and look at all aspects of signing with a major program loaded with QBs. IMO Del Rio made a wise choice in transferring and I think we all wish him success at Oregon State regardless of his motives for leaving.

This is something Morris, McLeod and Bateman are going to have to come to grips with since it appears (for now) that Coker or Sims and Cornwell are the future at Alabama. If they are content to signal in plays and hold the clipboard that is their call, but if they really want playing time then they too need to look for another program. This is not intended to blame anyone, but these high school recruits need to assess the likelihood of possibly playing at a major program or starting at a mid-major type program.
I think you've just given the most realistic and mature opinion posted in this thread. sip

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
It's probably never just one reason someone leaves, but a combination of some things. Did CLK coming have something to do with it? Likely. Did Coker getting the offer have something to do with it? Very likely.

Maybe I'm taking too simplistic of a view here, but I think if LDR was exactly what we were looking for in a qb he would have been given a scholly.

He might have been the best option if AJ would have gone down, but that doesn't mean CNS and company felt he was a long term solution either.

I think the staff realized our qb situation was uncertain, especially after the stellar career that AJ had and that explains the insertion of Jake Coker into the mix to give us a bridge until Cornwell and future studs are available.
possibly so...we'll find out. One of the biggest mysteries we've had in the Saban tenure, to say the least...sip

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Free college education: check.
Get National Championship ring: check.
Play for the most storied college football program around: check.
Learn from one of the best ever (CNS): check.
Hold clipboard for 5 years: where do I sign up?

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
I'm pulling for Blake to start but if Blake Sims goes down hopefully we'll have quality back up.

I'm pulling for whomever gives us the best chance to WIN. I honestly love Blake Sims and his commitment to be a quarterback in Alabama. But I guarantee you, if we have two or three losses by the time we get to Mississippi State, everybody on this board would have lost all (or most) love for Blake Sims. Deep down we all just want to win (and win the right way).

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I'm pulling for whomever gives us the best chance to WIN. I honestly love Blake Sims and his commitment to be a quarterback in Alabama. But I guarantee you, if we have two or three losses by the time we get to Mississippi State, everybody on this board would have lost all (or most) love for Blake Sims. Deep down we all just want to win (and win the right way).
Exactly what I've said all along. We all may have a gut feeling about who we think it might be or who we would like for it to be, but in the end it is about winning for all involved:

The players, at this level, understand it's about talent not seniority.
The coaches know you play your best.
The fans, while we can root for favorite players want to see Bama win every game.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Free college education: check.
Get National Championship ring: check.
Play for the most storied college football program around: check.
Learn from one of the best ever (CNS): check.
Hold clipboard for 5 years: where do I sign up?
You are correct, from a "Bama fan" perspective, but remember many of these kids didn't grow up being fans and they were just recruited by Bama, which is a huge compliment.

However, at this level, even for the 3 star guys, they believe they are good enough to play and if they see the writing on the wall and figure out that they might not be good enough to play at Bama or some other big school they probably still feel like they need to maximize the opportunity for playing time at some other schoool.

I know we'd like to see them stick to their original commitment, but how many times does the guy that holds the clip board for the first 3 or 4 years finally get his opportunity to be a star his last year or two??? It happens, and it may happen at Bama this year for BS, but with today's player development at the high school and camp level, most of the elite guys are ready to play after 1 redshirt year, some even as TF.

Last edited:

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.