News Article: Luke Del Rio Opens Up About His Transfer

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I am confident that CNS will play the QB that gives the team the best chance to win, and IMO he will not let the "feel good story of Sims" sway his decision. I think we all want what is best for the team.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Not everyone on the team has a realistic chance of seeing substantial playing time. Even if they transfer. So, all things being equal, it is an easy choice.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Not everyone on the team has a realistic chance of seeing substantial playing time. Even if they transfer. So, all things being equal, it is an easy choice.
Correct, not at Bama at least. But most people (and we've talked about qbs) could go somewhere else...even a lower division.

I agree with BB, although my dream was to play at Alabama, if I could play at USA or Samford or Sisters of the Poor I'd be willing to go there to play.

cuda.1973

Hall of Fame
Dec 6, 2009
Allen, Texas
Stay at Bama, or be BMOC at UNT, for a year or so. Sorry, no brainer. Even though my niece goes there (on my dime), not sure how much clout that degree will have. Sure, kids don't think that far ahead (if at all), but hopefully someone will be looking out for their future. Not that kids ever listen to their parents.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
But I very seriously doubt most college athletes would admit or even think they had little chance of playing time no matter where they went. Especially with LDR. If he had gotten to the point of being the guy that was going in if AJ got hurt then I think his chances of being able to play start somewhere else is pretty good.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
This may also be a situation in which lack of injuries works against you. It has been at least 8 years since an Alabama starting QB missed a start due to injury. Second string QB at Alabama has recently been a very uneventful position.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
First, as has been said it is never, ever easy to sit on the bench. As any sort of athlete and competitor, sitting on the bench is incredibly hard.

Having said that, I do agree with the sentiment that we're only hearing one side of the story. Furthermore, it's a bit disingenuous to come in as a walk-on, knowing full well how that impacts numbers (you can't play until you are a redshirt sophomore without being on scholarship) and then transfer out because you're not put on scholarship. I understand the whole not wanting to sit part, etc... but he chose to come to Alabama as a preferred walk-on, he knew he had virtually zero chance of playing the first two years.

Also, I've seen Coker used as an excuse for Del Rio leaving, or other quarterbacks staying away. If the high expectations for him are correct, why would we think he'd come back for a second season at Alabama? He's already graduated. I've compared him to a Mettenberger with mobility as a way to kind of make the expectations more realistic (vs. the Winston comparisons), but Mettenberger looks to be a second round draft pick. Coker without having started a single game is listed as the 5th best quarterback in his class. If he has a good season there's a very good chance he's gone, and if he struggles? Then wouldn't that mean he wouldn't have a lock on the starting job?

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
True enough Del Rio does come from a family of means, but even so, doesn't it sound a lot better to say you decided to transfer because you wanted a scholarship and not because you were still probably going to be third in line (even at Alabama)? It is an easier reason to sell.
I'm not even sure his worry was Sims or Coker. It was probably more like Cornwell.
Not trying to bang on Del Rio at all. I think he is talented and hope he does well, but some guys are just better.
wow, sounds like you were there during the fall and spring...
great inside info on the real scoop of why Luke Del Rio decided to transfer.
...he was behind Sims bateman, and then with coker coming in, well...

and even though you said no banging on LDR, it still comes across the same.

unless we hear something more definitive, lets just take this as its been said.

Last edited:

bamapuppy

1st Team
Mar 28, 2008
Hillsborough, NC
But I very seriously doubt most college athletes would admit or even think they had little chance of playing time no matter where they went. Especially with LDR. If he had gotten to the point of being the guy that was going in if AJ got hurt then I think his chances of being able to play start somewhere else is pretty good.
I agree with you here. And, I also think that he will probably have a really good season next year as well. And, for the record, I hope eveything works out great for him. And, I would believe that the staff @ BAMA feels the same as I do. Good Luck Luke

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I am confident that CNS will play the QB that gives the team the best chance to win, and IMO he will not let the "feel good story of Sims" sway his decision. I think we all want what is best for the team.
I can guarantee everybody that our QB will be the player who gives us the best chance to win and that will be the only deciding factor. Coach Saban's pretty cut and dried when it comes to decisions like this. sip

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.