News Article: Luke Del Rio Opens Up About His Transfer

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Link

In a Friday interview with The Oregonian, Del Rio, whom Alabama coach Nick Saban often said was Alabama's third option behind AJ McCarron and Blake Sims, said he was told he would have played if McCarron got hurt.

Del Rio also said Alabama coaches told him he would be put on scholarship after his first season, but ultimately wasn't.

"(Saban) said, 'We’re not ready to make that commitment yet from a business perspective,'" Del Rio told The Oregonian. "He said if he had the numbers, then he would have done it. And I respected that.

"But I sort of saw the writing on the wall, and I left. I didn’t know who would still be interested."
Going to guess the numbers weren't right when the coaching staff learned Coker was serious about coming to Tuscaloosa.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Link

Going to guess the numbers weren't right when the coaching staff learned Coker was serious about coming to Tuscaloosa.
Has to make you feel good about Coker, because obviously the staff did. Does make you worry about Sims though. They considered Coker a better option and they didn't offer him a scholarship. I'm starting to pull for Blake but I think it's clear the staff is pulling for Coker.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Some folks aren't going to like that this basically says Blake Sims was probably not the real #2 last year, other than the guy who got the "clean up duty" late in games.

To clarify, what if probably means is that in a crunch, if A.J. wouldn't have gotten hurt and missed significant time, Del Rio would have probably been the best long term solution.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I agree that Sims wasn't the answer last year if AJ went down, but all indications from spring practice is that he has improved alot. We will see how much when Coker gets on campus in the fall. I'm pulling for Sims all the way, and I wish Del Rio the best as well. I trust CNS to make the right decision. I just hope that Blake makes it any easy decision for him.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Has to make you feel good about Coker, because obviously the staff did. Does make you worry about Sims though. They considered Coker a better option and they didn't offer him a scholarship. I'm starting to pull for Blake but I think it's clear the staff is pulling for Coker.
That may have been the case prior to Spring camp, but Saban has left no doubt who the #1 guy is through Spring practice. Blake is the solid #1 thus far. Does that mean everyone behind him is that bad? Or does it mean he's progressed more than the coaches expected? I'll go with the second.

CoolBreeze

Hall of Fame
Sep 18, 2002
Hoover
I question the motivation of anyone with resources like the Del Rio's making an issue of getting a scholarship as reason for leaving a program.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I question the motivation of anyone with resources like the Del Rio's making an issue of getting a scholarship as reason for leaving a program.
It wasn't just the scholarship, but he might've read through the lines that the staff felt Coker was a better option.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
That may have been the case prior to Spring camp, but Saban has left no doubt who the #1 guy is through Spring practice. Blake is the solid #1 thus far. Does that mean everyone behind him is that bad? Or does it mean he's progressed more than the coaches expected? I'll go with the second.
No doubt it means he's improved. I've also gotten the impression that Bateman has made strides too. But let's be honest. If LDR was the preferred choice if AJ went down last year even though Sims and Bateman were available also, but LKR is no longer on option, what else is CNS supposed to say?

I'm sure Blake has improved with increased reps, but there is a reason the staff reached out to Coker too.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
It wasn't just the scholarship, but he might've read through the lines that the staff felt Coker was a better option.
Just watching the two guys throw a football, there's not question who is more "prototypcial." That's one thing. But what's between the two ears is another thing and I was always under the impression that's how LDR may have seperated himself a little from the pack last year.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I think it was more the status thing about being a walkon...
That's it in a nutshell Earle. Kids have pride, and the first thing a girl on campus will ask you, if she knows you play football, is, "Are you on scholarship?". Tough question for a kid who's not, no matter what he's been promised.
Gotta remember too, this kid turned down scholarships at Oklahoma State and several other schools to "walk on at Bama".
I know football is a strategic business, but I can feel for Del Rio in this situation. I don't blame him.
And with all due respect to the Coker Nation, he hasn't proven anything, at any time, anywhere!!
My goodness I'm tired of hearing how he's the second coming of Joe Namath, without ever accomplishing anything at all.
sip

teamplayer

Hall of Fame
Jul 31, 2001
cullman, al, usa
That's it in a nutshell Earle. Kids have pride, and the first thing a girl on campus will ask you, if she knows you play football, is, "Are you on scholarship?". Tough question for a kid who's not, no matter what he's been promised.
Gotta remember too, this kid turned down scholarships at Oklahoma State and several other schools to "walk on at Bama".
I know football is a strategic business, but I can feel for Del Rio in this situation. I don't blame him.
And with all due respect to the Coker Nation, he hasn't proven anything, at any time, anywhere!!
My goodness I'm tired of hearing how he's the second coming of Joe Namath, without ever accomplishing anything at all.
sip
Yeah, but with Coker at QB, Duron Carter at WR, and Jimmy Johns playing both RB and LB, we will be unstoppable. :)

Al A Bama

Hall of Fame
Jun 24, 2011
I agree that Sims wasn't the answer last year if AJ went down, but all indications from spring practice is that he has improved alot. We will see how much when Coker gets on campus in the fall. I'm pulling for Sims all the way, and I wish Del Rio the best as well. I trust CNS to make the right decision. I just hope that Blake makes it any easy decision for him.
I can see the following scenario:

Bama vs WV

Sims is the starter for Bama vs WV. If things are not going well, I could see Mr. Coker in in a hurry. Here's hoping Mr. Sims shines as the starter and Bama ends up undefeated after all the games are played.

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
True enough Del Rio does come from a family of means, but even so, doesn't it sound a lot better to say you decided to transfer because you wanted a scholarship and not because you were still probably going to be third in line (even at Alabama)? It is an easier reason to sell.
I'm not even sure his worry was Sims or Coker. It was probably more like Cornwell.
Not trying to bang on Del Rio at all. I think he is talented and hope he does well, but some guys are just better.

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I'm sure it had to sting a little for Del Rio if he was told he'd get a scholarship, then, when that time came, told it wasn't going to happen, after all.

He seems like a good kid and I wish him well.

OreBama

All-American
Sep 26, 2005
Portland, OR
I think it is pathetic not to give this kid a scholarship, if indeed he was promised such. It doesn't matter if this kid is from a family of means or not. That's none of our business. With all this preaching that coaches do about honoring one's commitments, it is shameful that we did not.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.