Dabbo under attack from Freedom from Religion foundation

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Possibly. Depending on what you said and how you said it.

If you were really saying it differently because you thought some text had been added that was not a biblical account (there are different versions) that is one thing. If you didn't say anything at all and got the same treatment that is one thing. If you were obviously mocking, being disrespectful or even blasphemous in their eyes that is quite another.
The Roman Catholic version omits everything from "For thine is the kingdom..." forward. Other students took exception to my leaving that part out.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
The Roman Catholic version omits everything from "For thine is the kingdom..." forward. Other students took exception to my leaving that part out.
So you said every part of the prayer except that last part and they beat the crap out of you? I'm going to assume you said it in a normal sincere tone and not some mocking antagonizing manner.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Then yes, IMO that would qualify as counting. Unfortunately whether or not one professes to be a Christian does not make him immune to bad behavior, and as a Christian it embarrasses me when this happens.

I could be wrong. I don't see what Dabo was doing as equivalent or related to what happened to you. At the worst he may be as (one person put it in this thread) "voluntelling" people to do something, and I don't think there is evidence to indicate that is the case.

Again, there is no way to get this completely out of the system. Coaches will address issues based on their belief systems. I believe there needs to be systems in place to assure people have the freedom to make their choice and to some extent coexist (even though I am not one who would wear one of those coexist symbol t-shirts). I have no problem with someone trying to convince me to be atheist, agnostic, Wiccan, Muslim, or whatever. but I reserve the right to try to convince people of what I believe and why. IMO God gives us a choice whether to believe or not, and I should honor that choice. IMO my theology is not guaranteed to be perfect (because I am imperfect myself), so I should honor other's attempts to please God as they see fit. As long as Dabo is doing that I don't see a problem.

scrodz

1st Team
Jan 29, 2008
Baltimore, MD
So you said every part of the prayer except that last part and they beat the crap out of you? I'm going to assume you said it in a normal sincere tone and not some mocking antagonizing manner.
This was the daily prayer, right after the pledge (Remember those days?). I just stopped praying at that point, and let the rest of the class finish. It didn't go over well.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.