Link: NY Times drops a dime on Jameis Winston "investigation"

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
So.....given the highly questionable (so-called) investigation.....you have to also ask how the Heisman voters could have with clear conscience voted for Winston at all - let alone what resulted in a win. (?)

I realized many voters simply did not vote - I think it set a record didn't it?

To me that speaks volumes.

Part of the criteria for that award includes character.

Ha......that's a joke.

A.J. was ripped off --- and that really irritates me! :mad:

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
So.....given the highly questionable (so-called) investigation.....you have to also ask how the Heisman voters could have with clear conscience voted for Winston at all - let alone what resulted in a win. (?)

I realized many voters simply did not vote - I think it set a record didn't it?

To me that speaks volumes.

Part of the criteria for that award includes character.

Ha......that's a joke.

A.J. was ripped off --- and that really irritates me! :mad:
I remember Stewart Mandel or someone posting a snarky tweet about how all they could do was vote based on the performance on the field.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
It isn't okay to give FSU or the police department a pass because Alabama has made a few decisions with which you personally disagree. And robbery/battery are not rape - or even close.
I don't think you understood my point, sorry I wasn't more clear.

I'm not giving FSU or any police department any passes.

I'm also not trying to minimize rape, but being picked at random and being attacked and beaten unconscious and left that way on the sidewalk is serious stuff also.

If he had been convicted of rape he wouldn't be back for the following season. Not even close.
I'm not talking about a criminal conviction, just a finding from FSU that he no longer was fit to be on their team.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I don't think you understood my point, sorry I wasn't more clear.

I'm not giving FSU or any police department any passes.

I'm also not trying to minimize rape, but being picked at random and being attacked and beaten unconscious and left that way on the sidewalk is serious stuff also.
If he had been convicted of rape he wouldn't be back for the following season. Not even close. I think the average prison time for those convicted of rape is eight years. So your point is kind of irrelevant.

Last edited:

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
I'm not talking about a criminal conviction, just a finding from FSU that he no longer was fit to be on their team.
Either Jameis raped her, or they had consensual sex. What could they have found, other than rape, that warranted him being kicked off the team? I just don't see anything between rape and consensual sex that could have such consequences.

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
I remember Stewart Mandel or someone posting a snarky tweet about how all they could do was vote based on the performance on the field.
Well I don't understand how he can say that......here's the exact mission statement from the award website (note highlighted text):

Heisman Trust Mission Statement

The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work. The Heisman Trophy Trust ensures the continuation and integrity of this award. The Trust, furthermore, has a charitable mission to support amateur athletics and to provide greater opportunities to the youth of our country. Our goal through these charitable endeavors is for the Heisman Trophy to symbolize the fostering of a sense of community responsibility and service to our youth, especially those disadvantaged or afflicted. All assets of the Trust beyond the expense of maintaining the annual presentation of the Heisman Memorial Trophy are reserved for such charitable causes. The Trustees, who all serve pro bono, are guided by a devotion to college football and are committed to community service and the valued tradition which the Trophy represents.

Based on their mission statement.....it appears they blew it with Winston's selection. IMHO, he shouldn't have even been in attendance.

Then there's this:

The Heisman Trust mission statement says: "The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."
It's a statement that has put the Heisman in awkward situations before. In 2010, Cam Newton played the season under the cloud of an NCAA investigation. He had also had legal troubles while in college. But like Winston, there was no doubt he was the best player and he won the award.
Reggie Bush had his 2005 Heisman stripped after the NCAA determined he had violated its rules during that season. But the Heisman trust did not ask Billy Cannon and O.J. Simpson to return their Heismans after they were sent to prison.
The accusations against Winston were serious and documents released by the police with the accuser's allegations were not flattering to him. It probably explains why so many voters left him out of their top three. Last year, Manziel appeared on 92 percent of the ballots. Winston appeared on 87 percent this year.

Unfortunately (IMHO) the Heisman just isn't what it used to be..... :rolleyes:

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Bush only lost his Heisman after it came to light he violated NCAA rules. Cam was in the clear as far as the NCAA was concerned and Cannon and simpson's actions were long after they left college.

major tidefan

All-American
Jul 3, 2006
Boaz,AL
[video]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-qb-jameis-winston-was-honored-by-his-hometown-over-the-weekend--photos-153823820.html[/video]

His high school coach and the commissioner of his youth football league both retired his jerseys, the latter praising Winston as "a young man of character on and off the field."

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
[video]http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/florida-state-qb-jameis-winston-was-honored-by-his-hometown-over-the-weekend--photos-153823820.html[/video]

His high school coach and the commissioner of his youth football league both retired his jerseys, the latter praising Winston as "a young man of character on and off the field."

My wife told me that when we got married she thought she was marrying a personality, but all she got was a character. Character, interesting word.

Bodhisattva

Hall of Fame
Aug 22, 2001
Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida

From the comments:

To celebrate, everyone raped each other and ate stolen crab legs on Jameis Winston Day.

:biggrin::p:cool:

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I don't have any daughters but I pray to god we don't have any of that type attitude at our University or Tuscaloosa. Based on recent history with our players and police it doesn't appear as if we do at that level and I cannot imagine Coach Saban, the Athletic Department or the University Administration condoning this type behavior.

Apparently Jimbo Fisher didn't learn everything he should have from his time with Coach Saban.

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I'm trying to decide if FSU had taken a different approach...

Conducted a legitimate investigation followed by dismissing him from the team. Then, a year later, after his rehabilitation is done, welcome him back to the team.

Would Bama fans be satisfied the right thing had been done? Just asking...
Not no but you know what no.

IMALOYAL1

All-American
Oct 28, 2000
Birmingham AL
As a grandparent. (dang time flies) Single parent with full custody of a daughter since she was 3 , we've talked many times about her actions when she was a teenager. She's now married, has 2 daughters and a son. She is not looking forward to when the oldest daughter becomes 13.

I don't like Jameis or his dad but I'm uncomfortable labeling him a rapist.

This post was edited down to keep it off the NSB. Only a few people know the whole story and that's more than most when a rape charge is declared.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.