Link: NY Times drops a dime on Jameis Winston "investigation"

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The most disgusting part:
The news that Mr. Winston had been accused of rape moved through campus like an electric charge. On social media, the discussion quickly lost any semblance of civility, prompting one female student to send an email expressing her anger to Mary Coburn, vice president for student affairs.

“All day every day I am bombarded with messages of hatred for the alleged victim,” the woman wrote. “I am sad and ashamed to be part of a student body that is quick to support a man who is accused of sexual assault, simply because he is a good football player, and even quicker to condemn the alleged victim of the crime as a liar.”

Aledinho

All-SEC
Feb 22, 2007
First why didn't YAHOO sports or any of the other investigative sports reporters have similar stories? Are you too busy protecting the world from fifty dollar handshakes?

Second, why is the NCAA not investigating this in the same way they investigated Penn State?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
First why didn't YAHOO sports or any of the other investigative sports reporters have similar stories? Are you too busy protecting the world from fifty dollar handshakes?

Second, why is the NCAA not investigating this in the same way they investigated Penn State?

As bad as the Winston case looks for the school, police and state prosecutors, at this point it doesn't involve generational cover-ups by the head coach and university president, or involve the number of victims.

It is interesting to point out that the Times story includes another woman who slept with Winston and who appears to have sought university help. That jibes with Earle-led discussions here on how Winston allegedly behaved at Hueytown.

CrimsonPride25

1st Team
Jul 25, 2012
Mobile, Al
I understand that Winston will most likely never be tried for this situation but what I do not understand is how the entire Tallahassee Police Department has not been looked into from top to bottom. I think it is pretty obvious that there are some major issues with these multiple cases not being properly investigated.

AlistarWills

All-American
Jul 26, 2006
I understand that Winston will most likely never be tried for this situation but what I do not understand is how the entire Tallahassee Police Department has not been looked into from top to bottom. I think it is pretty obvious that there are some major issues with these multiple cases not being properly investigated.
Because the fandom runs all the way to the top!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
The fact that some people would intentionally mishandle rape allegations for the sake of a football program is beyond deplorable.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The fact that some people would intentionally mishandle rape allegations for the sake of a football program is beyond deplorable.
While I certainly am NOT comparing the situations precisely, we didn't exactly handle the DuBose affair adequately ourselves. Even as he denied it, the ptb knew he was lying his tail off. We did, however, learn from it and handled the Price situation far better.

These college towns are pretty much run by the football team if it is a power.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
one thing that was curious to me as a former criminal defense attorney was when meggs said more than once that the prosecution does not seek charges unless there is a reasonable likelihood they will get a conviction. this is not the law in any place i'm aware of. i even reached out to some of the prosecutors i know and they were flabbergasted by that comment. in order to charge someone, all you need is probable cause to believe they have been involved in criminal activity, which is not the same thing as a reasonable likelihood of conviction. it is a far lower standard than that. you don't even have to reach that high a standard to get a grand jury indictment. it was pretty clear from the get go that meggs never intended to charge winston with anything and that he was looking for excuses not to. i don't know what happened between winston and the young lady, but meggs' intentions were pretty obvious.

gman4tide

All-SEC
Nov 21, 2005
Flint Creek
While I certainly am NOT comparing the situations precisely, we didn't exactly handle the DuBose affair adequately ourselves. Even as he denied it, the ptb knew he was lying his tail off. We did, however, learn from it and handled the Price situation far better.

These college towns are pretty much run by the football team if it is a power.
I understand that the university didn't handle the DuBose AFFAIR properly. But isn't rape and an affair between two consenting adults completely different? Did i miss something on the DuBose thing? I understand the ptb lying to cover is not a good thing, but it makes no difference to me if folks wanna mess around. However, covering for an alleged rapist is deplorable.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
It's painfully clear that the very people capable of finding evidence against Winston took sides early on. They had a horse in the race. I'm just glad Winston didn't come here.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Exactly Krazy & I agree 100% with ya..Being a daddy of two beautiful Baby Girls myself, they & all females safety will always come before college football to me..I love College Football as much as any College Football Fan possibly can, and should one of our football players rape a gal, I would be ticked off to no end, if it was covered up like FSU & the Tallahassee police did for Jameis, cause protecting our females should always trump any & all things doing with a football player.. All it does is enable a rapist & gives him the green light to do it again to another co-ed..And that's not acceptable in the least bit..

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
I understand that the university didn't handle the DuBose AFFAIR properly. But isn't rape and an affair between two consenting adults completely different? Did i miss something on the DuBose thing? I understand the ptb lying to cover is not a good thing, but it makes no difference to me if folks wanna mess around. However, covering for an alleged rapist is deplorable.
The larger point was the fact that this is the football culture that caused the problems at Penn State and this appears to be the same thing. DuBose was simply an example. OBVIOUSLY adultery and rape are light years away in terms of lethal/criminal outcomes - although since DuBose was a state employee and it was determined to "really" be sexual harrassment (why did he pay her if it wasn't?), that opens up another whole can of worms.

Tallahassee PD appears to have "known" how this "should have" come out. Not throwing in Tuscaloosa PD here, but I am saying our ptb did not handle that situation with clean hands, either.

I made clear the parallel was NOT precise. And at least in our case, we have shown in subsequent cases (Price with adultery and the four thugs kicked off the team last year) a better commitment to law and order.

DzynKingRTR

TideFans Legend
Dec 17, 2003
Vinings, ga., usa
If all the allegations turn out to be true (rape, cover-up). Then FSU deserves the death penalty and everyone involved deserves jail time. This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach and if you every read a comment section about this the FSU people are either blind or stupid or just as sick as the rapist. They are defending Winston and trashing the girl. Their defense is the "facts". I am almost positive they are not reading the same report as I am.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.