Link: NY Times drops a dime on Jameis Winston "investigation"

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
If all the allegations turn out to be true (rape, cover-up). Then FSU deserves the death penalty and everyone involved deserves jail time. This whole thing makes me sick to my stomach and if you every read a comment section about this the FSU people are either blind or stupid or just as sick as the rapist. They are defending Winston and trashing the girl. Their defense is the "facts". I am almost positive they are not reading the same report as I am.
Maybe I missed something, but aren't we talking about the TPD covering up evidence and not FSU, the school?

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
The school knew almost immediately about the incident. The assistant AD called the TPD to inquire about the status. The school is in it just as deep according to the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
The school knew almost immediately about the incident. The assistant AD called the TPD to inquire about the status. The school is in it just as deep according to the article.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, I should have read the thread closer.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
I don't think there is anything in that article that we didn't already know. It was pretty obvious back in December that everyone involved, even Meggs, was doing everything they could to protect FSU's BSC title run.

Last edited:

tidefan26

1st Team
Dec 5, 2005
South Alabama
I don't think there is anything in that article that we didn't already know. It was pretty obvious back in December that everyone involved, even Meggs, was doing everything they could to protect FSU's BSC title run.
In my opinion, the intent of the article was to refocus the public in the post Heisman/Championship euphoria. I agree that JM and by proxy the program were protected at all costs up to and including Meggs late involvement. It's a disgusting incident and like an earlier poster said, I'm THANKFUL JW didn't choose Bama.

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
When the decision was made not to prosecute, I thought this ain't over due to the Title IX implications. Sort of like when they got Capone for tax evasion. Could be interesting.

rgw

Suspended
Sep 15, 2003
Tuscaloosa
It's too far gone to right a wronged 2013 championship game but I hope the DoE/DoJ burn the sucker down in the next few years.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
Yup..Coach Bowden at one time had a solid football program & stayed way past his prime..And it allowed the "Inmates To Run The Asylum" to put it nicely..I was hoping Jimbo would straighten the football program back up to respectability & obviously that's not the case..He's allowing it to become an even bigger joke before he became the HC actually..
FSU is still FSU - that place has always been a pit.

Last edited by a moderator:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Yup..Coach Bowden at one time had a solid football program & stayed way past his prime..And it allowed the "Inmates To Run The Asylum" to put it nicely..I was hoping Jimbo would straighten the football program back up to respectability & obviously that's not the case..He's allowing it to become an even bigger joke before he became the HC actually..
I grew up down there - believe me when I say you would NOT have wanted Bowden at Alabama. Free Shoes University was the tip of the iceberg - they've so desperately wanted to be a football power the powers that be sold their collective souls LONG ago...

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
The larger point was the fact that this is the football culture that caused the problems at Penn State and this appears to be the same thing. DuBose was simply an example. OBVIOUSLY adultery and rape are light years away in terms of lethal/criminal outcomes - although since DuBose was a state employee and it was determined to "really" be sexual harrassment (why did he pay her if it wasn't?), that opens up another whole can of worms.

Tallahassee PD appears to have "known" how this "should have" come out. Not throwing in Tuscaloosa PD here, but I am saying our ptb did not handle that situation with clean hands, either.

I made clear the parallel was NOT precise. And at least in our case, we have shown in subsequent cases (Price with adultery and the four thugs kicked off the team last year) a better commitment to law and order.
I have to take some issue with this, Bill. I had a good bit of insight into the situation at that time, with a relative on the BOT and a close relative of a good friend on the board in addition. The problem was the highest levels of the PTB, if you want that to mean the BOT and the president were cut off from knowledge they should have had. The AD acted on his own. He kept most of the facts to himself and it infuriated the BOT. That led to the creation of the "athletic oversight committee" on the BOT, which was basically the board members interested in athletics. They still do not micro-manage. For example, in the Price situation, most of the BOT probably wanted him retained, at least for a year, but Dr. Witt took his stand, with his job on the line. If I have a complaint about the BOT now, it's that one man has come to have too much control. However, the good side is that he's absolutely paranoid about NCAA troubles and he's still not a micro-manager, so the AD and the HCs are left to do their jobs. To revert to the original point, it wasn't a case at all of the top level of the PTB being involved. If the NCAA had felt they were, they would have charged us with LOIC, which they did not. It was not SMU all over again. My relative said to me, after finding out that Dubose had been extended, "Earle, he made it look like it was all about wins and losses." I feel comfortable that those circumstances will not be repeated, at least not anytime soon. It's still a better BOT, with less politics, than the BOT across the state...

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I had no idea it was that bad down there Brad & I believe you 100% Brother..Back then I wasn't on a computer as much as I am these days..All I knew was how they portrayed Diddy & his program during TV games..Obviously they were blowing a load of BS to make Diddy & FSU look better for recruiting purposes..
I grew up down there - believe me when I say you would NOT have wanted Bowden at Alabama. Free Shoes University was the tip of the iceberg - they've so desperately wanted to be a football power the powers that be sold their collective souls LONG ago...

IGetBuckets

Suspended
Jan 13, 2014
That was not a dime, that was a Hydrogen bomb.

What a great article, well worth the investment of a little time to read and reflect on it.

Tider@GW_Law

All-American
Sep 16, 2007
Sacramento, CA
I'm shocked that this happened at a bar that serves all you can drink alcohol and allows in 18 year olds.

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

It is a bit disturbing that a woman who even admitted to consensual sex with him sought counseling after her experience. I believe this kid may have real problems - problems that often get worse with age.

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
Their response amounts to, "We gave the NY Times a few vague non-answers. We are not sure why those non-answers were not included in their piece, but here they are for you to read:"

After reading their response, I would never let a daughter attend FSU. Times like these, I am glad that we only had boys.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
I've always felt that Bowden was a hypocrit and a fraud. It turns my stomach to see him deified the way he is by most of the people who cover college football. He spouts a few "dadgums" and makes a few paid speeches at churches and quarterback clubs and everybody treats him like their kindly, God-fearing grandpa who has nothing in his heart but the best intererests of college football and humanity as a whole. BB doesn't care about anything but himself and what lines his pockets.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.