Link: Rolando McClain comes out of retirement again, lands with Cowboys...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Re: Rolando McClain Reinstated by the Baltimore Ravens

Sounds like money was the only reason he came back and he soon realized that wasn't enough. Good for him. Even the players that are in it for the money have a lot of fun along the way. It's obvious that McClain wasn't (having fun). He made it sound like the NFL was a chore for him.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama

Yeah they could do a case study on Ro & write a medical book on the findings ..Dude has something wrong with his mental & psychological demeanor..
I'm starting to think that along with emotional issues Ro might have some mental issues as well. I'm not saying he's a nut job but something might not be clicking upstairs, like chemically.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

Sounds like money was the only reason he came back and he soon realized that wasn't enough. Good for him. Even the players that are in it for the money have a lot of fun along the way. It's obvious that McClain wasn't (having fun). He made it sound like the NFL was a chore for him.
I'd agree. If his heart isn't in it and he doesn't need the money, he did right and stepped away.

rtcjny

All-SEC
Jan 27, 2011
Hartselle ,AL

I just hope he stays away from Decatur. He doesn't need to go back and get mixed up with his old crew.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL

Wow that did not last long. Guess he felt it was worth one more try but when he got there and recalled what it really entailed he decided it was not really for him. I hope that finds something rewarding to do with his life and does not go into a downward spiril.

WylieTexasTider

All-American
Sep 24, 2006

I will never understand what is going thru that guy's head. Why did he even try to come back if he didn't care to begin with? This makes no sense at all. Hopefully he will find out what does "make him complete".
Maybe he had lots of people pushing him to give the NFL one more try and once he started the process he realized it is not what he wants to do. I noticed he said he wants to get his degree and coach. I bet he could help a lot of kids, kind of like how by all reports Coach Saban helped him! Money is money, it can't buy hapiness and I give him all the credit in the world if he has decided to follow his heart.

bamabryan

Hall of Fame
Jan 1, 2006
Alabaster, AL.

There is no shame in walking away from something if your heart is not in it but what a waste. When he was at Alabama he was like a second coach on the field. He's very talented, knows the game of football and was one of the very best LB's we've ever had at Alabama.

I hope he finds happiness and is able to keep his life in order. Best of luck Ro.

JDCrimson

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2006

Well, all I can say is he better find something constructive to do with his time. I know several people, some of them relatives, who retired to early and didnt have plan to occupy their time and all of this have succumbed to addiction or mental illness. Someone once told me you're eccentric if you're rich; you're crazy if you are poor. Personally, I have too many bills to pay and mouths to feed to afford to be crazy nor the luxury to become eccentric...

My job is not my passion but having been unemployed before I appreciate my job more than I have in the past simply because it gives me something to do and do it well. Unemployment is terrible on one's psyche...

All I can say is good luck to him...

alabama mike1

All-American
Jul 12, 2013
Ohio

Hopefully, he can get everything in his life straightened out. I wish him well.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN

I had dinner with a former NFL offensive lineman a while back, and he said something that has stuck with me. Me and a few others at the table were talking about how cool it must have been to play in the NFL.
He basically said, "To you, it is a game. But to us, it is a job. Just like yours. When you turn on the TV, it is exciting, but for me, it's just another day at the office. I faced intense pressure every single day - like if I had one bad day, I would get fired. If I didn't get along with teammates, I would get fired. I'm just glad I don't have to deal with that anymore."
This was an NFL veteran that many would recognize.

I wonder if Ro just can't deal with the pressure. Maybe it is an emotional problem - heck, a lot of men have these kinds of problems. Maybe the big money was part of the problem. Maybe he just wants a "normal" life with no leeches, no big money, and no crazy pressure.

Anyway, its hard to judge him right now. It looks like a dumb decision, but who knows? Maybe he is making a great choice and staying in the NFL would break him...

WalkaboutSean

1st Team
Nov 23, 2010

This is a textbook example of what can happen when a guy makes a ton of money in a lump sum.

Ro got a huge payday when he signed his NFL deal. Unless he goes totally nuts, he's set for life financially. He got $23 million guaranteed from the Raiders. Even after taxes and management fees, he's set.

So what's his incentive to go out there and play football? Arguably, there is none.

In fact, considering the recent revelations concerning concussions and head trauma, Ro is arguably making a wise decision. Hopefully he can transition into something productive for his next chapter.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
Re: Rolando McClain retires again.

A guy in his mid-twenties, in good health and set financially...he's got the world by the tail if you ask me. I understand his fans would prefer to see him keep playing, but reading this thread you'd think he was headed to his funeral rather than having the entire world open to him... in a way few can experience, given his nice bank account.

He's got two toddlers, maybe he wants to home school them...

He's big on giving away turkeys in his hometown, maybe he wants to give away more turkeys statewide.

I wish him luck with whatever he tries to do and I think he's realized there is no upside to being sarcastic with policemen.

Bamaro

TideFans Legend
Oct 19, 2001
Jacksonville, Md USA
Re: Rolando McClain retires again.

A guy in his mid-twenties, in good health and set financially...he's got the world by the tail if you ask me. I understand his fans would prefer to see him keep playing, but reading this thread you'd think he was headed to his funeral rather than having the entire world open to him... in a way few can experience, given his nice bank account.

He's got two toddlers, maybe he wants to home school them...

He's big on giving away turkeys in his hometown, maybe he wants to give away more turkeys statewide.

I wish him luck with whatever he tries to do and I think he's realized there is no upside to being sarcastic with policemen.
He may wind up with way too much time on his hands. I hope not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.