Question: Is the Heartbleed Bug a serious issue?

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Yes it is very serious. What is most important is verifying your web servers or devices that have web servers built in to them and use SSL are not built using the affected OpenSSL library. It is relatively simple to exploit, even easier to determine if the server/web farm is vulnerable, and all of the information needed to build an exploit is easily attainable.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
Yes it is very serious. What is most important is verifying your web servers or devices that have web servers built in to them and use SSL are not built using the affected OpenSSL library. It is relatively simple to exploit, even easier to determine if the server/web farm is vulnerable, and all of the information needed to build an exploit is easily attainable.
Hopefully the services you connect to are patching their issues. One thing people should do is take this as a healthy wakeup call to recognize personal password policy. Using something like a password manager, not using the same password for all of your logins, changing your passwords, ensuring you have strong passwords, etc, are all things many people don't think is important.

Here is a good article that might be of use.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-guide-to-password-security-and-why-you-should-care/

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Hopefully the services you connect to are patching their issues. One thing people should do is take this as a healthy wakeup call to recognize personal password policy. Using something like a password manager, not using the same password for all of your logins, changing your passwords, ensuring you have strong passwords, etc, are all things many people don't think is important.

Here is a good article that might be of use.

http://www.cnet.com/how-to/the-guide-to-password-security-and-why-you-should-care/
I agree. My point of view was more form a host and provider than from a consumer of a service. There are a lot of devices have web server interfaces in them now that use SSL and that particular library. I spent a good deal of time last night upgrading firmware in routers that were affected.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I've not worried too much about the big boys. I've always thought the real problem will lie with the smaller to medium-sized websites, many of which farm out their IT. For example, my wife bought something from a small website, directing that her information not be saved. The next time she returned to it, she saw her credit card number being auto-filled. She complained via email. The response clearly showed that the CS girl who replied hadn't the slightest idea of what Liz was saying or what she (CS) was doing...

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
One other thing to consider. If you have been told by an internet service you use that they have patched their systems and you need to change your password, make sure they have a new certificate first. If the certificate is not changed, and the vulnerability was exploited, changing the password now makes no difference if the key for the old certificate has been obtained.

gmart74

Hall of Fame
Oct 9, 2005
Baltimore, Md
Whenever things like this happen, you will get tons of emails telling you to click this link to reset your password for a site. Do not ever click the link to access your website. That is the easiest way for someone to spoof the site and steal your password.

example:
you get an email from bank of america to click on a link to reset your password. close that email, open up your brower, and physically type in www.bankofamerica.com and then login and reset.

2003TIDE

Hall of Fame
Jul 10, 2007
ATL
I've always thought the real problem will lie with the smaller to medium-sized websites, many of which farm out their IT. .
This really isn't the case here. OpenSSL is widely used on sites small and large. I haven't seen very many banking institutions, but if you can get into Facebook and email of a person you are really a couple of steps away from being able to log into a person's bank account. I'd be willing to wager at least 90% of people reuse passwords. Box.com and Dropbox were hit too. How many people you think keep financial related documents there?

Again we are talking about Facebook, Google, Amazon (for AWS. These are big IT companies.

Last edited:

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
This really isn't the case here. OpenSSL is widely used on sites small and large. I haven't seen very many banking institutions, but if you can get into Facebook and email of a person you are really a couple of steps away from being able to log into a person's bank account. I'd be willing to wager at least 90% of people reuse passwords. Box.com and Dropbox were hit too. How many people you think keep financial related documents there?

Again we are talking about Facebook, Google, Amazon (for AWS. These are big IT companies.

The big guys will get patched fast, the little guys not so much.

A lot tend to just let them run without patching, and do not have the IT knowledge to patch, or the motivation to spend the money. The fact that it affected the cheapest system one could use for a web farm (or an embedded system on a device for that matter) puts it right in that wheel house. There are tons of LAMP implementations that use OpenSSL library for the secure side. At least a 3rd of sites on the internet by some that measure it were affected.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.