Does your pediatrician not treat kids whose parents refuse vaccinations?

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
And more - many older adults have either lost their immunity or somehow dodged a childhood disease. If an adult has shingles, then they've lost their immunity to chicken pox, which can be dangerous in an adult. Mumps were sort of hit or miss when I was a kid, unlike chicken pox and measles. I've never had mumps and the vaccine didn't exist. Both diseases can be dangerous for adults. I used to not worry about it, because vaccination was just about universal. It's now a real worry. BTW, you still can't contract chicken pox from a person with shingles...
I never got chicken pox, mumps, or measles, although all my siblings did. Knowing now what those three can do to the adult male, I no longer think of those avoidances as fortunate.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I never got chicken pox, mumps, or measles, although all my siblings did. Knowing now what those three can do to the adult male, I no longer think of those avoidances as fortunate.
I've thought seriously about having the vaccinations, which adults still can. I've had the shingles, pneumonia and flu. I get the flu shot every year, because of my recent heart problems, having no flu shot would increase my chances of dying by around 30%...

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
I've thought seriously about having the vaccinations, which adults still can. I've had the shingles, pneumonia and flu. I get the flu shot every year, because of my recent heart problems, having no flu shot would increase my chances of dying by around 30%...
I've never looked into it, although I just might. Of course, I never bothered getting a checkup until last year. The oncoming sound of 50 has made me consider things a little differently.

cbi1972

Hall of Fame
Nov 8, 2005
Birmingham, AL
Re: Does your pediatrician not treat kids who's parents refuse vaccinations?

There's a BIG difference between helping your uncle jack off a horse and helping your Uncle Jack off a horse.

First I was like *this* and then he was like *this* and then we were like *that* and then I was like WHOOOAAAAAA

seebell

Hall of Fame
Mar 12, 2012
Gurley, Al
Re: Does your pediatrician not treat kids who's parents refuse vaccinations?

CA, would you mind making the correction please? For the record I simply was in a hurry and made a mistake and didn't proof read. But I'm sure that statement will be thoroughly refuted with a complete dissertation as to how that could not have been the case and that I simply have no concept of grammar and walk around licking windows, wiping drool from the side of my mouth and having my knuckles drag the ground.

#missingtheforestforthetrees
A road sign near Buzzard's house!

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
No one should force a parent to inject their kids with a "potentially" dangerous substance or force them to take medications or treatments against their beliefs either. (I vaccinated my children, but I respect parent's rights and individual's rights who choose not to.)
unvaccinated kids put vaccinated kids and adults at risk.

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Rather than clutter this up with all the quotes, I will just respond here with a question; one that I do not know the answer to but one to which many of you have alluded. You have said that an unvaccinated child puts all the vaccinated children at risk. I have to therefore ask, if the vaccinated children are protected from a disease to which the unvaccinated are potentially vulnerable to, how are they in any danger?
vaccines provide herd immunity, which, in addition to the vaccine itself, helps to limit the spread of disease. (this is a way oversimplified explanation, but i think it hits the major points.)

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama
From my understanding the main concern is for the babies who haven't reached the appropriate age to get their shots. Not all vaccination shots are given at the same time. So for instance if a baby in a church nursery hasn't reached the age to be given vaccinations that come in contact with older kids whose parents do not get them vaccinated. Then you've got a baby/child at risk. The herd immunity theory comes into play at that point.

I just saw this. This is exactly what I was referring to above.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
And more - many older adults have either lost their immunity or somehow dodged a childhood disease. If an adult has shingles, then they've lost their immunity to chicken pox, which can be dangerous in an adult. Mumps were sort of hit or miss when I was a kid, unlike chicken pox and measles. I've never had mumps and the vaccine didn't exist. Both diseases can be dangerous for adults. I used to not worry about it, because vaccination was just about universal. It's now a real worry. BTW, you still can't contract chicken pox from a person with shingles...
Having shingles does not mean you've lost immunity to and can thus get chicken pox again (unsure of exactly what you were saying there so just trying to clarify). It does mean the virus, which has been hiding away in the nerve roots has become active again, which is why shingles most often affects only a single or perhaps 2 adjacent dermatomes. A shingles rash that is weeping is also shedding virus and is capable of spreading chicken pox to someone who comes into contact with it if that person has no immunity to the chicken pox virus. Shingles cannot be spread to another person, though. A person with shingles typically does not have to worry about spreading it through sneezes and coughs except in very uncommon circumstances, or so it is thought. Real world cases have not always supported this view, though.

The worst illness I've ever experienced as an adult was chickenpox. I actually had a mild (documented) case as a child , but got it again when my dad had shingles. It's rare it happens that way, but then again I'm a non-converter after 3 hep b vac series plus a booster even though my immune system is otherwise quite competent. I didn't realize what it was at first because I've rarely seen it. I just thought my shirt was irritating my collarbone area where maybe I had a mosquito bite. The next morning I woke up and had a rash all over my head (dew drop on a rose petal) and it just kept spreading. I still doubted myself because I had been tested and was seropositive, which usually denotes immunity. An NP and MD both confirmed the diagnosis. Man, the fever, chills, sweats, and dear lord the aches! I itch just thinking about it. lol.

Since some will doubt my story (and no, I am not the subject of this case study):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106231/

A 32-year-old physician with a history of chickenpox at age 5 and seropositivity to varicella-zoster virus (VZV) at age 30 developed fever and vesicular rash 14 days after examining an immunocompetent patient with localized herpes zoster ophthalmicus. Vesicular viral culture grew VZV, and the physician was diagnosed with VZV reinfection....

...Her occupational exposure history included examination of an immunocompetent adult with localized herpes zoster ophthalmicus 14 days prior to symptom onset. The physician spent approximately 20 min in close contact with the zoster patient and wore gloves during the entire encounter. The lesions were covered with medical gauze, and the physician briefly lifted the gauze for examination. Of note, the zoster patient had received first doses of valacyclovir and oral steroids <12 h earlier. Aside from this patient, the physician had no other known exposures to individuals with varicella infection during the preceding weeks. The physician had contracted chickenpox from her brother at age 5, and she had a positive varicella immunoglobulin G (IgG) antibody enzyme immunoassay result compatible with qualitative immunity at age 30. ...

...Primary varicella infection confers natural immunity and generally protects against reinfection. Seroprevalence studies indicate that >90% of adults in the United States have antibodies to VZV. Reinfection with VZV is not well understood but may occur more commonly than previously thought. A pediatric varicella active surveillance study revealed 9947 cases of VZV infection; in 4.5%–13.3% of these cases, a previous varicella infection was reported [1]. A similar adult varicella active surveillance study revealed 1,047 cases of VZV infection; in 21% of these cases, the patient reported a history of varicella, and in 3% of cases, the patient had been vaccinated [2]. Importantly, case reports demonstrate that reinfection with VZV can occur even in seropositive individuals...

...The CDC recommends airborne and contact isolation for hospitalized patients with varicella or disseminated herpes zoster and for immunocompromised patients with localized herpes zoster [8]. Presumably, these patients have a higher viral burden and more lesions that can aerosolize virus. In contrast, the CDC recommends standard precautions for immunocompetent patients with localized zoster lesions that can be covered, such as the index case in this report [8]. Nosocomial transmission of VZV from immunocompetent patients with herpes zoster has traditionally been thought to occur by means of direct contact with infectious particles. However, nosocomial transmission of VZV from patients with localized herpes zoster has been documented among health care providers who never had direct contact with the index case, which suggests airborne routes of transmission [912]. Consequently, some hospitals go beyond the CDC recommendations, placing all patients with varicella and herpes zoster (disseminated or localized) in airborne and contact isolation [13]. Reports suggestive of airborne transmission of VZV from immunocompetent patients with localized herpes zoster, and recovery of DNA samples from the environment of patients with appropriately covered lesions, raise questions about appropriate isolation precautions [9, 10, 14]. The presence of VZV DNA does not necessarily signify infectivity, and more conclusive data on the airborne transmission dynamics of VZV are needed to define optimal isolation strategies.

Our case is unique in that a young, immunocompetent physician with documented childhood disease and recently confirmed serum IgG antibodies became reinfected with VZV after exposure to an immunocompetent patient with localized herpes zoster. This case raises concerns for possible aerosolized transmission of VZV given the lack of direct contact with the vesicular lesions. It also serves as a cautionary tale for health care providers. Seropositivity does not always result in protective immunity against subsequent varicella infection, and health care providers can develop reinfection via occupational exposure.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Having shingles does not mean you've lost immunity to and can thus get chicken pox again (unsure of exactly what you were saying there so just trying to clarify). It does mean the virus, which has been hiding away in the nerve roots has become active again, which is why shingles most often affects only a single or perhaps 2 adjacent dermatomes. A shingles rash that is weeping is also shedding virus and is capable of spreading chicken pox to someone who comes into contact with it if that person has no immunity to the chicken pox virus. Shingles cannot be spread to another person, though. A person with shingles typically does not have to worry about spreading it through sneezes and coughs except in very uncommon circumstances, or so it is thought. Real world cases have not always supported this view, though.

The worst illness I've ever experienced as an adult was chickenpox. I actually had a mild (documented) case as a child , but got it again when my dad had shingles. It's rare it happens that way, but then again I'm a non-converter after 3 hep b vac series plus a booster even though my immune system is otherwise quite competent. I didn't realize what it was at first because I've rarely seen it. I just thought my shirt was irritating my collarbone area where maybe I had a mosquito bite. The next morning I woke up and had a rash all over my head (dew drop on a rose petal) and it just kept spreading. I still doubted myself because I had been tested and was seropositive, which usually denotes immunity. An NP and MD both confirmed the diagnosis. Man, the fever, chills, sweats, and dear lord the aches! I itch just thinking about it. lol.

Since some will doubt my story (and no, I am not the subject of this case study):

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3106231/
So you CAN get herpes from toilet seats - I KNEW IT!!!!!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.