Does your pediatrician not treat kids whose parents refuse vaccinations?

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Re: Does your pediatrician not treat kids who's parents refuse vaccinations?

Can some of you PLEASE LEARN GRAMMAR!!!

It's WHOSE, not WHO'S!!!!!

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

You need more problems. I'll pray for you some.
I'm like Earle (but without any power) - it's one thing if it's in a post but the thread just jumps out at me and makes me scream.

I figure there's probably already a lawyer sending someone in to do this one.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

CA, would you mind making the correction please? For the record I simply was in a hurry and made a mistake and didn't proof read. But I'm sure that statement will be thoroughly refuted with a complete dissertation as to how that could not have been the case and that I simply have no concept of grammar and walk around licking windows, wiping drool from the side of my mouth and having my knuckles drag the ground.

#missingtheforestforthetrees

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA

CA, would you mind making the correction please? For the record I simply was in a hurry and made a mistake and didn't proof read. But I'm sure that statement will be thoroughly refuted with a complete dissertation as to how that could not have been the case and that I simply have no concept of grammar and walk around licking windows, wiping drool from the side of my mouth and having my knuckles drag the ground.

#missingforestforthetrees
I've already changed it to "whose." You can edit your own post to change "who's" to "whose."

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000

#missingtheforestforthetrees
I know you're a smart guy, Buzz, and I've done it before.

It's just I guess I've got a little bit of that hyper-sensitivity with all the jokes about Alabamians being stupid. But hey, it's fixed. RTR

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
I figured as easy as it is for anyone to sue that this one would fall into that category. Do you think if more clinics start doing this the government will get involved?
On the suit, kids without vacs don't fall into any of the protected classes under the '64 Act, as amended, so they can be discriminated against. Not my area of law, but I don't know if Medicare could make them do it in order retain reimbursements. Anyway, I would think the government would put its thumb on the scales on the side of trying to force vaccinations. (The same thing the docs are trying to do)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
On the suit, kids without vacs don't fall into any of the protected classes under the '64 Act, as amended, so they can be discriminated against. Not my area of law, but I don't know if Medicare could make them do it in order retain reimbursements. Anyway, I would think the government would put its thumb on the scales on the side of trying to force vaccinations. (The same thing the docs are trying to do)
We've got several couples that go to our church who do not believe in vaccinations. It is a very awkward situation right now because we've got a nursery with babies who've yet to have all their shots. There are parents complaining to the church that their babies are at risk because these kids (the ones without vaccinations) are in close proximity to the nursery every Sunday and Wednesday night.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
We've got several couples that go to our church who do not believe in vaccinations. It is a very awkward situation right now because we've got a nursery with babies who've yet to have all their shots. There are parents complaining to the church that their babies are at risk because these kids (the ones without vaccinations) are in close proximity to the nursery every Sunday and Wednesday night.
It's a thorny problem and I agree with BnB; I would favor strong government action. Traditionally, the government has had draconian power, where the public health is concerned. Witness the forced quarantine (life sentence) of Typhoid Mary. I think it is such a hot button issue that pols don't want to take it up. There's nothing harder to stamp out than superstition, and this is one of them - fearing a substance no longer in vaccines and autism - which has repeatedly been scientifically disproven. Hell, more people believe in ghosts than believe in God...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Everybody knows I can be pretty anti-government, but the vaccination thing is one area where I wouldn't mind some iron-fisted action. Kids shouldn't die from measles in 2014.
No one should force a parent to inject their kids with a "potentially" dangerous substance or force them to take medications or treatments against their beliefs either. (I vaccinated my children, but I respect parent's rights and individual's rights who choose not to.)

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
It's a thorny problem and I agree with BnB; I would favor strong government action. Traditionally, the government has had draconian power, where the public health is concerned. Witness the forced quarantine (life sentence) of Typhoid Mary. I think it is such a hot button issue that pols don't want to take it up. There's nothing harder to stamp out than superstition, and this is one of them - fearing a substance no longer in vaccines and autism - which has repeatedly been scientifically disproven. Hell, more people believe in ghosts than believe in God...
Yeah, I'm not big on government mandates but when it comes to something like this I believe I'll gladly make an exception. Unfortunately we (society) are seeing an ever growing number of parents who are buying into this myth and putting others at great risk.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Look, I'm as small government as anybody. But as Buzzard has been saying, this is one area where I actually favor a government mandate. What if we have to pay the government care for life for 35,000 kids born and harmed by (say) German measles or something?

I'm religious as you know, but I don't think that precludes action, either. The principle of "faith and works" can be seen here - I have faith God will protect from me from sickness but I also do the work of getting vaccinated. It's not just here. If I'm a Christian airline pilot and there's a storm up there - even if I've prayed heavy before I took off, I don't do something stupid simply because "God will protect me."

What's funny is these same folks do this every day and don't realize it. After all - they sit down and eat don't they? But if God has promised to meet their needs, why would they need to bother with such stuff? And we can all tell (and heck, I'm guilty as well sometimes) how many of our Christian brothers and sisters have not missed a meal if you know what I mean.

chanson78

All-American
Nov 1, 2005
Huntsville, AL
No one should force a parent to inject their kids with a "potentially" dangerous substance or force them to take medications or treatments against their beliefs either. (I vaccinated my children, but I respect parent's rights and individual's rights who choose not to.)
Those very same parents shouldn't force the presence of their children upon others causing risk and harm to society as a whole. What makes me angry is that technically children whose parents choose to use an exemption are not required to notify nor is the school able to notify the parents of other children that there is a potential ticking time bomb running around the schoolyard.

From the Alabama Department of Public Health

With regards to what vaccines are required and what is needed to be exempt from the state of Alabama's policy.
ADPH said:
A written objection from the parent or guardian of a student or child based on religious tenets and practices shall be submitted in person by the parent or guardian to the County Health Department for issuance of a Certificate of Religious Exemption from the required immunizations or testing. A licensed physician can provide individual exemption from he required immunizations or testing on a Certificate of Medical Exemption. The Certificate of Religious Exemption and the Certificate of Medical Exemption will be on forms approved by the Alabama Department of Public Health and will be accepted in lieu of the Certificate of Immunization.
Why is it ok for someone else to potentially endanger your child because of their beliefs?

Edit: Wow I thought I was throwing this out there pretty quick, only to be 3 posts too late to the cranky party.

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Those very same parents shouldn't force the presence of their children upon others causing risk and harm to society as a whole. What makes me angry is that technically children whose parents choose to use an exemption are not required to notify nor is the school able to notify the parents of other children that there is a potential ticking time bomb running around the schoolyard.

From the Alabama Department of Public Health

With regards to what vaccines are required and what is needed to be exempt from the state of Alabama's policy.

Why is it ok for someone else to potentially endanger your child because of their beliefs?
I wrote a paper on this in med school. The basic law that was argued in 1944 said that a parent has a perfect right to make himself a martyr for his religion but not his child. And then there's the duty to society you're talking about.

Recently at my hospital we had a case where a Jehovah's Witness needed a blood transfusion. More precisely - the parent was a JW but the kid was not. The kid said she didn't care what the parent said, do what was necessary, which introduced all kinds of "power of attorney" and other things. I think the kid was 17.

Of course, had she been pregnant - she'd have been emancipated (in some states) and able to decide for herself.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.