Does your pediatrician not treat kids whose parents refuse vaccinations?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
No one should force a parent to inject their kids with a "potentially" dangerous substance or force them to take medications or treatments against their beliefs either. (I vaccinated my children, but I respect parent's rights and individual's rights who choose not to.)
I get what you're saying I really do, and in most cases I'd be right there beside you fist pumpin'. But where I think this is a bit different is that the risk of another child's life being impacted due to another child's parents choosing not to vaccinate.

Just as the parents have the right to not be forced to vaccinate shouldn't the children of parents who do not believe the same way have the right to not have their child put at risk? It's not an easy cut and dry topic.

dayhiker

FB|BB Moderator
Staff member
Dec 8, 2000
Pell City, AL
Re: Does your pediatrician not treat kids who's parents refuse vaccinations?

I know you're a smart guy, Buzz, and I've done it before.

It's just I guess I've got a little bit of that hyper-sensitivity with all the jokes about Alabamians being stupid. But hey, it's fixed. RTR
He's a dumb cajun, so don't worry :)

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Heh, when has that ever stopped one.
Stops them all the time. If a suit is judged "frivolous," and this one would be, then it's dismissed and all costs are taxed back to the plaintiff. Note that the banana lady - banana lady - was not only taxed $55K for frivolous lawsuits, she was forbidden to file any more until she paid up...

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Rather than clutter this up with all the quotes, I will just respond here with a question; one that I do not know the answer to but one to which many of you have alluded. You have said that an unvaccinated child puts all the vaccinated children at risk. I have to therefore ask, if the vaccinated children are protected from a disease to which the unvaccinated are potentially vulnerable to, how are they in any danger?

Bamafan78

1st Team
Nov 20, 2006
Chattanooga, TN.
I believe in God, and have experienced miracles. I know many people in the Medical fields, and EMS who have had similar experiences. I thank God for all of these trained professionals! ;)

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Stops them all the time. If a suit is judged "frivolous," and this one would be, then it's dismissed and all costs are taxed back to the plaintiff. Note that the banana lady - banana lady - was not only taxed $55K for frivolous lawsuits, she was forbidden to file any more until she paid up...
That is good to hear. When I read on the news some of the crazy ones that go through it jades my perspective.

NationalTitles18

TideFans Legend
May 25, 2003
Mountainous Northern California
I wrote a paper on this in med school. The basic law that was argued in 1944 said that a parent has a perfect right to make himself a martyr for his religion but not his child. And then there's the duty to society you're talking about.

Recently at my hospital we had a case where a Jehovah's Witness needed a blood transfusion. More precisely - the parent was a JW but the kid was not. The kid said she didn't care what the parent said, do what was necessary, which introduced all kinds of "power of attorney" and other things. I think the kid was 17.

Of course, had she been pregnant - she'd have been emancipated (in some states) and able to decide for herself.
In Alabama you have the right to make your own medical decisions at age 14.

CrimsonNagus

Hall of Fame
Jun 6, 2007
Montgomery, Alabama, United States
Rather than clutter this up with all the quotes, I will just respond here with a question; one that I do not know the answer to but one to which many of you have alluded. You have said that an unvaccinated child puts all the vaccinated children at risk. I have to therefore ask, if the vaccinated children are protected from a disease to which the unvaccinated are potentially vulnerable to, how are they in any danger?
I was thinking the same thing. If the vaccinated child can still catch the diseases from the un-vaccinated child then wouldn't that mean that the vaccines themselves are pointless?

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I was thinking the same thing. If the vaccinated child can still catch the diseases from the un-vaccinated child then wouldn't that mean that the vaccines themselves are pointless?
From my understanding the main concern is for the babies who haven't reached the appropriate age to get their shots. Not all vaccination shots are given at the same time. So for instance if a baby in a church nursery hasn't reached the age to be given vaccinations that come in contact with older kids whose parents do not get them vaccinated. Then you've got a baby/child at risk. The herd immunity theory comes into play at that point.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL

From my understanding the main concern is for the babies who haven't reached the appropriate age to get their shots. Not all vaccination shots are given at the same time. So for instance if a baby in a church nursery hasn't reached the age to be given vaccinations that come in contact with older kids whose parents do not get them vaccinated. Then you've got a baby/child at risk. The herd immunity theory comes into play at that point.

jthomas666

Hall of Fame
Aug 14, 2002
Birmingham & Warner Robins
The concept you're looking for is Herd Immunity.

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
First of all, no vaccine is a hundred percent effective. More like 90 or so. Another problem you have is that by allowing the disease to incubate in a human population, you risk mutations that render old vaccinations even less effective. And then finally, there are people who cannot have vaccinations because of allergies. Mass vaccination provides protection to them through group immunity.

And what Bamabuzzard said.
And more - many older adults have either lost their immunity or somehow dodged a childhood disease. If an adult has shingles, then they've lost their immunity to chicken pox, which can be dangerous in an adult. Mumps were sort of hit or miss when I was a kid, unlike chicken pox and measles. I've never had mumps and the vaccine didn't exist. Both diseases can be dangerous for adults. I used to not worry about it, because vaccination was just about universal. It's now a real worry. BTW, you still can't contract chicken pox from a person with shingles...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.