Link: Tennessee a Toxic Program

formersoldier71

All-American
May 9, 2004
Jasper, AL
It is time to test the Tennessee River water that flows past Knoxville.
Test it for toxic levels of dysfunction.
There is something in the water, or the soil – or, most likely, the people – at the University of Tennessee that has turned the athletic department into a transient, turmoil-ridden place. Basketball coach Cuonzo Martin’s departure Tuesday for California is just the latest huh? moment for a school that has been buffeted by them in recent years.
Martin’s successor will be the third Tennessee hoops coach since 2011. Butch Jones is the fourth football coach since 2008. Dave Hart is the second athletic director in the last three years.
Absolutely nothing is rock solid on Rocky Top these days. It is high time for a reality check.
This is a school leaking prestige and reeking of unrealistic entitlement.
A delusional fan base believed it was going to land Jon Gruden as its football coach in 2012. Instead it wound up being snubbed by Louisville coach Charlie Strong. Tennessee ended up with a good hire in Butch Jones, but you would have thought the school was settling for the guy at Lenoir-Rhyne by the reaction.
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cuonzo...s-immense-level-of-dysfunction-203053186.html
They deserve every bit of it, and more.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
They are dealing with the fallout of what they pulled on us and you know what? Let 'em!!!

I lost 15 football seasons (1/4 of my life if I live to be 60) because of those clowns. Let them see what it feels like, and I'll just continue to laugh. I wouldn't urinate on UT if they were on fire - I'd pour gasoline on them.

tidefan23

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2004
Hoover, AL
Do you really think Martin is that good? He had a good run in the tourney this year but that's about it for his UT career. I would have let him go too rather than given him a raise ala Auburn and Gene Chizik.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
They are reaping what they have sown.

I hope all their fans, that had such a wonderful time laughing at us from 1997 - 2006, really enjoyed it. I mean I hope they really got everything they could out of those years.

They're such a distant memory now, aren't they?

bamadp

All-SEC
Sep 24, 2006
Sheffield, Al.
You know what they say about paybacks. It couldn't happen to more deserving fans. Maybe they'll wander through the wilderness for a few more years...and they brought it all on themselves without anybodies help. :BigA:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
They are dealing with the fallout of what they pulled on us and you know what? Let 'em!!!

I lost 15 football seasons (1/4 of my life if I live to be 60) because of those clowns. Let them see what it feels like, and I'll just continue to laugh. I wouldn't urinate on UT if they were on fire - I'd pour gasoline on them.
Somedays I have a hard time deciding if I hate them more than the barn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alabama22

1st Team
Aug 3, 2010
Alabama
After what Fulmer and that bunch did to our program, I am enjoying everything that happens to their athletic program. You reap what you sow, and there isn't a more deserving bunch in the entire world...except for maybe the barners.

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Do you really think Martin is that good? He had a good run in the tourney this year but that's about it for his UT career. I would have let him go too rather than given him a raise ala Auburn and Gene Chizik.
His teams were getting better every year, which is a sign of being a good coach imo.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
For whatever reasons the UT fanbase has just convinced themselves that they ought to be an absolute power in basketball, right up alongside Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, UNC, UConn, and others, and it's just absolutely delusional. We are talking about a basketball program here that, in its 100+ year history, has zero national titles, zero Final Four trips, and only one Elite Eight appearance. Their NBA presence, too, is basically non-existent, because they've only put about five guys in the Association in the past roughly twenty years. I don't necessarily defend Cuonzo, mind you, but why in the world would anyone expect a program with that history, that's stuck in a football conference, to be a consistent national power? It's just absurd.

I don't know that this nonsense really has anything to do with their football program -- and I tend to think it doesn't, because although the Fulmer-revisionists love to project delusions of grandeur in their fictional alternate history, the truth of the matter was that Fulmer was washed up and his time had clearly passed (even if they did botch up his successor hires) -- but they have just lost their minds with respect to the status of their basketball program. This is the equivalent of a Texas Tech or a South Carolina firing a head coach because they aren't regularly making a BCS game.

Last edited:

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I hoped they would have the football program shut for what they tried to do to Bama Football, but, it's even more satisfying watching them waller in mediocrity & their fans stay in a state of despair over their football team..

Lost in TN

1st Team
Sep 20, 2009
Collierville, TN
The basketball job should be very appealing. Knoxville is a nice city with a good size population. They also have a nice arena. I do not think that losing Martin is a very big deal. There are other coaches out there that I would rate much higher. He did have a good run in the Tourney, however I would not rate him in the top half of the SEC Coaching Fraternity. So I guess my whole reaction to this is "whatever". This will be a non issue in a few months. Those of you celebrating in the Knoxville misery, be very careful. We were in that boat not too long ago. And yes I have a daughter at UT Knox and a daughter at Bama, so I have to be fair minded.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
The best thing is that Roy Adams is alive to watch it all and see what he did. Pat yourself on the back, jack ash. YOU did it, and I hope you're enjoying every minute of it.

I know I am.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
The best thing is that Roy Adams is alive to watch it all and see what he did. Pat yourself on the back, jack ash. YOU did it, and I hope you're enjoying every minute of it.

I know I am.
I'm scared to think what that man enjoys in his life..Cause I've heard things that will make those little hairs on our big toes curl up from fright when it comes to Roy Adams..

day-day

Hall of Fame
Jan 2, 2005
Bartlett, TN (Memphis area)

I've thought all along that Martin underacheived with the talent UT had. Also, I don't know how well his recruiting went but I don't think the main players the last couple of years were not his recruits. Stokes kind of fell in their laps when he decided to enter college in the spring of his senior high school year and Memphis did not have an opening.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.