Auburn 2013 National Champions

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I have no problem with their 2004 claim. They were undefeated and never got to play for it on the field. They lost this game on the field. It doesn't matter who played, they lost, and it was not their only loss on the season.
The biggest difference is from 1998ish on the gold standard for recognizing National Championships was the BCS. While the AP still awards NCs, the only one that mattered through last year was the BCS.

The debates of the past will always be and we rarely got a true #1 vs. #2 like college football got with Bama and Penn State in 1979 or Bama and Miami in 1992 in the traditional bowl system.

But since 1998 at least there was an effort to pit #1 vs. #2 annually. Now, going forward, it'll be the college football playoff system.

FWIW, our only NC that Bama claims that is seriously questionable is 1941, but that is a different debate in a different era.

AgentAntiOrange

1st Team
Dec 30, 2009
Norman, OK
The BCS does not award retroactive victories. It, and the NCAA, only vacates wins. This is really the end of the conversation for all years concerned. Auburn, OU, whoever U can claim whatever they like. I can claim to be the President of the United States. They still ain't letting me on the White House lawn.

Johnnyb

1st Team
Jan 4, 2011
Huntsville, AL
A far less baseless argument would be that Winston should have the Heisman removed from him for not upholding the integrity of the award. I honestly doubt AJ would even want the award, but at very least it should be stripped from Winston. Here's the Heisman Trust Mission Statement pulled from their site:

The Heisman Memorial Trophy annually recognizes the outstanding college football player whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity. Winners epitomize great ability combined with diligence, perseverance, and hard work. The Heisman Trophy Trust ensures the continuation and integrity of this award. The Trust, furthermore, has a charitable mission to support amateur athletics and to provide greater opportunities to the youth of our country. Our goal through these charitable endeavors is for the Heisman Trophy to symbolize the fostering of a sense of community responsibility and service to our youth, especially those disadvantaged or afflicted. All assets of the Trust beyond the expense of maintaining the annual presentation of the Heisman Memorial Trophy are reserved for such charitable causes. The Trustees, who all serve pro bono, are guided by a devotion to college football and are committed to community service and the valued tradition which the Trophy represents.

stlimprov

1st Team
Nov 9, 2005
Saint Louis, MO
Had FSU been declared ineligible, they'd have had to play Alabama again. I'll take at least 50/50 odds that Alabama would have won that game. So...do we not have just as legitimate a claim to the championship?

;)

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
A far less baseless argument would be that Winston should have the Heisman removed from him for not upholding the integrity of the award. I honestly doubt AJ would even want the award, but at very least it should be stripped from Winston. Here's the Heisman Trust Mission Statement pulled from their site:
The Heisman doesn't have or represent integrity anymore, 2010 did it for me.

bamamc1

Hall of Fame
Oct 24, 2011
Haleyville, AL
How can you claim something you didn't win let alone play for?? The barn started lower in the polls the USC and OU and they also lost to USC in 2002 and 2003. They have nobody to blame but themselves for what happened in
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2004They lost that title when we almost beat them in T-town with a well below average team. Heck, if we could have done anything offensively in the first half we win.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
2004They lost that title when we almost beat them in T-town with a well below average team. Heck, if we could have done anything offensively in the first half we win.
It Croyle and Hudson had been healthy and playing in that game the barn probably would have lost. Bad QB played killed us.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
With the N.Y. Times story about Jameis Winston, I have seen several auburn fans claiming the 2013 National Championship. Anyone else experience this?
Tell your friends that using that kind of logic, Oregon should get to claim the 2010 championship due to the sCam Newton eligibility issue.

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
Since I'm consistent, I'm going to have to shred this post.

How can you claim something you didn't win let alone play for??
A fair point, but your supporting argumentation is so Barner like it scares me.

The barn started lower in the polls the USC and OU
Irrelevant. So the Barn is to blame for pre-season polls they have no control whatsoever over? They have to hope somebody else loses and if they don't - even if they run the table - "ah, too bad, try again!" Tide fans would scream hysterical if that happened to us.

and they also lost to USC in 2002 and 2003.
Which is also irrelevant. Over half the players weren't even the same. Carsen Palmer was the USC quarterback in 2002. This is like saying because Alabama lost to Tennessee in 2003 and 2004, they shouldn't even play in 2005.

Or better yet......since Alabama lost to LSU in 2010 AND in 2011, why did we get a second shot?

They have nobody to blame but themselves for what happened in 2004.
I'm no Barner apologist as my record here over the last 15 years shows. But how is it their fault? They didn't project the pre-season polls. They won every game and played in the SEC. They drilled two-loss UGA and twice beat the Vols, who only lost three games. And they beat LSU, the defending champions (which kinda throws the whole 2003 USC loss right out the window)

Why does Auburn's loss to USC in 2003 count so much but Oklahoma's double belly flop in the K-State and LSU games doesn't hurt them in the polls?

Look, I'm no Barner, but let's not use the same bad arguments they use.

RollinTider1335

All-SEC
Jun 12, 2010
Spring Hill, TN
Haha! The barn ended the SEC's streak. I was hoping it would be them!

They won't be sneaking up on anyone next year. The Gus bus will stop just like last time under cheezit.

Run another trick play!!

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Since I'm consistent, I'm going to have to shred this post.

A fair point, but your supporting argumentation is so Barner like it scares me.

Irrelevant. So the Barn is to blame for pre-season polls they have no control whatsoever over? They have to hope somebody else loses and if they don't - even if they run the table - "ah, too bad, try again!" Tide fans would scream hysterical if that happened to us.

Which is also irrelevant. Over half the players weren't even the same. Carsen Palmer was the USC quarterback in 2002. This is like saying because Alabama lost to Tennessee in 2003 and 2004, they shouldn't even play in 2005.

Or better yet......since Alabama lost to LSU in 2010 AND in 2011, why did we get a second shot?

I'm no Barner apologist as my record here over the last 15 years shows. But how is it their fault? They didn't project the pre-season polls. They won every game and played in the SEC. They drilled two-loss UGA and twice beat the Vols, who only lost three games. And they beat LSU, the defending champions (which kinda throws the whole 2003 USC loss right out the window)

Why does Auburn's loss to USC in 2003 count so much but Oklahoma's double belly flop in the K-State and LSU games doesn't hurt them in the polls?

Look, I'm no Barner, but let's not use the same bad arguments they use.
As far as the preseason polls go if USC and OU start off as #1 & #2 respectively and not lose during the regular season (which obviously they didn't) then nobody is going to jump them. Plain and simple. Also if that did happen to Alabama (thankfully it didn't in the BCS era) we wouldn't be happy either. Then again if we were #1 or #2 and some other team jumped us and we had not lost we be pretty mad also.

Yes 2002 (along with 2010) I'll give you that but 2003 USC had just about every starter back in 2004 and AU did lose that game 23-0. You can't compare that 2011 to 2003, Alabama out gained LSU in total yards and first downs but missed 4 FG's. You're not going to beat many teams of equal talent that way. USC completely dominated AU in every aspect of that game.

Yes AU did beat LSU in 2004 because of a bad penalty (and they would lose to AU in JHS in 2006 on bad no call PI as well) on the EP kick. I've never seen anybody throw a flag for that since then.

I never thought OU (just like NEB in 2001 against Miami) should have played LSU after losing to K-State. It should have been USC.

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
Actually what I think should have happened was Winston should have been in jail, then Coker would have probably been better than Winston by the end of the season. I don't know about the rest of you but against Auburn I think Winston looked rather average. It's possible Auburn would have lost worse had Coker been the QB. It's completely lame for the Aubs to try to do an "if then" on a spreadsheet every season to explain why they should be national champions every year. You can't re-write history any more than you can predict who will win the 2014 national championship today.

BamaDynasty

Scout Team
May 9, 2003
Smyrna,GA,USA
In their media guide they claim the 1983 NY Times Computer Natty Championship.

Granted, that was a great team they had- but the Natl. Champ was The U and Coach Howard Schnellenberger.

They are ridiculous and hypocrites to boot.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.