NCAA approves new roughing the passer penalty for hits below knees

bamachile

Hall of Fame
Jul 27, 2007
Oakdale, Louisiana
There are exceptions to the rule though. A quarterback who takes off to run, no matter where located on the field, is no longer considered in a passing situation so he would be vulnerable. If a defender is already engaging in wrapping up the quarterback for a tackle, the passing situation is considered over. Any defender blocked into a passer is also in the clear as far as a penalty is concerned, but this means officials will have to keep a close eye on the entire play to determine if a player hitting below the knee was pushed into the passer or if the dive or lunge was initiated by the defender.
Sounds like a nightmare to enforce evenly.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I actually don't think it will be as tough to enforce as some are suggesting.

It's basically to protect a qb who is in the pocket. If you are running, you are not within the protection of this rule.

It actually will be to the advantage of a team like Bama who traditionally has a drop back passing qb.

Prediction: Barners will blame this on CNS and his "style" of offense and say it targets teams like them who have running qbs.

rolltideallday

1st Team
Dec 18, 2011
Tuscaloosa, AL
With the amount of calls that are missed due to the way offenses are run and the number of rules I almost fell like there should be a ref added. Obviously I have put no thought into where they would stand or anything but there is so much they have to look for now that missed calls are almost guaranteed. (I don't mean the little holds on every play)

Also, has this kind of tackle been a big issue in college? I know Fairly knocked Arkansas' QB out a couple years ago this way but I haven't heard of many QBs getting hurt from tackles like this. Now, it might be an attempt to prevent this since the NFL has a similar rule.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
I truly believe we will one day see a day that the QB is deemed down by two hand touch.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I truly believe we will one day see a day that the QB is deemed down by two hand touch.
I'm usually the first to say I don't like these rules that limits contact to a particular part of the body. I've been very vocal in stating my opposition to the targeting rule.

But this is a good rule IMO to protect a guy who is basically not trying to evade a tackler when he's in the pocket.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
DL and LBs are going to have to work harder at keeping their feet and getting cut (Not that it shouldn't always be emphasized.) Once they are low or down having to get back up to make a tackle is going to be difficult. I can see offensive linemen using this rule to try to force them to go low.

CB4

Hall of Fame
Aug 8, 2011
Birmingham, AL
I say just customize all the QB's jerseys with small target about the size of saucer (located above the naval and below the sternum). You can hit them "there", just no where else. Good gosh......

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
This same rule is in the NFL after Tom Brady tore his ACL from a similar hit. There shouldn't be any problem with it like we saw with the targeting call.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
I think there was more than one questionable collision between Fairley and Murray that afternoon.
Yes and almost all of them were late hits as well. If you'll remember when they played Alabama he made a tackle on 3rd down which would have forced a punt but he did a simple "fist pump" and was called for unsportsmanlike conduct which gave Alabama a first down. I don't think they threw any flags during the Georgia game but they were onto him against Alabama.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.
I'm all for protecting a QB, but the game is Football, and there will be contact.
(It's part of the game) (Old School Football)

We have seen over reaction to some hits, and then rules are made...
Think Aaron Murray forgetting that he was a fair target when the 'Terror in his eyes Photo'
was snapped, (Clean Shot) right before he learned about contact.
I love that photo.

Now days we have people wanting to eliminate kick offs, because guys run into each other.
The QB is almost a 'Sacred Cow'. Pretty protected.

It's Old School, but I'm for leaving a little PHYSICAL in Football,
otherwise we will loose our sport.

Last edited:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.