Future Opponents

GP for Bama

All-American
Feb 3, 2011
I know Bama cancelled the future home and home series with Michigan State. I was looking forward to those games. It was implied that future SEC schedules with 9 games had a lot to do with cancelling the series. Yet , now I am noticing that several SEC schools are scheduling future home and home series. (LSU-Syracuse, Georgia-Notre Dame, among others). Does anyone know the real reason for canceling the Michigan State series, and who some of our future opponents might be? Personally, I prefer home and home over neutral site games. But hey, why not have both?!

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think CNS likes the neutral site game for two reasons:

1. Recruiting -- Atlanta and Dallas are hotbeds for many recruits we go after
2. Exposure -- When we play these games as season openers it's like a pre-season bowl game!

A home and home series hardly touches either of those reasons.

RT3413

All-American
Sep 14, 2004
Atlanta, GA
Plus there are significant financial benefits of playing the neutral-site games. I think our payout for Dallas in 2012 was about $5M. Assume 101K seats at home, less 25K for students, band, recruits leaves you 76K. If we sold those at our current "premium" price you'd have about $5M... but then you'd lose that the next year. You might get an extra mill or 2 from TV but that would get split back with the league since you play it in an SEC Stadium. So you probably are +$2-3M going to a neutral game.

Personally, I love the Home-And-Home... both seeing historic teams come to BDS and getting the opportunity to travel. I loved my trip to Penn State and was looking forward to going to Lansing. That being said, Dallas was amazing and I'm looking forward to Wisconsin next year.

At the end of the day as long as we get 1 non-conference "name" game on the schedule annually I'm happy.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.