Simple Question That's Not So Simple--Who Picks The Starters At UA?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
This may seem over simplified but I often wonder---are our starters decided by the position coaches, the coordinators, or, ultimately, by Coach Saban? I would imagine it's the coordinators making the decisions based on their opinion combined with the input of the position coaches, but I'm not sure. I don't think Coach Saban would intervene in any areas except, possibly, the DB's and QB.
Maybe there's some high school coaches out there who are members and can offer some input as to "this process".
I have no idea, but I'd sure be interested in knowing how it all works at UA, and I'm sure others would as well.
sip

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I would think that its part of the process. This is new for kiffin and saban.... They provide their inputs and saban will take that into consideration and my gut feeling saban has final say

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I would think that its part of the process. This is new for kiffin and saban.... They provide their inputs and saban will take that into consideration and my gut feeling saban has final say

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
I'm thinking it's more like a committee, with the ultimate decision given to the coordinators, and thus, the responsibility that lies within that responsibility, if that makes sense.

Just Win

All-SEC
Dec 22, 2003
Alabaster, AL, USA
On a team with as much quality depth as Alabama has, being a "starter" is over-rated. We shuffle so many players in and out due to many reasons - strategy/freshness/injury/field position - as long as you're playing you're as relevant as the next guy.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
This is the way it has been done with the schools I have been involved with.
Yeah and that's probably how they do it in the NFL also with the exception of the Cowboys. Jerry Jones makes those decisions. Jason Garrett is just a puppet. ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Coach Saban, but with a lot of help from his staff.
T-Mac, I'd agree--but if Coach Saban makes the final decision, and goes against the recommendation of a coordinator, then how can he hold that coordinator accountable?? That's why I'm trying to figure this whole thing out.
Like I said, "A simple, but not so simple question"..see where I'm coming from? sip

Matt0424

All-American
Jan 16, 2010
Hoover, Al
Coach Saban leads the assistants in the direction he wants them to go, just like the players.
Then there would be no point in paying to keep a guy around (like CKS) and you could plug almost anyone in and get the job done.

There is a reason we saw so many shake ups in the position coaches this year on defense, and it was because the defense didn't live up to the standard set by CNS. CKS didn't get fired or pushed out the door, because it isn't his responsibility (on a superficial level0 to have guys playing their assignments correctly. I mean it is, but it isn't...just follow me.

(The following is just from my knowledge of other programs whether hs/college/pro and what I have gathered from how our staff does things...it is my closest summation as to how it works.)

Position coaches work with guys in a small group basis. They know which guys are going to be most adept at performing their jobs on the field. So they make the recommendations to the coordinators based on what they know (concerning scheme/gameplan/etc..).

The DC/OC is in charge of implementing the gameplan for each game, or overall scheme of the unit (offense/defense). So after the coordinator puts in the gameplan, he'll be able to work with the position coach and see who ultimately works best for whatever is trying to be accomplished.

The HC (unless it is like Saban with the DB's) works with the DC/OC to formulate the gameplan for each game (or overall scheme/philosophy), and a way to implement it. He has to manage all of the Coaches the way a position coach would his players. If he can't trust his Coordinators to make the right decisions, then the team won't be successful. If the OC/DC can't trust the position coaches to have people prepared, certain units won't be successful.

Now, that being said...I am sure most HC will over ride someone if they feel they have to, but usually that does not breed success.

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
Then there would be no point in paying to keep a guy around (like CKS) and you could plug almost anyone in and get the job done.

There is a reason we saw so many shake ups in the position coaches this year on defense, and it was because the defense didn't live up to the standard set by CNS. CKS didn't get fired or pushed out the door, because it isn't his responsibility (on a superficial level0 to have guys playing their assignments correctly. I mean it is, but it isn't...just follow me.

(The following is just from my knowledge of other programs whether hs/college/pro and what I have gathered from how our staff does things...it is my closest summation as to how it works.)

Position coaches work with guys in a small group basis. They know which guys are going to be most adept at performing their jobs on the field. So they make the recommendations to the coordinators based on what they know (concerning scheme/gameplan/etc..).

The DC/OC is in charge of implementing the gameplan for each game, or overall scheme of the unit (offense/defense). So after the coordinator puts in the gameplan, he'll be able to work with the position coach and see who ultimately works best for whatever is trying to be accomplished.

The HC (unless it is like Saban with the DB's) works with the DC/OC to formulate the gameplan for each game (or overall scheme/philosophy), and a way to implement it. He has to manage all of the Coaches the way a position coach would his players. If he can't trust his Coordinators to make the right decisions, then the team won't be successful. If the OC/DC can't trust the position coaches to have people prepared, certain units won't be successful.

Now, that being said...I am sure most HC will over ride someone if they feel they have to, but usually that does not breed success.
Can I call you "Coach Matt"? :) Thanks so much for the input! sip

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.