UAB cancels spring game

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/04/uabs_bill_clark_nobody_is_more.html

More genius from the "We want to be as good as Alabama someday but first we need to catch up with Troy" crowd.

Scheduling it on a Friday night was idiotic to begin with. I know they wanted to avoid conflict with both A-Days tomorrow, but I'd have held it last week. Then they have it on their soccer field, a place the average fan may not even be able to find. But the field doesn't hold water very well, so they had to cancel. It wasn't even going to be a real game, since they didn't have enough players to make two full teams.

Way to build up good PR with the new coach. Someone please pull the plug on that monstrosity. Gene Bartow's ego of wanting to challenge the big boys is destroying his basketball program.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
If any good will come of the changes that are happening around the NCAA football programs, it would be the death of programs like this.

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I know that their athletic program loses money, and it's hard to imagine that their football program actually makes money, considering their attendance figures. If they do make money, it's merely via leeching off of other programs.

Yet, we have all these rules meant to level the playing field (which Emmert alluded to when he was talking about getting rid of the food limits), and who benefits? The fans? The players? No, the programs like UAB are the only ones that benefit from the severe limits on all kinds of things.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Wow I've been a member of this board for 8 years and I think this is the first time I've ever seen a UAB thread. This kinda feels like breaking the fourth wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crimson1967

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2011
Wow I've been a member of this board for 8 years and I think this is the first time I've ever seen a UAB thread. This kinda feels like breaking the fourth wall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just ran across the story and thought it was funny. But I think cancelling the game is like the tree falling in the forrest with nobody around.

TitleWave

All-American
Dec 3, 2012
Scheduling it on a Friday night was idiotic to begin with... Then they have it on their soccer field, a place the average fan may not even be able to find. But the field doesn't hold water very well, so they had to cancel. It wasn't even going to be a real game, since they didn't have enough players to make two full teams.
Perfectly blown opportunity for a spring water polo game...better yet if played where Village Creek overflows its banks.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
Canceling the game was a PR mistake, or rather announcing it was. They could have just quietly let the time go by and not showed up. No one would have noticed.

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.