A-Day Game Good, Bad, and Ugly

Methylred

BamaNation Citizen
Nov 29, 2006
Good - The weather
Bad - The OL makes me think that bucket-step Bob is back on our coaching staff.
Ugly - A wasted scholly... I leave it to you to decide who I'm referring to.

Crimson_Knight

Scout Team
Jun 8, 2006
I see some classic Bama ball coming our way. The D will be asked to do alot this season. But we wouldn't have it any other way would we.

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
I agree pretty much agree with everything you posted Mike..Only thing I'd add is I thought the O-Line played descent enough & it was the inconsistent play of Blake at the QB spot, that caused the O-Line play, that made them look worse than they actually were..Had Blake actually hit a couple play action passes, it would've open up the running game, and it would have made the offense click better as a unit..Plus..We only saw like 5% of the playbook & the D pretty much knew what play was coming & that was a big negative for the offense..Our D is going to be as good as it's ever been at Bama & could rival the best of the best D's we've ever had in T-Town..I'm soooo excited about this coming season & it's going to take what feels like 2yrs for the West Virginia game to kick off Brother..LOL
Good- Robert Foster at WR. Flashes of the new offense.
Bad- inconsistent OL but it's still VERY early.
Ugly- kicking game, see second part of bad.

buzzman

3rd Team
Jan 18, 2014
Madison, AL
Good - The heat Bateman can put on a pass. I had never watched him play before.
Bad - Lots of drops by receivers
Ugly - I agree with everyone else...it was the kicking

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012
The Good - Talk about a recruiting haul. :eek:

The Bad - I spent most of the game watching your line play, and I was really impressed with the players that both of your teams had from center through right tackle. I did not see anything on the left side that even looked okay. Even Robinson was beat badly play after play.

The Ugly - Place Kicking - Simply put, you need to get this fixed or it will cost you a game this season.

I am not worried about QB play because of the horrible play on the left side of the O-Line and the fact that Sims could not scramble in the game (a real strength that will be heavily leveraged if he is your starting QB). My only concern at QB was that, even when he had time to throw, Sims did not seem to know where he was supposed to be looking for open receivers based on coverages. Either some bad routes being run or Sims was not reading your defense correctly.

I also saw more dropped passes in this game (by both receivers and defensive backs) than I have ever seen in a single game before. Need some hands drills.

As for the play of your D-Line - OMG. :eek2:

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama
It's important to note that our first test won't be until we head to Oxford in game #5. We will have plenty of time to iron out the kinks. Cam Robinson and the line will probably improve a lot in the first month.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
It's important to note that our first test won't be until we head to Oxford in game #5. We will have plenty of time to iron out the kinks. Cam Robinson and the line will probably improve a lot in the first month.
I'd venture to say if our Oline doesn't improve ten fold from what I saw yesterday every game is going to be a "test". Starting with our very first one against West Virginia.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009
Does Bama have a "kicking" coach? Someone who does nothing but work with kickers? If not, they need to get one soon. If they have one, they might need a new one.
Games are won and lost on FG's (and kickoffs, and I have never agreed with the "high and short" philosophy - too much risk for me if you have a kicker who can kick it out of the end zone); kickers Bama has brought in all have skills. They are just failing way too much IMO.

Last edited:

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al
The Good - Talk about a recruiting haul. :eek:

The Bad - I spent most of the game watching your line play, and I was really impressed with the players that both of your teams had from center through right tackle. I did not see anything on the left side that even looked okay. Even Robinson was beat badly play after play.

The Ugly - Place Kicking - Simply put, you need to get this fixed or it will cost you a game this season.

I am not worried about QB play because of the horrible play on the left side of the O-Line and the fact that Sims could not scramble in the game (a real strength that will be heavily leveraged if he is your starting QB). My only concern at QB was that, even when he had time to throw, Sims did not seem to know where he was supposed to be looking for open receivers based on coverages. Either some bad routes being run or Sims was not reading your defense correctly.

I also saw more dropped passes in this game (by both receivers and defensive backs) than I have ever seen in a single game before. Need some hands drills.

As for the play of your D-Line - OMG. :eek2:
Your O line comments are spot on! IMO Grant Hill needs to be starting left guard not backup right tackle. I realize it is a work in progress and do believe the best 5 will play in the fall.

Last edited:

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Florida is still Florida. Despite what the record says they still have a boat load of talent. And right now, they're a sleeping giant with a desperate coaching staff.

They won't be a pushover. And thankfully we have a week off between them and ole miss

92tide

TideFans Legend
May 9, 2000
East Point, Ga, USA
Florida is still Florida. Despite what the record says they still have a boat load of talent. And right now, they're a sleeping giant with a desperate coaching staff.

They won't be a pushover. And thankfully we have a week off between them and ole miss
well, the good part about this is that ole miss is still ole miss ;)

AlexD

1st Team
Jun 19, 2009
because Coach Saban made his first career kick the biggest kick of his career. It really wasn't fair to the kid at all. I don't think he was even warming up on the sidelines. It was like, "Adam, I know you're cold, but go in and kick a 57 harder, on the road, to win the SEC West".
If I remember right he asked coached to do it and wasn't randomly told to do it cold.

WMack4Bama

Administrator
Staff member
Nov 7, 2008
Tuscaloosa, AL
Nothing to do with anything but it's always fascinating to see some of our players in person. I'm having lunch with my family and D'Shawn Hand just walked in. At 18, this kid is as big as Robert Mathis. Physically, he is as imposing as I've seen, but his demeanor is an incredibly polite one. Kinda like A'Shawn Robinson. We're gonna run out of apostrophes at some point

TideWatcher

All-SEC
Dec 11, 2006
newton county, ms
If it means getting some more like them, will find some more apostrophes or exclamation points!
Nothing to do with anything but it's always fascinating to see some of our players in person. I'm having lunch with my family and D'Shawn Hand just walked in. At 18, this kid is as big as Robert Mathis. Physically, he is as imposing as I've seen, but his demeanor is an incredibly polite one. Kinda like A'Shawn Robinson. We're gonna run out of apostrophes at some point

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.