*** CB Minkah Fitzpatrick Commits to Alabama ***

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Unfortunately Fitzpatrick has entered definite soft commit territory, and right now it's fair to say that he's pretty open. FSU is a serious threat now, and it looks like he may be taking an official visit to Athens as well.

We are still firmly in this one, obviously, but this one is by no means in the bag. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him in crimson, but also wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him sign elsewhere.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
Well, as much as I`d hate to see him go, he`s apparently a helluva talent, if he`s going to, I wish he`d go ahead. I think we could pretty quickly reapply the spot in the class.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I think we could pretty quickly reapply the spot in the class.
I don't think we would have a problem filling his spot with someone else if he leaves, the problem is just that you hate to lose a talent like that, especially one at such a position of glaring need.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Can't help wondering if this sort of behavior is nothing new. Perhaps it has been going on between teams and kids/parents/advisors for decades. Maybe before twitt-face-gram we simply didn't know of each hiccup.

I am confident and grateful that the people running our program have plans to deal with this sort of nuttiness, though. One thing about which I do not worry is that we will have a roster of talented players, most of which will respond to the coaching they get and be in contention for lots of wins and even championships. That said, come on down, Minkah. There isn't a program with more success putting DBs in the NFL over the last 7/8 years.

For all the frustration of this back and forth, I don't miss the days when a situation like this would have enough of an effect on a class to make it or break it. Thank you, Coach Saban, et. al.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I don't think we would have a problem filling his spot with someone else if he leaves, the problem is just that you hate to lose a talent like that, especially one at such a position of glaring need.
Indeed I agree BET, I'm just holding on to faith that the young man rolls with the Tide. He's a great talent.

ptw1961

1st Team
Dec 8, 2011
Does he not have a pretty strong family connection here in the state? I believe I read that earlier?
Unfortunately Fitzpatrick has entered definite soft commit territory, and right now it's fair to say that he's pretty open. FSU is a serious threat now, and it looks like he may be taking an official visit to Athens as well.

We are still firmly in this one, obviously, but this one is by no means in the bag. Wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him in crimson, but also wouldn't be a bit surprised to see him sign elsewhere.

jambama1

All-American
Aug 1, 2005
Tuscaloosa
He says he is committed we will see, but just because other fan bases especially fsu who thinks they are getting the top25 players every yea , doesn't mean it's true. He will likely visit Georgia. Everything works itself out no matter what

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Does he not have a pretty strong family connection here in the state? I believe I read that earlier?
I believe most of his father's family is from Alabama, though I don't know what part of the state or how much of a meaningful connection (if any) he has with most of them, so I'm not sure how much that would make a difference.

More to the point, though, distance doesn't seem to make a factor at this point in time. Everyone thought for the longest that it would be and that Penn State and Ohio State would become the biggest challengers here, but that has not happened, and, regardless of where he signs, it looks like Fitzpatrick will be going a long, long way from home. In that sense, Alabama doesn't have any real edge or deficit over, for example, Georgia or Florida State.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
I think he stays comitted to Alabama... He's just checking out all of his options... Doing his homework...

I don't think we have anything to worry... but anything can happen...

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
I think he stays comitted to Alabama... He's just checking out all of his options... Doing his homework...

I don't think we have anything to worry... but anything can happen...
I'ms hoping and believing the same, on a general question, I wonder how much the pressure from players during the national all star games play a part with players looking around? Seems like this become a growing trend for the last few years that some players take time to look at other schools after hearing the pitch from other players. Not knocking it, just interesting to see the process. All that being said, I think he sticks.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
I wonder how much the pressure from players during the national all star games play a part with players looking around? Seems like this become a growing trend for the last few years that some players take time to look at other schools after hearing the pitch from other players. Not knocking it, just interesting to see the process.
This has been something that, in recent years, has really been an added dynamic for a lot of top prospects.

For better or for worse -- and I'd argue it's almost always for the worse for individual prospects -- these guys get together and collective groupthink starts to dominate the entire picture. This has been going on for some time now, basically back to the mid-to-late 2000s, but has really began to explode in recent years, especially with all of these guys going to the various all-star games and camps now and with them being in constant contact with one another on social media.

As strange as it may initially sound, I think a lot of this has actually been inspired and fueled by the NBA and its ongoing Big Three/Dream Team roster mash-ups. Whole idea there, of course, being that a group of guys get together and they go off on some sort of a dynastic run, and I think a lot of these prospects get together and decide on schools thinking the same thing will happen. Basically, "We all like ________, if all four of us sign there we'll dominate." It's nonsense, obviously, because you need about 45 quality contributors to really be a contending football team in this day and age, and the individual impact of any one player is far less in a sport like football than basketball (or even baseball), but good luck convincing some 17-18-year old kids of that, especially when all of them view themselves as inevitably being the next Brady/Moss/Peterson/Watt/Revis.

We saw a lot of this in Chizik's first full class at Auburn, and frankly a lot of it with Ole Miss a couple of years back. Again, it's all nonsense, but it can, and in my view does, have a real impact on the decision for a lot of kids.

Last edited:

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014
Just think it's an interesting dynamic in general. Most of the talk that was coming out of the all star games this year was not just how players were faring ... but talks and speculation of where players were going/flipping to. Again it's no knock because some of the speculation was if Harris would end up choosing to sign with Bama. But it seems that the FSU flip speculations kicked up during the all star game as well. I know he had interest in FSU, PSU, and OSU prior but things were relativity quiet about Minkah until the All Star game. Just all interesting to me ... makes sense for the various recruits to try to sway/flip players ... but all interesting nonetheless.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.