LB Leo Lewis Signs With Mississippi State (Update: Page 6)

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Re: ILB Leo Lewis Decommits from Alabama

Plus, we have guys like Mekhi and Bell that depending on development may be a LB or DE. I do think ILB (Will or Mike) is a bigger priority than outside guys unless some folks we have on campus move inside.
I admit to being confused. Jess said we are at least semi-thin at the inside 'backer positions{DePriest, Foster, and Ragland+Hamilton} in his "which freshmen play" story, which seems right to me. Is/can DeVall play inside? Walker Jones? Ryan Anderson?

The sky isn't falling but we might be less-than-"loaded" at inside LB.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006

I admit to being confused. Jess said we are at least semi-thin at the inside 'backer positions{DePriest, Foster, and Ragland+Hamilton} in his "which freshmen play" story, which seems right to me. Is/can DeVall play inside? Walker Jones? Ryan Anderson?

I think we are loaded at our outside spots. We have quality guys at our inside spots, just not as many, but it's not as bad as our OL depth (we lack quality experienced depth at the moment, without knowing how our true freshmen can perform). I think Leo Lewis and Drew Richmond are the two most important uncommitted guys left for this class as far as team need (we've pretty much addressed our other needs anyway).

I think Lee will move inside in some situations (mainly passing downs). I do think we need at least 1 LB for 2015 that is more geared for playing inside. The guys I mentioned as tweeners are either DE or outside LB.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

We aren't loaded at inside LB, per se, but that statement has to come with a huge caveat, which is namely that given the prevalence of spread offenses and hurry-up tempo, you really don't need anywhere near the numbers that you needed at inside linebacker even as recent as five or six years ago. True inside linebackers in a traditional 3-4 scheme -- i.e. your interior run pluggers and guard-battlers who weighing in at 245-260 -- are basically just extra luggage when you play those types of offenses.

Obviously you need them against teams that have a heavier emphasis on the interior run game -- and really, the only teams on the regular SEC schedule that fit that mold now are LSU (for now), Auburn, and Arkansas -- but otherwise you just don't need the raw number of those guys that you have needed in the past. Everything is getting smaller in the front seven, and that includes inside LB.

For the time being, I think we are basically right where we want to be in that respect. We've got four traditional inside linebacker types on campus in Depriest, Foster, Ragland, and Hamilton, and a couple of other guys who can move inside when needed (Lee being the most notable). I think that is basically how we have to allocate scholarships at those spots now.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

Gonna hurt getting these MS kids after the big win last night. Will really be tough if Mullen wins another big one or beats Ole Siss.

BAMAVILLE

Moderator (FB,BB,REC)
Staff member
Jan 9, 2014

There's still time on him, MSU beating LSU may have hurt some but it depends how MSU does for the rest of the year. They could also lose most of the rest of the games and then that LSU win will look much different. Either way it goes, he's a solid player and should be a good contributor wherever he attends school.

gumptider

1st Team
Sep 24, 2008

He committed to Ole Miss today. At this rate, he'll commit to everyone in the SEC West.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I don't think that Lewis has any real idea on what he actually wants to do, latest commitment or not, and he's basically just taking random action while biding time for NSD. Expectation is, obviously, he ends up in-state, but he's still kicking the tires on us and it wouldn't be a great surprise to see him in Tuscaloosa come January on an official visit.

Personally, it seems like academics ought to be the foremost concern here. Regardless of who he signs with on NSD, JUCO is a realistic possibility, and "would like to stay in-state" may very well mean he ends up at Scooba Tech.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Well, that ship has sailed........
I think the more fitting analogy would be to say that the ship is cruising around out in the bay for a while before it figures out which port to dock in for the night.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.