*** WR Calvin Ridley Commits to Alabama ***

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
Re: ***WR Calvin Ridley commits to Alabama***

I agree that he glides like Amari Cooper. Hope he looks like him when he gets to college. I wonder about this duo's attitude. Saw some showboating. I realize we can't judge character by showboating, but i'll keep an eye on them. Kids from Miami area always concern me. Cooper is an exception.
In any case, Welcome Ridley! glad to have you. Look forward to a great next 4 years.

Bama in Quebec

1st Team
Aug 10, 2013
Quebec city
Re: ***WR Calvin Ridley commits to Alabama***

Huge pick up ! That guy can catch a ball. Impressive highlight tape. Now, let see what he can do with us the next 4 years.

Welcome aboard Mr. Ridley

RTR !

TIDE-HSV

Senior Administrator
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Huntsville, AL,USA
Great pickup! What is the highest point? His highest point, the play's highest? I've never understood that term and take it to be made up to refer to one man going higher than the other on one play.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...
It really means out-judging the defender as to where the apex of the parabolic arc of ball's flight will be. Clear enough? :D

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
Great pickup! What is the highest point? His highest point, the play's highest? I've never understood that term and take it to be made up to refer to one man going higher than the other on one play.

Sent from my iPhone

Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

I have always been bugged by that term as well. Unless the ball is "thrown on a rope" it is VERY rare that the catch is made on the apex of the parabolic arc.

The term is usually used when the player was able to catch the ball with arms fully extended over his head. Generally the player is catching the ball at the earliest point he could have instead of waiting for it to come down and possibly allowing a defender to close on him.

CraigD

All-American
Aug 8, 2006
Columbus, GA
It's more than just jumping higher than the other guy. I could jump higher than you, but if I don't time my jump properly I can be on my way down when the ball arrives.

The skill here is timing the jump. A player who is good at this aligns the highest point of his jump with the arrival of the ball. The term used to describe this skill is a bit odd.

Last edited:

Nolan

Hall of Fame
Jul 4, 2006
Oahu
Most of that could fall under ball-skills or instincts, too. This kid looks super talented. This is a great pickup and I'm happy for him.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
Hooah, Mr. Ridley !! RTR
Yea its been going around that every player that is committed to Bama that comes in to contact with Scam this is what happens. Nothing wrong with recruiting for your alma mater but going toe to toe with a recruit?

Blindside13

All-SEC
Oct 22, 2011
Near the Barn
Yea its been going around that every player that is committed to Bama that comes in to contact with Scam this is what happens. Nothing wrong with recruiting for your alma mater but going toe to toe with a recruit?
a

Maybe scam will make these guys despise the Barn and make them hungry to beat them every year.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Ridley described himself yesterday as "95 percent" committed to Alabama, and he plans on taking official visits to Florida State and Miami.

Obviously, he's still a bit open, but frankly for a kid this good you kind of expect that things like this will happen just because so many schools are going after him with everything they've got. The good news is, of course, we've clearly still got him in our corner, he's a longtime commit, and he has a great relationship with Blake Barnett. No real reason to be overly worried now, but we are going to have to keep fighting here.

jps1983

Hall of Fame
Aug 30, 2006
Ridley described himself yesterday as "95 percent" committed to Alabama, and he plans on taking official visits to Florida State and Miami.

Obviously, he's still a bit open, but frankly for a kid this good you kind of expect that things like this will happen just because so many schools are going after him with everything they've got. The good news is, of course, we've clearly still got him in our corner, he's a longtime commit, and he has a great relationship with Blake Barnett. No real reason to be overly worried now, but we are going to have to keep fighting here.
agreed. I don't think there's much to worry about. Let the kid have his fun. I think his teammate (SBB) is a bigger risk to flip than Ridley.

Looking forward to hopefully seeing both in Crimson in. January.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008
"95%"?? If you're not 100%, then don't commit.
Yeah, 95% is not really committed now is it? I mean I get it and all, I understand the game, but this "commitment" baloney just needs to go out the window. Imagine this:

Preacher: "Do you take this woman to be your lawfully wedded wife, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, promising to be faithful to her, forsaking all others, until death do you part?"

Groom: "I do - 95% of the time or until the Maid of Honor comes up with a better deal."

News Anchor: "Would-be groom slaughtered by father/daughter team in front of God and 500 witnesses. Details at 10."

tide96

All-SEC
Oct 4, 2005
Not all of the blame is on the player. The schools pressure kids hard to commit early, telling them that their places will be gone if they don't commit right away.

Crazy things could happen. Imagine you committed to Auburn the summer of 2011 and then saw the train wreck. You would want to keep some contacts with other programs.

NoNC4Tubs

Hall of Fame
Nov 13, 2010
Crazy things could happen. Imagine you committed to Auburn the summer of 2011 and then saw the train wreck. You would want to keep some contacts with other programs.

Especially if the check bounced.......:cool2:

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.