Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 16
  1. #1
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    4,747

    Article A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward
    by Jess Nicholas
    TideFans Editor-In-Chief
    April 19th, 2014 07:13 PM

    . By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 19, 2014   Getting a read on a team through its A-Day performance is a bit like trying to pick the winner of the Daytona 500 based upon a test drive at the local Chevrolet dealership.   Yet, until Alabama actually kicks off the season against West Virginia, […]

    Read More Here
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

  2. Advertisement
  3. #2
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    11,044
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Hahaha I like the defensive line analysis.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #3
    BamaNation Second Team
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    195

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Jess, I am a big believer in Griffith (being he is a Georgia kid) and do think he will be a great one, but I was shocked by his misses.
    Do you think this is the result of nerves, coaching or something other?
    Has it been since Philip Doyle that we have had a kicker who was clutch?

  5. #4
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    4,747
    Thread Starter

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Quote Originally Posted by Atl Joe View Post
    Jess, I am a big believer in Griffith (being he is a Georgia kid) and do think he will be a great one, but I was shocked by his misses.
    Do you think this is the result of nerves, coaching or something other?
    Has it been since Philip Doyle that we have had a kicker who was clutch?
    Shelley was about as clutch as they came his final year. Michael Proctor was pretty much unshakeable until the end of his senior season, when he got the yips.

    I don't know what Griffith's deal is. He gets pro-level height off the pass but there's no excuse for a scholarshipped kicker missing a PAT. As for coaching, UA doesn't have a true kicking coach -- and most other schools don't, either. Thank the NCAA for that one with the limit on staff size. Most schools' kickers pay their own way to attend kicking camps in the offseason and that's where they get most of their instruction.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

  6. #5
    BamaNation Hall of Fame JBama_in_PCOLA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Andalusia, Alabama via Pensacola, Florida United States
    Posts
    21,205
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Love what I'm hearing about the defense. Offense was limited a lot by the "rules" today. Can't wait for the fall.


    Sent from my iPhone

    Roll Tide! 15 Time National Champions, More BCS Championships than any school...

  7. #6
    BamaNation All-SEC
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Birmingham, AL
    Posts
    1,057

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    I think that the major thing that we learned from A day was that this is going to be CNS first real rebuilding year. The defense performed well, but it was against a traditional vanilla offense. That tells us nothing about they will do against the HUNH, which confused the D last year and put them on their heels. The offense was limited by the play selection, but there was enough to expose serious concerns about the line. And the big choke that Cody Foster developed against Auburn seems to have infected our new kicker as well. All in all, not a promise of a bright future for the upcoming season.

    Whomever is going to be starting QB next season will have to be able to take a hit. Does Freddie Kitchens have any eligibility left?

  8. #7
    BamaNation All-American
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    2,999

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Shelley was about as clutch as they came his final year. Michael Proctor was pretty much unshakeable until the end of his senior season, when he got the yips.

    I don't know what Griffith's deal is. He gets pro-level height off the pass but there's no excuse for a scholarshipped kicker missing a PAT. As for coaching, UA doesn't have a true kicking coach -- and most other schools don't, either. Thank the NCAA for that one with the limit on staff size. Most schools' kickers pay their own way to attend kicking camps in the offseason and that's where they get most of their instruction.
    He has until August to get this straightened out. Leigh Tiffin struggled terribly as a freshman but righted himself. Some college kickers never do. Adam has been kicking since he was a child. It should be a reflex by now. Alas, the mind intervenes.

    "Don't think, meat. It only hurts the club."

  9. #8
    BamaNation Hall of Fame GrayTide's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Greenbow, Alabama
    Posts
    9,137

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Thanks Jess for the write up as I did not see any of the game. Sounds like there is much work to be done before September. IMO the coaching staff will earn their paychecks this season.
    "My momma always said you got to put the past behind you before you can move on." Forrest Gump

    "The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

  10. #9
    BamaNation Hall of Fame
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    6,640
    My Mood
    Mellow on TideFans.com

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Quote Originally Posted by JessN View Post
    Shelley was about as clutch as they came his final year. Michael Proctor was pretty much unshakeable until the end of his senior season, when he got the yips.

    I don't know what Griffith's deal is. He gets pro-level height off the pass but there's no excuse for a scholarshipped kicker missing a PAT. As for coaching, UA doesn't have a true kicking coach -- and most other schools don't, either. Thank the NCAA for that one with the limit on staff size. Most schools' kickers pay their own way to attend kicking camps in the offseason and that's where they get most of their instruction.
    With so many games being won or lost on FG's, I find this amazing.

  11. #10
    BamaNation Hall of Fame CajunCrimson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Breaux Bridge, La
    Posts
    8,707
    My Mood
    Busy on TideFans.com

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Quote Originally Posted by TRU View Post
    I think that the major thing that we learned from A day was that this is going to be CNS first real rebuilding year. The defense performed well, but it was against a traditional vanilla offense. That tells us nothing about they will do against the HUNH, which confused the D last year and put them on their heels. The offense was limited by the play selection, but there was enough to expose serious concerns about the line. And the big choke that Cody Foster developed against Auburn seems to have infected our new kicker as well. All in all, not a promise of a bright future for the upcoming season.

    Whomever is going to be starting QB next season will have to be able to take a hit. Does Freddie Kitchens have any eligibility left?
    I reviewed several pages of your posts -- not much positive on the Tide......Are you a Barner? Can't tell from your posts.....

    Cade Foster -- CADE Foster -- CADE FOSTER!
    Raj: Excuse me, I can't be drinking, I'm about to make an important scientific discovery here!
    Howard:What? Galileo did his best work while drinking wine!
    Raj: How do you know that?
    Howard: He was Italian, it's a reasonable assumption.
    Raj: Dude, can you even open your mouth without saying a cultural stereotype?
    Howard: I'm sorry Galileo drank diet sprite!

  12. #11
    FB Moderator kyallie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Louisville Ky. via Birmingham Al.
    Posts
    70,948
    My Mood
    GameFace on TideFans.com

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    On QB's, I think Bllake Sims is too short to see over our linemen, and spot and get a good read on open receivers. He has a lot of heart....

  13. #12
    BamaNation Hall of Fame BamaJama17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Hoover, AL
    Posts
    11,044
    My Mood
    Happy on TideFans.com

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Quote Originally Posted by CajunCrimson View Post
    I reviewed several pages of your posts -- not much positive on the Tide......Are you a Barner? Can't tell from your posts.....

    Cade Foster -- CADE Foster -- CADE FOSTER!
    Yeah seriously.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  14. #13
    Administrator &
    Editor-in-Chief

    Join Date
    Oct 1999
    Posts
    4,747
    Thread Starter

    Re: A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward

    Quote Originally Posted by kyallie View Post
    On QB's, I think Bllake Sims is too short to see over our linemen, and spot and get a good read on open receivers. He has a lot of heart....
    Sims is either the same size or an inch taller than Johnny Manziel, and Manziel has zero trouble seeing over anyone. The "short QBs can't see over tall linemen" thing is, in my opinion, one of the biggest lies in football. It's more about having a feel for when a guy will be coming open based on the coverage you read before the ball is snapped. Brodie Croyle suffered from the same thing and he was 2-3 inches taller than Sims/Manziel/etc. Unless the QB is taller than the tallest lineman, he has to be able to maneuver around the line, anyway.
    Jess Nicholas
    Editor-In-Chief
    TideFans.com

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
'Gear UP! Get your University of Alabama Crimson Tide National Championship & Football Dynasty Gear!