JessN

Administrator & Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
A-Day 2014: Vanilla offense sputters, defense takes big step forward
by Jess Nicholas
TideFans Editor-In-Chief
April 19th, 2014 07:13 PM

. By Jess Nicholas, TideFans.com Editor-In-Chief April 19, 2014   Getting a read on a team through its A-Day performance is a bit like trying to pick the winner of the Daytona 500 based upon a test drive at the local Chevrolet dealership.   Yet, until Alabama actually kicks off the season against West Virginia, […]

Read More Here

Atl Joe

1st Team
Nov 27, 2010
Jess, I am a big believer in Griffith (being he is a Georgia kid) and do think he will be a great one, but I was shocked by his misses.
Do you think this is the result of nerves, coaching or something other?
Has it been since Philip Doyle that we have had a kicker who was clutch?

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
Jess, I am a big believer in Griffith (being he is a Georgia kid) and do think he will be a great one, but I was shocked by his misses.
Do you think this is the result of nerves, coaching or something other?
Has it been since Philip Doyle that we have had a kicker who was clutch?
Shelley was about as clutch as they came his final year. Michael Proctor was pretty much unshakeable until the end of his senior season, when he got the yips.

I don't know what Griffith's deal is. He gets pro-level height off the pass but there's no excuse for a scholarshipped kicker missing a PAT. As for coaching, UA doesn't have a true kicking coach -- and most other schools don't, either. Thank the NCAA for that one with the limit on staff size. Most schools' kickers pay their own way to attend kicking camps in the offseason and that's where they get most of their instruction.

TRU

All-SEC
Oct 3, 2000
Tampa, FL
I think that the major thing that we learned from A day was that this is going to be CNS first real rebuilding year. The defense performed well, but it was against a traditional vanilla offense. That tells us nothing about they will do against the HUNH, which confused the D last year and put them on their heels. The offense was limited by the play selection, but there was enough to expose serious concerns about the line. And the big choke that Cody Foster developed against Auburn seems to have infected our new kicker as well. All in all, not a promise of a bright future for the upcoming season.

Whomever is going to be starting QB next season will have to be able to take a hit. Does Freddie Kitchens have any eligibility left?

CrimsonEyeshade

Hall of Fame
Nov 6, 2007
Shelley was about as clutch as they came his final year. Michael Proctor was pretty much unshakeable until the end of his senior season, when he got the yips.

I don't know what Griffith's deal is. He gets pro-level height off the pass but there's no excuse for a scholarshipped kicker missing a PAT. As for coaching, UA doesn't have a true kicking coach -- and most other schools don't, either. Thank the NCAA for that one with the limit on staff size. Most schools' kickers pay their own way to attend kicking camps in the offseason and that's where they get most of their instruction.
He has until August to get this straightened out. Leigh Tiffin struggled terribly as a freshman but righted himself. Some college kickers never do. Adam has been kicking since he was a child. It should be a reflex by now. Alas, the mind intervenes.

"Don't think, meat. It only hurts the club."

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
Thanks Jess for the write up as I did not see any of the game. Sounds like there is much work to be done before September. IMO the coaching staff will earn their paychecks this season.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

With so many games being won or lost on FG's, I find this amazing.

CajunCrimson

Moderator (FB,BB) and Vinyl Enthusiast
Staff member
Mar 13, 2001
Breaux Bridge, La
I think that the major thing that we learned from A day was that this is going to be CNS first real rebuilding year. The defense performed well, but it was against a traditional vanilla offense. That tells us nothing about they will do against the HUNH, which confused the D last year and put them on their heels. The offense was limited by the play selection, but there was enough to expose serious concerns about the line. And the big choke that Cody Foster developed against Auburn seems to have infected our new kicker as well. All in all, not a promise of a bright future for the upcoming season.

Whomever is going to be starting QB next season will have to be able to take a hit. Does Freddie Kitchens have any eligibility left?
I reviewed several pages of your posts -- not much positive on the Tide......Are you a Barner? Can't tell from your posts.....

Cade Foster -- CADE Foster -- CADE FOSTER!

JessN

Staff member
Oct 13, 1999
On QB's, I think Bllake Sims is too short to see over our linemen, and spot and get a good read on open receivers. He has a lot of heart....
Sims is either the same size or an inch taller than Johnny Manziel, and Manziel has zero trouble seeing over anyone. The "short QBs can't see over tall linemen" thing is, in my opinion, one of the biggest lies in football. It's more about having a feel for when a guy will be coming open based on the coverage you read before the ball is snapped. Brodie Croyle suffered from the same thing and he was 2-3 inches taller than Sims/Manziel/etc. Unless the QB is taller than the tallest lineman, he has to be able to maneuver around the line, anyway.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
I finally got to see the replay last night and did not see anything that would give you any indication where this team is. It is apparent that the A Day scrimmaged is highly orchestrated and except for enjoying a warm spring afternoon in TTown I did not notice much that would sway me either way.

It appeared that the defense was far ahead of the offense which is to be expected at this time. The pass rush looked much better; however, it looked like the OL had some major issues, especially the left side. Lots of poorly thrown passes and lots of drops. Yeldon and Jones looked good, Henry and Tenpenney struggled. To the untrained eye, the offense looked just like last year's, but maybe this will change before August 30th.

All things considered, I do not think you could take anything away from the A Day scrimmage.

bigjue24

Suspended
Dec 2, 2009
Okeechobee, FL
I watched the A-Day game, but never really take much stock in it. Bama may be great this year I don't know. The QB situation doesn't really bother me at this point. The guy most think will start wasn't even on the field. We will all have to wait until WV to find out what the Tide really has. The defense looked great, but I think that could be a result of bad o-line play, or it could be that the defensive line is just that good. I have no idea which one it is, and to be honest no one else really does either, except for Arie, he simply can't move.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.