my A game take

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
To be fair to the o-line, the offense was hampered by the qbs not really being able to scramble and run. There were a few times when the qbs would have run for yards but because they were touched by a defensive player the play was blown dead. The defensive line was simply able to pin their ears back more often. Also, the play calling was very simple. That having been said I do think the line play has to improve (and I think it will).

QB play left a little to be desired (on face value) but, as stated above, they were a little hamstrung as far as being able to scramble/improvise.
It's true that defensive line may have been more aggressive and they could kill a play by getting just one hand on the qb.

My concern, especially with Sims, is:

1. He forces throws that aren't there.
2. When there is a simple, short pass in the flats of 10-15 yards he struggles with accuracy, big time.
3. This is a little more subjective, but I'm afraid there will be times he'll try to "prove" he's a qb when he really needs to run. Don't know if you caught it or not during the A-day game, but I heard CNS, who was miked up, tell BS several times that he could run.

I just don't buy they fact that A-day rules hurt BS....on the contrary, he could have run more and was encouraged to do so AND the simple, vanilla offense should have made him feel more comfortable.

Except for a couple of late, 4th quarter throws, Bateman played circles around him.

Last edited:

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
I finally finished watching the A-day game last night. I was out of town over the weekend and finally was able to watch in it's entirety between ESPNU's origninal broadcast and then the rebroadcast on Sunday night that included the entire fourth quarter.

Instead of a new thread, I thought I'd add my thoughts to this one:

OL: Lot's of handwringing over this one and they've got work to do, but I think their struggles have more to do with how good our front seven are going to be. I've read a little about Dominic Lee and surely he's being brought in to take a spot somewhere, probably left tackle. As good as Cam will be, unless he blows up next fall, I doubt he'll start. As good as our OL recruiting has been, I think we'll have a servicable, if not very good OL by the time we hit the meat of our schedule next year...get past WVU and then a couple of cupcakes and we'll be o.k.

QB: I've never thought Blake Sims was going to be the answer at qb, and now I'm even more convinced. I saw what I've seen in his limited fill in duties the last year or two. His arm strength is not the problem. He is just terribly inaccurate. He often throws a 10 yard pass 2 yards ahead or behind of a streaking receiver or sometimes he'll throw it at their feet. I lost count how many times he did this. And when he throws long it's almost like punting. Perry just flat out dropped another INT on one of his long throws or BS would have had three INTs.

The one pass Coker tried to throw, he made a great decision to basically throw it into the ground because the receiver in the flats was covered tightly and was in position to make an INT and it would have been a pic six. I really wish we could have seen Cornwell thrown a few more passes. If Coker wasn't coming, I'd think Cornwell might have a real chance of meaningful playing time next fall.

I was fairly impressed with Bateman and I think if we had to use him next year he could possibly be as good as Gmac with some playing time and experience.

BUT I'M GLAD JAKE COKER IS COMING IN THE SUMMER TO COMPETE!
Dominic Lee?

If Coker threw a pass in the A-Day game, we have LARGE problems.

We agree on Bateman.

TouchThatThang

All-SEC
Feb 8, 2014
Bateman makes some beautiful throws but his game was pretty predictable. He likes to go for the route down the sideline, and he has the confidence and ability to "throw his guy open" vs good man coverage. But he frequently failed to account for the safety coming over and that's a good way to get your receiver killed if you don't give the other team the ball.

OL is good on the right side and Kelley has improved a lot. I refuse to believe we don't have a better guard than Arie. I just think CNS just has a subconscious policy of not benching veteran starters in favor of less experienced, more talented guys. As for the LT position, Jackson is a bonafide beast and more than adequate pass blocker. All in all our OL could turn out to be much better than we expect, similar to 2009.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
He's referring to Dominic Jackson. The second time I think he meant to say Cornwell instead of Coker.
Yep, thanks for cleaning that up for me. Don't know where I got Dominic Lee from but I actually first said "Coker" only threw one pass, but later got it right when I said "Cornwell."

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
Bateman makes some beautiful throws but his game was pretty predictable. He likes to go for the route down the sideline, and he has the confidence and ability to "throw his guy open" vs good man coverage. But he frequently failed to account for the safety coming over and that's a good way to get your receiver killed if you don't give the other team the ball.

OL is good on the right side and Kelley has improved a lot. I refuse to believe we don't have a better guard than Arie. I just think CNS just has a subconscious policy of not benching veteran starters in favor of less experienced, more talented guys. As for the LT position, Jackson is a bonafide beast and more than adequate pass blocker. All in all our OL could turn out to be much better than we expect, similar to 2009.
Arie has had some tremendous injuries. Being another year removed without setback could allow him to improve I suppose. I don't see the same tolerance as last season, should he struggle. With the influx of talent, too many options and this team is searching for an offensive identity right out the gate.

CSA4Ever

Scout Team
Jun 6, 2010
I got a huge chuckle reading this thread. It is almost identical to threads on the OU boards but with different player names.

Spring games are fun but we need to beware of taking too much from them. April heroes sometimes become September duds and guys we barely notice turn into Fall supermen.

BOOMER SOONER.....ROLL TIDE ROLL

glasscutter256

All-American
Jan 31, 2009
Huntsville
I agree with the OP. If these were basic plays, why did our offense look lost trying to run them. The OL wasn't good. We have beat that to death. But also the QB and WR weren't on the same page either. There were numerous throws to areas with no receivers and the defense dropped probably 3 interceptions. If we can't run basic plays, what makes us think we will be any better running the whole playbook.
I say all of this to say Kiffin better shape up. Being the players friends and buddies doesn't make a good coach or coordinator. Coach first, friend second. I realize it is a new system, but again, these are basic plays that these players have run for the past 2-4 years.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Well let's face it. As far as most are Barners especially) concerned, CNS has lost his way and Alabama has been left for dead. I can only hope WVU and the others take this team lightly. They will sure regret it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bamaslammer

All-American
Jan 8, 2003
Argo, AL, St Clair
www.kirkwoodhouse.com
I don't recall the line ever looking particularly good in the spring. We have three guys who are going to begin their second seasons as starters. While the coaching could effect this under Saban most players starting their second season as a starter on the OL improved significantly, though it was several games in the second season before it became apparent.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
Well let's face it. As far as most are Barners especially) concerned, CNS has lost his way and Alabama has been left for dead. I can only hope WVU and the others take this team lightly. They will sure regret it.

I'm not sure how WVU will take us. But I can promise you this. They will do exactly what Auburn and Oklahoma did until we show we can stop it. That is something I can say with utmost confidence.

Tideflyer

Hall of Fame
Dec 14, 2011
Savannah, GA
I'm not sure how WVU will take us. But I can promise you this. They will do exactly what Auburn and Oklahoma did until we show we can stop it. That is something I can say with utmost confidence.
Agreed. Anybody with half a brain would try to run the HUNH right down our throats.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
True. OTOH though they had better bring a good defense as well. CDH has had some great offenses in his 3 years but defense that's been a different story. 2011 26.8 ppg, 2012 38.1 ppg, & 2013 33.3 ppg. I have more confidence that Bama's defense will get more stops than WVU's will.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.