Comments from Coach Saban

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Comments from Saban

It's one thing for a coach, even if it's CNS to say, "I'm done...things are different now." I suspect he'll eventually get to that point, but I hope it's a few more years down the pipe.

But I'm glad sports change. I played high school basketball in the late 80's and saw how the first year the 3 point shot was added changed the game....and it was for the better! Yes, it was better for me, as a shooting guard, but it also has made the game more exciting.

Same could be said with football during many eras change.

Hard helmets and facemasks changed the game for the better.

The addition of the forward pass...

The wishbone....

The fun n gun...

The spread....I may not like it but it's making the game more exciting for some...

Now, the college football playoff!

If you want to quit watching because of these changes it is your business but I'll gripe, if necessary, but I'll keep on watching (and I suspect most of you will too)!!!

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

It's one thing for a coach, even if it's CNS to say, "I'm done...things are different now." I suspect he'll eventually get to that point, but I hope it's a few more years down the pipe.

But I'm glad sports change. I played high school basketball in the late 80's and saw how the first year the 3 point shot was added changed the game....and it was for the better! Yes, it was better for me, as a shooting guard, but it also has made the game more exciting.

The wishbone....

The fun n gun...

The spread....I may not like it but it's making the game more exciting for some...

If you want to quit watching because of these changes it is your business but I'll gripe, if necessary, but I'll keep on watching (and I suspect most of you will too)!!!
I agree. Football is a great game exactly for this reason. There is a great variety of offensive schemes and defensive schemes that can all be effective depending on your personnel. It's cool how the same game can be played well in such a variety of ways. It's a constant battle between the offensive and defensive minds to take advantage of what other teams are doing.

With that preface I threw out a random idea with my dad the other day. The Oregon Stanford game last year was very interesting to me. Stanford was able to take advantage of Oregon's lack of size by literally having more offensive lineman in the game than Oregon could handle. With the amount of OL we have been taking in and the general trend of teams going to smaller DE and smaller LBs to deal with the spread I've wondered if Bama could actually use this tactic. Im not saying as a full time offensive strategy but just as a way to show a different look and see how the defense reacts. If this incoming class of OL is as good as expected I don't see why we couldn't do it over the next few years.

twofbyc

Hall of Fame
Oct 14, 2009

The wishbone....

The fun n gun...

There are literally a plethora of other changes that have come to pass, beyond the ones you mention; notice I said I didn't neccessarily not accept changes, I just didn't like some of them. There is not one change you mentioned in either basketball or football that I have a problem with. Most of my issues reside with rule changes that severely alter game play (seriously, if you drove to the basket back then like players do now, every official on the floor would either call traveling or palming, two rules which I thought were an inherent part of the game.)
As for changes to football, well...it's a violent sport and when they make it like a flag game, I will have already been a non-viewer for a while. Some (again I say some) of the changes they are making to reduce the possibility of injury are taking away from the game, IMO. Many more like them will do it for me, as will others that don't have anything to do with this subject but do reduce the appeal, in my eyes.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.