Link: Former Auburn, Alabama OL Target Austin Golson Considering Transfer From Ole Miss

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Click here

Ole Miss offensive lineman Austin Golson is considering transferring from the program to somewhere closer to his Prattville home.

"My grandparents are having some health issues, so I'm going to see about getting closer to home," Golson told AL.com Monday. "I haven't made any decisions yet. I love it (at Ole Miss), but I'll know by the end of the semester."

The 6-foot-5, 309-pounder said Rebels head coach Hugh Freeze has very understanding of the situation.

"He told me, 'Do what's best for you.' He understands it doesn't have anything to do with football."
I highly doubt he comes to Bama. He grew up an Auburn fan, and I believe Craig was his recruiter at FSU. Auburn seems to be the obvious choice. I wouldn't expect Freeze to allow that, though. I would think he goes to UAB and play for former Prattville coach Bill Clark.

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Click here

I highly doubt he comes to Bama. He grew up an Auburn fan, and I believe Craig was his recruiter at FSU. Auburn seems to be the obvious choice. I wouldn't expect Freeze to allow that, though. I would think he goes to UAB and play for former Prattville coach Bill Clark.
From the article:

The Daily Journal reports Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze is not expected to block Golson from transferring to a fellow SEC West institution like Auburn, where he has a good relationship with Tigers head coach Gus Malzahn.
Given the situation, it appears that Feeze is going to be a little more forgiving than maybe he would be under normal conditions.

davefrat

Hall of Fame
Jun 4, 2002
Hopewell, VA
Fixed.

There's being understanding, and there's being stupid. Troy's only an hour away from Auburn.
and how much exposure is this kid going to get at troy as opposed to auburn? perhaps freeze is less concerned with how the transfer will affect ole miss and more concerned with helping this kid make the best decisions for both his family and his football career.

what you call stupid another may call compassion.

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Fixed.

There's being understanding, and there's being stupid. Troy's only an hour away from Auburn.
Is everyone missing the obvious here? Wasn't Golson part of the suprisingly good recruiting class (the best one Ole Mi$$ ever had)?

I'm guessing Freeze wouldn't want to make Golson angry at him, because Golson probably has some leverage. You do not want to make someone who knows where the proverbial bodies are buried disgruntled.

So, it doesn't look compassionate or stupid to me.

Last edited:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007
Golson-to-Ole Miss never made any sense in the first place, and it still doesn't.

Frankly, I just find something off-putting about this one. Can't put my finger on why, really, but it just doesn't seem quite right. I'm sure his grandparents are going through some medical issues -- as are most of individuals who are 65+ -- but Oxford isn't that far away from home, he never put any real premium on playing close to home before (remember, he was committed to FSU before he signed with Ole Miss) and he was in line for a starting job at Ole Miss, albeit at right tackle when he was dead-set on playing left tackle when he came out of Prattville.

Perhaps he's just not particularly happy in Oxford? Or, in the alternative, perhaps he thinks he can transfer, sit out a year, and take over at left tackle for Auburn in 2015 when Shon Coleman leaves? I don't know if those things may be the driving factor, of course, but something about this just strikes me the wrong way and makes me tend to disbelieve the proffered reason for the transfer.

In any event, it seems pretty clear to me where he is headed...

Last edited:

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Surprising no one, Golson will walk-on at Auburn:

@OleMissFB Austin Golson has decided to move closer to his family and is choosing to walk on at Auburn, following normal NCAA transfer rules.

deltatider

1st Team
Nov 29, 2005
It's my understanding that his grandparents own a condo in Oxford and that his grandfather did have a heart attack but it was over a year ago.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
It's my understanding that his grandparents own a condo in Oxford and that his grandfather did have a heart attack but it was over a year ago.
Read Krazy's post above. Explains it all in black and white. Pretty obvious if you think about how it happened.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Detla is correct. Austin's grandfather had a heart attack last year but is doing fine now. The grandparents being sick appears to be just an excuse.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.