Civilians not ready for EMP

TideMan09

Hall of Fame
Jan 17, 2009
Anniston, Alabama
So they know how to protect us from EMP's & haven't done so cause of politics..Screw all that..Why don't they just do it silently & have our country ready for whatever from a nuclear EMP from us idiot humans or should Mother Nature get all moody on us & gets the sun to throw an CME at us..It's not like the government doesn't do stuff the American People doesn't know about..Just do it & the hell with politics..

Last edited:

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham
It would throw our country back into the stone ages. If you haven't read One Second After, read it. It's a fictional event of what would happen in the event of an EMP burst.
That was an interesting book. While they were pointing out all of the things that would be affected, I kept thinking of all the people I knew who would be dead within weeks. For instance, my mom has diabetes. Once her supply of meds ran out, there would be no refill.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL
That was an interesting book. While they were pointing out all of the things that would be affected, I kept thinking of all the people I knew who would be dead within weeks. For instance, my mom has diabetes. Once her supply of meds ran out, there would be no refill.
So has Mrs. Reb, which brings up another interesting point of discussion. There will be literally millions of people who will start to physically suffer when their meds run out. Medical assistance won't be available and there is no telling how long they will be without those medications. We who love and care for them will be faced with a grim decision of what to do about their suffering.

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
This sounds almost as terrible as Y2K!!!!
Y2K was a possibility, one way or another an EMP is an eventual reality.

That said, I've spent a few years off and one reading up on EMPs and quite frankly, the size required to do the damage this article envisions is only possible from a CME, imo. The Russians are the only people with the current tech to detonate an EMP high enough and powerful enough to destroy the US infrastructure, and they can't get it there without us knowing.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005

That said, I've spent a few years off and one reading up on EMPs and quite frankly, the size required to do the damage this article envisions is only possible from a CME, imo. The Russians are the only people with the current tech to detonate an EMP high enough and powerful enough to destroy the US infrastructure, and they can't get it there without us knowing.
Unless of course "someone" just happened to have at their disposal a large enough aircraft (say, for instance, a Boeing 777-200 that was previously assumed to have crashed into an ocean) that was stripped out and reloaded with a nuclear bomb.

Catfish

Hall of Fame
Oct 11, 2005
Birmingham

:icon_bs: What about North Korea? :rofl:

Last edited:

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
Unless of course "someone" just happened to have at their disposal a large enough aircraft (say, for instance, a Boeing 777-200 that was previously assumed to have crashed into an ocean) that was stripped out and reloaded with a nuclear bomb.
A 777 can't get anywhere near high enough to do more than localized damage. To hit half the US you'd need to achieve 220 miles altitude with a high yield nuke.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
:icon_bs: What about North Korea? :rofl:
LOL, see above - NK doesn't have there launch tech or the yield to hit more than a small portion of the US. If someone wants to bring the electrical grid down (for which the HV transmission lines would be nice antennae) they'd have to hit a large pert ion of the US, which means high altitude (HEMP) and therefore much higher yield.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
LOL, see above - NK doesn't have there launch tech or the yield to hit more than a small portion of the US. If someone wants to bring the electrical grid down (for which the HV transmission lines would be nice antennae) they'd have to hit a large pert ion of the US, which means high altitude (HEMP) and therefore much higher yield.
I took it as poking fun of the producers casting NK as the bad guys in the Red Dawn remake. I couldn't laugh though ... I am still to mad at them for such a horrible remake of one of my favorite childhood movies.:mad:

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
A 777 can't get anywhere near high enough to do more than localized damage. To hit half the US you'd need to achieve 220 miles altitude with a high yield nuke.
I believe an airliner's cruising altitude is limited only by it's ability to maintain cabin pressure and it's time of descent in case of an emergency. Now if you don't need those things.....

Never underestimate your enemy's ability or willingness to think and act "outside the box". If they really want to bring you harm, they will do both the unimaginable and presumably impossible to achieve their goals.

crimsonaudio

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 9, 2002
crimsonaudio.net
I believe an airliner's cruising altitude is limited only by it's ability to maintain cabin pressure and it's time of descent in case of an emergency. Now if you don't need those things.....
Uhh, no - you need oxygen for the turbines and enough airflow to lift the airframe. An airliner will not get remotely high enough to cause widespread damage via a HEMP.

Displaced Bama Fan

Hall of Fame
Jun 5, 2000
Shiner, TX
Yep, it's very scary. People on dialysis, those that have pacemakers or on other life support mechanisms would be dead quickly. The part of the book when they are in the elderly center is eye opening as well. It makes you sick and feel completely helpless for those folks.

G-VilleTider

Suspended
Aug 17, 2006
Think about it like this. A 777 can only fly a little higher than the distance between you and coumbiana (your closest city, right?). While CA is talking about the distance between you and Gulf Shores. (It is easier for me to visualize just how close to the surface planes fly, relatively speaking, when I think of it this way.) It is not a small technical difference we are talking about; it is many orders of magnitude more technically challenging.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.