McElroy's Take On AJ's A-Day Game Comment

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
From all indications, there was a significant disconnect between the older players and the newcomers.

That sounds like you're saying that the upperclassmen couldn't tell the youngsters that the sky is blue. If true, what could have changed so dramatically in a few short months? It's been my displeasure to find, that when I'm speaking to even much older people than these kids, that when people aren't listening, it's a long term problem. If these star freshmen were tuning out the seniors for an entire football season, during a historic run at college football greatness, not much would be changing in a few short weeks through the spring days of practice. Yet Saban has been consistent in his praise for this football teams attitude from start to stop.

Sooner or later the failed opportunity will have to shift to what the biggest failure was really all about. We could not figure out the HUNH teams. We may as well put it on the headstone of the 2013 season and lay it to rest. We could not handle the HUNH offenses when it mattered most.

That doesn't really reflect negativity on AJ, given his overall productivity through the season. The Sooner game was just being in the wrong bowl at the wrong time. It happens and will again, unfortunately. AJ needs to figure out as much and please, move on.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
That sounds like you're saying that the upperclassmen couldn't tell the youngsters that the sky is blue. If true, what could have changed so dramatically in a few short months? It's been my displeasure to find, that when I'm speaking to even much older people than these kids, that when people aren't listening, it's a long term problem. If these star freshmen were tuning out the seniors for an entire football season, during a historic run at college football greatness, not much would be changing in a few short weeks through the spring days of practice. Yet Saban has been consistent in his praise for this football teams attitude from start to stop.

Sooner or later the failed opportunity will have to shift to what the biggest failure was really all about. We could not figure out the HUNH teams. We may as well put it on the headstone of the 2013 season and lay it to rest. We could not handle the HUNH offenses when it mattered most.

That doesn't really reflect negativity on AJ, given his overall productivity through the season. The Sooner game was just being in the wrong bowl at the wrong time. It happens and will again, unfortunately. AJ needs to figure out as much and please, move on.
From what I've read, it seems like the older players didn't try to connect with the younger players.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
From what I've read, it seems like the older players didn't try to connect with the younger players.
That I would believe. I have watched AJ's diffinition of leadership in very small increments. From Barrett Jones to Derrick Henry, at times, it involved some overreaction while the cameras were rolling. Great leaders don't tend to lose that sense of timing just because of the heat of battle. But senior leadership falls on more than one.

I honestly think that AJ was involved in such a historic run at greatness, it's hard to move on for him and not question what if. He is an extremely emotional kid anyway, but this one is over and done.

Luvubama

All-SEC
May 26, 2008
Charlotte NC
I heard Nick say tonight in Charlotte that last year's team did not buy in to the process and didn't do all they could to be successful. But he also said he's encouraged by what he's seen from this year's squad. I don't have a problem with AJ calling them out.

russtang

All-American
Apr 11, 2007
Central Alabama
www.uniquetitanium.com
In AJ's interviews talking about the reason for the 2 losses and the bad ending to the year, I haven't read any where AJ talks about his interceptions, overthrows, underthrows, making the wrong reads, bad audibles etc.

He doesn't mention what he could have done different or better as a senior leader to help keep the team focused.

AJ didn't take public responsibility for HIS actions while calling out others.
That's my problem with AJ' comments.

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
He never could get over his fear of being attacked by his own team mates and was never the same after his own center delivered the hardest hit of the night while the whole world watched.
True but more than likely it was Barrett Jones that was right during that scuffle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.