McElroy's Take On AJ's A-Day Game Comment

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
This horse has been ridden to the point of being tiresome...but came up again Saturday when AJ "blamed" last season's ending on the younger players. Here is what Greg McElroy explained as the reason he had a problem with AJ's comment and I agree totally with his team concept approach - "The reason being is because if guys are complacent, especially the younger guys, you refuse to allow that to happen," said McElroy, who attended the game in his new role with the SEC Network. "I didn't appreciate the way he came out and said that about his teammates. The season was over, it didn't go the way we wanted it to go and we're all disappointed with the outcome. That's the way he should have handled it." Link

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You know what AJ was right.....seniors on team agreed. Moving on next.. Greg should take his own advice I mean he said same thing about jets

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Relayer

Hall of Fame
Mar 25, 2001
I have to agree with McElroy. If the players were complacent,especially younger players, then that indicates, to a degree, a failure of senior leadership.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I heard the interview where AJ said it (again) and whether it is true or not it just comes across the wrong way. It comes across as blaming someone else on the team and not taking part of the blame. If the leadership were doing its job maybe the let down from the younger guys wouldn't have happened.

Maybe AJ should have pulled a Johnny Manziel and get in his offense's face (ala aTm vs Duke) and demand the job be done. I never saw AJ do any of this. The only outward sign of leadership I saw was from CJ Moseley.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
CNS has called him out once before on this. I wish he would do it again. AJ needs to shut up about it. He can tell the reporters he's not discussing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BigBama76

Suspended
Oct 26, 2011
Atlanta, GA
I heard the interview where AJ said it (again) and whether it is true or not it just comes across the wrong way. It comes across as blaming someone else on the team and not taking part of the blame. If the leadership were doing its job maybe the let down from the younger guys wouldn't have happened.

Maybe AJ should have pulled a Johnny Manziel and get in his offense's face (ala aTm vs Duke) and demand the job be done. I never saw AJ do any of this. The only outward sign of leadership I saw was from CJ Moseley.
Some of the comments coming from AJ since the end of the season bother me.

I hate to say it and I'll probably catch it for saying this but I felt his play in the Sugar Bowl was an attempt to showcase his own talents prior to the NFL draft to shake some of the "game manager" label he'd been saddled with. He certainly didn't play well to say the least and as the QB and team leader has a lot of responsibility for the outcome of that game.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
I thought AJ was selected as captain? Apparently, he doesn't get the concept of where the buck stops.

What I really fear is when his reality show takes off, this is all going to start making perfect sense.

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
You know what, you have to be there to understand what he was saying... I have heard few things about some players on the team that was taking winning for granted and got complacent and I can honestly say some of the younger players was factor in this... Its not fair to blame it on senior leadership because If you're going to blame it on them, why not blame it on the coaches? did they said that staff didn't have that connection with the players in the off season and Even Saban said that he could sense complacement early in the season. There was reason why we played sloppy.. but let's not just jump on AJ for what he said, Maybe he could've handled it differently but I get what he was saying.. I definitely do.

CrimsonProf

Hall of Fame
Dec 30, 2006
Birmingham, Alabama
AJ may be right on the merits, though how you can accuse a player who is new to the team of being complacent is beyond me (unless you want to butcher the English language). In any event, we've hit a point where AJ really, really needs to shut his mouth, for the sake of the current team and for the sake of his own legacy.

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
You know what, you have to be there to understand what he was saying... I have heard few things about some players on the team that was taking winning for granted and got complacent and I can honestly say some of the younger players was factor in this... Its not fair to blame it on senior leadership because If you're going to blame it on them, why not blame it on the coaches? did they said that staff didn't have that connection with the players in the off season and Even Saban said that he could sense complacement early in the season. There was reason why we played sloppy.. but let's not just jump on AJ for what he said, Maybe he could've handled it differently but I get what he was saying.. I definitely do.

Why verbally blame it on anyone? Isn't that the better point? Coach Saban just made some major changes with his staff. That spoke louder than words. He also stated that this group of players are not just parroting what needs to be done but are "executing" what the coaches are asking from them. Again, adjustments made. Spring has sprung and we got 4* and 5* athletes coming out our ears at every position, 2 deep. Just makes you wonder why AJ is holding on so tight?

alwayshavebeen

All-SEC
Sep 22, 2013
North Carolina
From reading your comments I think you feel like AJ is being attacked, and Bama fans should appreciate him more and not criticize him for anything. Heck, I think we all appreciate AJ's contribution to the success we have all enjoyed and wish we could sing his praises for decades to come. The problem is that he is criticizing members of the team and that is not sitting well with a lot of fans including myself. He nor anyone else is bigger than Alabama Football, and he needs to think about his legacy before he is thought of as a leader that wouldn't take responsibility. JMO

Last edited:

JustNeedMe81

Hall of Fame
Sep 30, 2011
Huntsville, Al
In a way, you do get my point, but the other point I was making is that AJ should be allowed to speak up, and it seems that other players on the team agreed with him.. and yet he's being " attacked" for voicing his thoughts... You know AJ has always been outspoken and is willing to speak up to Saban. I just think This blame shouldn't be on him and senior for lack of leadership.. there's plenty of blame to go around..........

From reading your comments I think you feel like AJ is being attacked, and Bama fans should appreciate him more and not criticize him for anything. Heck, I think we all appreciate AJ's contribution to the success we have all enjoyed and wish we could sing his praises for decades to come. The problem is that he is criticizing members of the team and that is not sitting well with a lot of fans including myself. He nor anyone else is bigger than Alabama Football, and he needs to think about his legacy before he is thought of as a leader that wouldn't take responsibility. JMO

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
In a way, you do get my point, but the other point I was making is that AJ should be allowed to speak up, and it seems that other players on the team agreed with him.. and yet he's being " attacked" for voicing his thoughts... You know AJ has always been outspoken and is willing to speak up to Saban. I just think This blame shouldn't be on him and senior for lack of leadership.. there's plenty of blame to go around..........
You're right, and when there's plenty of blame to go around (including yourself) you don't publicly point the finger at others. You simply say "We didn't get it done" and move on. But AJ can't seem to do that.

GrayTide

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 2005
Greenbow, Alabama
While AJ was one of my all time favorite Alabama QBs; it is time for him to move on. There is absolutely no need for him to continue hanging out in Tuscaloosa and putting himself in a situation where some dumb arse reporter is going to bait him into saying something that could be construed to be a negative against the team and staff. Time to move on to the next chapter in his life and close the book on college.

mittman

All-American
Jun 19, 2009
IMHO It is OK for A.J. to say what he said. It is OK for Greg to say what he said. I don't see a reason to get really worked up about either. If A.J.'s comments get under the skin of some of the players, maybe they will be motivated to prove him wrong. As much as both of them have done for the program, I'm just not all that worked up about either of them.

TideEngineer08

TideFans Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Beautiful Cullman, AL
The attitude of discipline, taking nothing for granted, working 100% each day to get better, that is something that is passed down from class to class. It's not something any of the newcomers can be expected to just "get" from day 1. The responsibility lies with the veterans to make sure the young guys are following the standard.

If AJ isn't careful, he's going to find out how quickly someone can go from beloved to despised.

Chukker Veteran

Hall of Fame
Feb 6, 2001
I remember reporters asking AJ before the Iron Bowl whether Saban would be at Bama the next season. I thought that was one heck of a question for him to have to deal with at the time.

Saban's agent got Saban a big raise using Texas as leverage, but in my opinion it came with a cost. I don't think team chemistry is ever improved when there is uncertainty about whether the coach is staying or going.

Who knows why the younger players and older players didn't seem to be on the same page last season...but there's nothing gained by the quarterback dishing out negative talk at this point. I'm guessing Saban, as always, has learned and will not repeat the same mistakes twice.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.