"We will not be in the national championship game" Charlie Strong

AlexanderFan

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Birmingham
Establishing realistic expectations. At least for the first year. Also builds a little fire under the team to prove him wrong.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football
I think it was a smart play on his part. One, it is being what he thinks in his mind is realistic. He's now seen first hand what they have and obviously in his professional opinion they don't have what it takes to get there. Two, it provides motivation to his players to prove him wrong. It is a challenge of sorts to his players. "PROVE TO ME YOU'RE GOOD ENOUGH!"

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
Yes he had a good point. He for sure isn't going to be making many friends in Austin by saying that but in the end I'm sure he'll have them in the right direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

selmaborntidefan

TideFans Legend
Mar 31, 2000
1) "I don't know exactly what month or day.."

I had my eyes on another job while I was at Louisville. Where's the media butchering this guy?

2) "One of the elite programs in the country"

Minnesota has won more national titles

3) "...this is considered the best coaching job in football."

Really? He was like TENTH on their list. If it's so good, why do so many folks at lesser places (Barnett at NW in 1997) turn it down?

He didn't say nothing about not being in the national championship - not on that one anyway..

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
1) "I don't know exactly what month or day.."

I had my eyes on another job while I was at Louisville. Where's the media butchering this guy?

2) "One of the elite programs in the country"

Minnesota has won more national titles

3) "...this is considered the best coaching job in football."

Really? He was like TENTH on their list. If it's so good, why do so many folks at lesser places (Barnett at NW in 1997) turn it down?

He didn't say nothing about not being in the national championship - not on that one anyway..
http://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/eye...-boosters-longhorns-wont-play-for-title-in-14

It was quoted but they never showed it on video.

Last edited:

tidefanbeezer

All-American
Sep 25, 2006
Atlanta, GA
This really isn't that different than what Saban did when he arrived at Bama. He's setting the tone that this won't be a quick turnaround. I think its wise of him to manage the expectations of the fan base.

UnnamedSooner

Dec 8, 2013
McKinney, TX
I've yet to form an opinion about Strong. I do know when Stoops took over at OU, they asked how many wins the fans could expect the first season and he responded something like "We are going to try and win all of them" I like that attitude better.

GreatDanish

Hall of Fame
Nov 22, 2005
TN
This is the right thing to say. If he was at Tennessee, he'd have to say the opposite.

If your team and fans think that you have no hope, you have to sell them hope - "Stop with the attitude! If you commit to what we're doing, we will be playing in the championship! There is absolutely no reason why we can't be the best team in the country."

If your team and fans think that you should have a birthright to a national championship, you have to temper their expectations: "I know you all want to win a championship this year, but it's not going to happen. We are simply not that good yet. But we will be. Stick with us and we'll get there. Just not now."

257WBY

Suspended
Aug 20, 2011
Strong had a player get mouthy about how bad Baylor sucks, etc over the weekend. Of course, the player was forgetting that Texas had lost 3 of 4 to Baylor. I think Strong was trying to calm down his players as well as fans expectations.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
He is probably right and it is probably the way to attempt to manage expectations. My opinion .

It is little more than a gut feeling, but mine says Strong may be the best hire for Texas since Darrell Royal.

Last edited:

BamaJama17

Hall of Fame
Sep 17, 2006
Hoover, AL
He is probably right and it is probably the way to attempt to manage expectations. My opinion .

It is little more than a gut feeling, but mine says Strong may be the best hire for Texas since Darrell Royal.
Just don't tell that to any Texas fans...;)

JohnS

BamaNation Citizen
Oct 7, 2013
Strong had a player get mouthy about how bad Baylor sucks, etc over the weekend. Of course, the player was forgetting that Texas had lost 3 of 4 to Baylor. I think Strong was trying to calm down his players as well as fans expectations.

Texas linebacker Steve Edmond issued an apology late Thursday for the comments he made after the spring game in which he blasted Baylor and called the Big 12 champs “trash.”
"I need to apologize for what I said about the Baylor program last week,” Edmond said in a statement released by school officials.

“I respect them for everything they've accomplished,” Edmond added. “I've been so frustrated over not being able to play in last year's game and our loss to them that I let all that anger build up and get the best of me. I won't let that happen again.”

Edmond stunned a small group of reporters after the spring game last Saturday by blurting out, “I really don’t like Baylor. I still think they’re trash and stuff like that.” He also chided the Bears for the way they acted after winning their first Big 12 title. “Baylor got a win and act like they never won before.”

Texas coach Charlie Strong praised Baylor and coach Art Briles in an interview Monday before the Comin’ On Strong Tour stop in Fort Worth.

“I really respect the program at Baylor,” Strong said. “I can see where (Edmond) was upset after a loss, but he’s got to know how to handle that situation.”
On Tuesday, Briles shrugged the comments off altogether. Texas and Baylor meet again Oct. 4.
http://www.statesman.com/weblogs/be...lb-steve-edmond-apologizes-baylor-trash-comm/

Im liking most of what I'm hearing from Strong. Good for competition.
Sounds like Steve and Strong had a good long talk.

Hubris can be deadly to a program. Seniors at ut have seen a single win over Baylor in their four years as students.

Strong with his no NCS comment is heading in the right direction IMO.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.