Link: Source: Chad Lindsay To Buckeyes

• Bama Gymnastics @ NCAA Championship Semi-finals (ESPN2 | TONIGHT - 4/18 @ 8pm CT). We will have a game thread going in the Women's Sports board. Come join us!

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
saban has actually made some bad decisions in his time here...like when he hired the 12 year old from texas to run the offense the first year he was here. to be sure, he quickly rectified that...but that was his call and it was a bad call. it's looking more and more like hiring cristobal wasn't the best choice either.
Of course he has made mistakes like any of us do at our jobs. When you doubt the best coach in the nation and one of the best of all-time on who should be the starting center when he sees them 24/7 365 days and you see them 12 Saturdays for 3 hours out of the year and you are not a football coach it makes you look a little silly IMO. I think it is OK to 2nd guess calls here or there (the FG attempt against the Barn for example) but things like who should start should be left to the professionals who know them a lot better than we do.

TheAccountant

All-SEC
Mar 22, 2011
Birmingham
Of course he has made mistakes like any of us do at our jobs. When you doubt the best coach in the nation and one of the best of all-time on who should be the starting center when he sees them 24/7 365 days and you see them 12 Saturdays for 3 hours out of the year and you are not a football coach it makes you look a little silly IMO. I think it is OK to 2nd guess calls here or there (the FG attempt against the Barn for example) but things like who should start should be left to the professionals who know them a lot better than we do.
My God... this is a football message board. The very reason these things exists is for fans to play armchair QB and coach. Any fan should be able to hold an opinion that he thinks one player should start over another. It may be completely off base but it's nothing more than an opinion by a single fan and not an indictment on the competency of the coach.

Just curious... why is it ok to 2nd guess calls on the field but not personnel decisions? I mean the coaches watch way more film than you do so certainly you should leave those things to the professionals.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
saban has actually made some bad decisions in his time here...like when he hired the 12 year old from texas to run the offense the first year he was here. to be sure, he quickly rectified that...but that was his call and it was a bad call. it's looking more and more like hiring cristobal wasn't the best choice either.

Yeah, he made a mistake with the Applewhite hire, but there's a huge difference between the two situations. He had not had a close personal relationship with Applewhite, he was apparently going by what MA had done in his one year as the OC at Rice where he had transformed a one win wishbone team into a 7 win one back team that went to a bowl for the 1st time in 40 years.

So, let's contrast that with a couple of players that he had been around for 2-3 years and was intimately aware of their relative strengths and weaknesses.

And let's not forget that Coach Saban has a rep of being very demanding of his coaching staff, could it be that MA wasn't willing to put in the time that Coach Saban required?

BTW, Coach Saban makes mistakes every year with recruits, but that's inevitable because some kids are simply not going to rise to the top when they have to compete with the studs he brings in year after year. There's only so much you can tell by recruiting videos and brief face time.

It's just that I really, really believe that there are very good reasons why Kelly was first team over Lindsay. Reasons that we will probably never know or would even fully understand if we knew.

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
My God... this is a football message board. The very reason these things exists is for fans to play armchair QB and coach. Any fan should be able to hold an opinion that he thinks one player should start over another. It may be completely off base but it's nothing more than an opinion by a single fan and not an indictment on the competency of the coach.

Just curious... why is it ok to 2nd guess calls on the field but not personnel decisions? I mean the coaches watch way more film than you do so certainly you should leave those things to the professionals.
Because you and I have watched football for many years (and I played little league through HS) and have a good understanding of the game. We are not around a certain player everyday to see how they do when they are doing Oklahoma drills or their conditioning drills running their sprints or being pushed in the weight room or leading in individual drills. It would like me coming to your job one day that you have been doing for years and telling you how to do your job. I think it is totally different 2nd guessing a field decision than a personnel decision.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
Because you and I have watched football for many years (and I played little league through HS) and have a good understanding of the game. We are not around a certain player everyday to see how they do when they are doing Oklahoma drills or their conditioning drills running their sprints or being pushed in the weight room or leading in individual drills. It would like me coming to your job one day that you have been doing for years and telling you how to do your job. I think it is totally different 2nd guessing a field decision than a personnel decision.
But but but... Coach Saban sees how the kickers are in practice much more than you do, so we should trust his decision on kicking that long of a field goal. After all, he watches practice, and we don't.

TommyMac

Hall of Fame
Apr 24, 2001
Mobile, Alabama
But but but... Coach Saban sees how the kickers are in practice much more than you do, so we should trust his decision on kicking that long of a field goal. After all, he watches practice, and we don't.

What's your point? They may be great in practice.

:conf2:

TUSKtimes

1st Team
Sep 18, 2008
Right here, Right now
It's just that I really, really believe that there are very good reasons why Kelly was first team over Lindsay. Reasons that we will probably never know or would even fully understand if we knew.
But leaving Bama for his senior campaign denotes something else. Nothing is settled across the offensive line. Coach Saban wants to get his 5 best guys on the starting unit. And that's the rub. With the youth getting a chance to step up, why not compete? Lindsay was competing against Arie Koundjio, Leon Brown and host of others, not just Kelly. Pretty sure Chad had that much figured out.

Leaving Alabama, one thing we will find out is this issue of talent. Lindsay, won't be stagnated on the sidelines while we all wonder if he has really got it.

RTR91

Super Moderator
Nov 23, 2007
Prattville
What's your point? They may be great in practice.

:conf2:
Well according to this post, we shouldn't question Saban for player decisions because he sees who practices the best and watches them 24/7, 365. The same can be said for deciding when to kick a field goal since he watches practice and sees how the kickers kick.

bama579

Hall of Fame
Jan 15, 2005
The Chukker or Archibalds
Some things to consider about Applewhites' offense at Alabama - and I say this being 100% convinced Jim McElwain was an upgrade as OC.
Per game stats below. 2007 is the Major Applewhite season. It certainly looks like an improvement to me.

2006 - 23 pts / game 2007 - 27 pts / game
2006 - 123 yds rushing 2007 - 149 yds rushing
2006 - 212 yds passing 2007 - 224 yds passing
2006 - 42 yds penalty 2007 - 34 yds penalty

2006 stats http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2006-2007/teamcume.html
2007 stats http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/stats/2007-2008/teamcume.html

As for Chad Lindsay, count me among those who are puzzled by why he isn't in the mix at one of the guard positions.

Last edited:

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
What I would like to know is what they see, even in the games, that I/we do not? They are making these decisions for good reasons and as smart coaches...why do they see it differently? Any ideas?

Alasippi

Suspended
Aug 31, 2007
Ocean Springs, MS
I just know this--If Arie starts at left guard next season, we're in big trouble.
He may be the best we've got, in the opinion of the coaches. If they're right, I'll repeat it, we're in big trouble. I'm sorry, he can't block.
We have two issues going into next season--the O-line, and the QB.
That's pretty darn scary.
Coach Saban said, "I feel like we're starting from scratch".
I think that implies---rebuilding job.
Maybe we should all just get ready to accept it, because I've seen nothing that makes me disagree with him, and he's a pretty honest guy, don't ya think ?
sip

Padreruf

Hall of Fame
Feb 12, 2001
Charleston, South Carolina
I just know this--If Arie starts at left guard next season, we're in big trouble.
He may be the best we've got, in the opinion of the coaches. If they're right, I'll repeat it, we're in big trouble. I'm sorry, he can't block.
We have two issues going into next season--the O-line, and the QB.
That's pretty darn scary.
Coach Saban said, "I feel like we're starting from scratch".
I think that implies---rebuilding job.
Maybe we should all just get ready to accept it, because I've seen nothing that makes me disagree with him, and he's a pretty honest guy, don't ya think ?
sip
I am beginning to believe him. I have questioned AK's play for a whole year. Is he a physical specimen? Yes. Can he move and block someone crashing down? No. I thought that they played him to placate his brother...but that is no longer the case. Somethings are beyond me, I guess. :)

Airborne Tider

All-American
Aug 2, 2008
Fort Benning
I thought we signed Arie to make sure we got Cyrus? I think we have also done this with other siblings which can be somewhat questionable.
No. Arie was pretty highly touted coming out of high school. And the only other sibling that I know of that Saban signed was Marcel Dareus' brother and he was never going to make it to campus anyway. In fact, the reason we didn't sign Keenan Allen because Saban wouldn't let his half brother Zach Maynard transfer from Buffalo.

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

TiderJack

Hall of Fame
Jul 9, 2010
Inverness, AL
Well according to this post, we shouldn't question Saban for player decisions because he sees who practices the best and watches them 24/7, 365. The same can be said for deciding when to kick a field goal since he watches practice and sees how the kickers kick.
I'm not saying you should not question player decisions. I'm saying when you do you look foolish IMO when you are doubting the best staff in the nation.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
I think there is a big difference in "discussing" why a player plays or doesn't plays AND a "in game decision" like the fg against Auburn last year.

The former is based on tons of practice time, film study, the attitude players have, etc. The latter is made in real time, on the spot. Lot more room for mistakes in the latter. BIG DIFFERENCE.

I'm usually one of the ones saying "this is a message board" and the purpose is to discuss things. But to act like CNS didn't notice CL was a pretty good blocker and suggests the staff blew it when CL transferred is fodder for our board, but very short-sided IMO.

Someone said, "why not try CL at guard" (before he transferred). How do we not know CL was given that opportunity??? Personally, I can't imagine he wasn't.

This discussion doesn't bother me, which ever perspective you want to take on why CL transferred, but this was surely more complicated that the staff not noticing that CL was a decent center or not thinking about trying him at guard. If we think CNS and staff just didn't think about this this then we must really believe the crazies are running the asylum down there.

CrimsonForce

Hall of Fame
Dec 20, 2012
The way I see it is CL was the better run blocker by far and RK was the better pass blocker. The staff probably had more confidence in getting RK up to speed with run blocking than getting CL better at pass blocking. They probably made the right choice in that regard. Tough to get those road graders to be able to pick up speed rushes. I do think CL may have been a better option at guard than what we have. Not sure if CL didn't want to play guard or what the disconnect there was.

bamafaninOhiO

All-American
May 11, 2010
Dayton, Ohio
fans can second guess anything they want, as long as its done in the right manner. I dont agree with all decisions, and may not agree with the starters the coaches select. I think everyone understands that therer are things we dont know, but we can definitly wonder 'why'.

of course, if the comments dont agree with you, you can also choose not to read them.

Roll Tide...

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.