SEC Network Links and news

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art
Re: SEC Network on DirecTV

Just remember that the "scare tactics" allow ESPN to pay Alabama and the rest of the SEC the $2.25 billion dollars over the next 15 years. ;)

That being said, I would feel a whole lot better if they got Comcast (my provider) to sign up.
I'm not yet blown away by the revenue that the SEC is getting from the ESPN. Remember, even the Big 12 while falling into pieces was able to match the Slive negotiated ESPN deal. The SEC should blow away revenue that all other schools are producing, you take that deal you cited, it only comes out to 10 million per school per year. That's a very unimpressive number at the moment and the ACC and Big-12 were able to get similar deals.

I haven't seen real numbers on the current deals though, I just know that the SEC had to sell their soul for a lot longer and might very well have had to double down on a bad deal. I do hope they can leverage their way into big bucks for the network deal, primarily because they'll need it just to offset what Alabama will be losing from the PPV game.

Mainly though, I dislike ESPN's tactics, because they've demonstrated a willingness to harm a product if it helps them corner the market. The choice to show the BCSCG on ESPN instead of ABC was a perfect example. Why on earth would you do that other than to simply demand higher subscription rates? It hurt the ratings, we all know that (although ESPN blamed that on the BCSCG itself, not moving it to pay TV). I've said this before, but if the SEC programs are not getting in the neighborhood of 30 million annually from their TV deals, then Slive wasn't a very good negotiator.

Bama Reb

Suspended
Nov 2, 2005
On the lake and in the woods, AL

The SEC network is due to debut in August. My DirecTV contract expires this June. I keep getting advertisements from AT&T Uverse wanting me to switch my TV over to UVerse. Those ads present some great deals. Need I say more?

tmv85

All-SEC

Sounds like an equipment issue rather than the signal. We've never had any of those problems and, when I briefly had Dish one time a few years ago, I didn't care for their customer service.
EXACTLY! But the only thing they want to tell us to do is unplug the receiver and wait 15 minutes (or whatever random time they come up with), and when it is plugged back in, it should work just fine. Problem is it doesn't.

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

I haven't seen real numbers on the current deals though, I just know that the SEC had to sell their soul for a lot longer and might very well have had to double down on a bad deal. I do hope they can leverage their way into big bucks for the network deal, primarily because they'll need it just to offset what Alabama will be losing from the PPV game.

Mainly though, I dislike ESPN's tactics, because they've demonstrated a willingness to harm a product if it helps them corner the market. The choice to show the BCSCG on ESPN instead of ABC was a perfect example. Why on earth would you do that other than to simply demand higher subscription rates? It hurt the ratings, we all know that (although ESPN blamed that on the BCSCG itself, not moving it to pay TV). I've said this before, but if the SEC programs are not getting in the neighborhood of 30 million annually from their TV deals, then Slive wasn't a very good negotiator.
I do agree that we could've gotten more money. But a major reason that they moved it to ESPN is because the ABC affiliates don't like show their local news late (which is lost revenue for them). Correct me if I am wrong, but didn't the major Bama/Auburn markets like Birmingham 33/40 show the game on their station? Whenever the Eagles are on MNF, they always show the game on ABC here in Philly too.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

EXACTLY! But the only thing they want to tell us to do is unplug the receiver and wait 15 minutes (or whatever random time they come up with), and when it is plugged back in, it should work just fine. Problem is it doesn't.
Do you have the "Genie" system? Your post made me read up on it a bit and it may be part of your stability issue.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Call and tell them you are ready to switch to a different carrier and tell them specifically what is wrong and I'll guarantee they'll have someone at your house sometime in the next few days.

YellowhammerLA

3rd Team
Jan 14, 2007

FYI this is DirecTV's official position re: SEC Network at this time:

We strongly believe every SEC fan should have access to the SEC Network on DIRECTV and customers can rest assured that is our goal as we continue our discussions with the owners of the channel. Contract talks happen on a different timetable with each TV provider, so unlike our competitors, we have really just begun our discussions and hope to have an update on status as we move closer to the network’s launch in August.

SavannahDare

Hall of Fame
Jul 23, 2004
Gulf Breeze, Florida

I've been a DirecTV customer since 1999, in four different states via four household moves, and have rarely been disappointed in the service we've received. We won't switch over this, that's for sure, and I expect they'll get it offered in some way I find acceptable.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: Alabama Week 2 Game Against Florida Atlantic to be on SEC Network

Ouch! 11:00 central on Sept. 6. Probably a hot day in BDS.

kyallie

FB Moderator
Staff member
Jan 17, 2010
Shakopee Minnesota, via Birmingham Alabama
Last edited:

colbysullivan

Hall of Fame
Dec 12, 2007
Gulf Breeze, FL

Wow I didn't know it was gonna have that many games. I thought it would just be the early game. Is it true that this will eliminate the PPV games as well?

edwd58

All-American
Aug 2, 2006

Ugh, another scorcher - but better than an 8 o'clock evening kickoff.

Ole Man Dan

Hall of Fame
Apr 21, 2008
Gadsden, Al.

We had to buy a new TV about a year and a half ago. We went to Sam's and DirecTV was set up there pushing their product. We had Dish at the time, and I couldn't get the hubs alone long enough to discuss it. We ended up switching to Direct, and we HATE it. Yes, the picture is great, but customer service is crap. We tried to get a separate receiver so we could take it tailgating. We were told that it is impossible to remotely pick up a signal from a location away from your residence. My husband argued that it happens every single Saturday during football season. We have also had issues with the TVs just shutting off randomly, pictures freezing, volume going out. We've called about that and are told to do a hard reset. We do, and it might correct the problem briefly. We've also been told it must be the TV. If it happened on just one TV, I might think that is the problem, but it happens on all of them at random times. As soon as our contract with them is up, we are gone.
I set up a ROUND Direct TV dish on a Tripod, take the receiver out of our bed room and use it in my camper.
I get all the channels I do at home and the Local Channels up to about 225 miles from my house.
You must have talked to a moron. It ain't rocket science...

B1GTide

TideFans Legend
Apr 13, 2012

Since it still looks like the SEC Network is not going to make it where I live, and I also don't get ESPN3 (WatchESPN), it looks like I will be missing a number of Alabama games next year. This network is going to make it a lot harder for Alabama fans around the world to watch your games.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.