SEC Network Links and news

Bazza

TideFans Legend
Oct 1, 2011
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Re: SEC Network will air 63 Classic Games in first two weeks

Was there ever any doubt - I mean what carrier wouldn't want to carry the most exciting conference football games in the country?

This is going to be an epic football season on several levels! :)

im4datide

All-SEC
Sep 6, 2001
Spring Hill,TN

Someone at work (who also has Charter) told me that at the end of the day, Charter ain't stupid. They know they have to reel in this network being that they have such a large customer base within the Southeast. If they dropped the B1G channel in order to carry the SEC Network, I would have no problem with that whatsoever.
Wouldn't hurt my feelings for them to drop the B10 Network in exchange for the SEC Network

Re: Latest Bama News 7/30/14

Retweeted by CollegeFootballTalk Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 6m

Breaking: Charter and ESPN are finalizing an agreement to carry SEC Network. Charter will have SEC Network on Aug. 14.
It's about time!

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

Was there ever any doubt - I mean what carrier wouldn't want to carry the most exciting conference football games in the country?

This is going to be an epic football season on several levels! :)

Direct TV obviously. Even though I think they will eventually get it, why are they not pursuing it harder. All they're doing is irritating customers. I've had DTV for over 8 years but will switch in a heartbeat if it goes on much longer. We've already been talking to Charter just because DTV keeps going up. Note to DTV executives - Stick it. :mad:

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Direct TV obviously. Even though I think they will eventually get it, why are they not pursuing it harder. All they're doing is irritating customers. I've had DTV for over 8 years but will switch in a heartbeat if it goes on much longer. We've already been talking to Charter just because DTV keeps going up. Note to DTV executives - Stick it. :mad:
This is just nonsense. So what DirecTV doesn't have a deal yet? The Network doesn't even launch for another two weeks, and it will be more than two weeks after that before there is anything worth watching on the Network. Exactly what would you do with it right now even if you had it?

If kick-off comes in A&M v. South Carolina and it's still not around, sure, switch if it's that big of a deal (or, better yet, you probably ought to switch regardless and get a promo rate for a couple of years out of a new provider, though that's another issue). But until that time draws very near, it's really just all histrionics by both sides, and frankly there is just nothing to get worked up over with a couple of huge companies bickering over some fine print details with more than a month to go before any deal needs to get done.

Last edited:

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

I'm speaking just as much about their prices going up as I am about the SEC Network. Granted, it's a few weeks off and who cares until the season starts. Okay once the deal is made how long before your access to it, I have no idea. I wouldn't expect it to be very long. Also it is just a forum and I should be able to get a little frustrated if I want. Call it what you want, we have different views of what is nonsense.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I'm speaking just as much about their prices going up as I am about the SEC Network. Granted, it's a few weeks off and who cares until the season starts. Okay once the deal is made how long before your access to it, I have no idea. I wouldn't expect it to be very long. Also it is just a forum and I should be able to get a little frustrated if I want. Call it what you want, we have different views of what is nonsense.
Well, as it relates to prices, you absolutely ought to switch, I'm sure, and that has nothing to do with the SEC Network. I don't know your rates, of course, but if you've been with DirecTV for over eight years, I bet you are getting hammered, because the pricing models with TV/ISP providers are just asinine. Why an industry would ever choose to harshly penalize consumers for loyalty I'll never know, but that is the chose they've made. Unless you've got some other reason why not to switch, it's generally a good idea to switch every two or three years.

As for the rest, my apologies if I came off a bit harsh, and that was not the intention. The point I was / am trying to convey is that I just don't understand the hysteria over this at the moment. Even if the provider has reached a deal right now, at this point you still can't do anything with it but stare at a blank screen on a non-existent channel number. To me, the outrage ought to be saved until there is some real detrimental harm.

CrimsonMapper

1st Team
Apr 19, 2006
Montgomery, AL

Well, as it relates to prices, you absolutely ought to switch, I'm sure, and that has nothing to do with the SEC Network. I don't know your rates, of course, but if you've been with DirecTV for over eight years, I bet you are getting hammered, because the pricing models with TV/ISP providers are just asinine. Why an industry would ever choose to harshly penalize consumers for loyalty I'll never know, but that is the chose they've made. Unless you've got some other reason why not to switch, it's generally a good idea to switch every two or three years.

As for the rest, my apologies if I came off a bit harsh, and that was not the intention. The point I was / am trying to convey is that I just don't understand the hysteria over this at the moment. Even if the provider has reached a deal right now, at this point you still can't do anything with it but stare at a blank screen on a non-existent channel number. To me, the outrage ought to be saved until there is some real detrimental harm.
I renegotiate with DirecTV every 2 years. I call their customer retention department and tell them I'm switching to Dish or Charter. They start off with free HBO and I counter with the new customer package including Sunday Ticket. The process takes about 20 minutes before they finally give me the new customer package with the latest equipment. If they don't match it, I'm going to Dish or Charter. They've matched it 3 times now. So, every other year I get NFL Sunday Ticket and new equipment for free. Heck, you don't even have to wait 2 full years now because Charter and other companies are offering to buy you out of your DirecTV contract for up to 500 dollars. My contract isn't up until November this time, so I'm planning on calling them in the next few weeks and using the SEC Network/Charter buy out as leverage to get the new customer package and NFL Sunday Ticket for free this season.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

A guy on ITAT says he's hearing Directv is announcing tomorrow. That's all he said, so consider that with a grain of salt.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

I renegotiate with DirecTV every 2 years. I call their customer retention department and tell them I'm switching to Dish or Charter.
That's the ticket. Do that and they'll usually play ball with you -- though in fairness it typically just depends on the rep you get -- and if they won't significantly lower the bill, then move on elsewhere. I recently did this and it worked out extremely well. I ended up getting six months of free HBO and a total two-year savings (with no contract in place, so I can leave at any time) of roughly $850 over what my old provider was going to charge.

We_are_Bama

Suspended
Dec 11, 2008

Wouldn't hurt my feelings for them to drop the B10 Network in exchange for the SEC Network

It's about time!
Exactly. We really do not need the B1G Network here in the Southeast. I say keep the B1G Network in the B1G states (which now ranges from New Jersey all the way to Nebraska) and have the SEC Network in this part of the country.

BigEasyTider

FB | REC Moderator
Nov 27, 2007

Exactly. We really do not need the B1G Network here in the Southeast. I say keep the B1G Network in the B1G states (which now ranges from New Jersey all the way to Nebraska) and have the SEC Network in this part of the country.
That's actually how you get the B1G Network, though, in a strange way. Given that you are out-of-market, the subscriber rates are dirt cheap, so providers take those channels because it allows them to fluff their coverage range while essentially adding no real cost to the bottom line. It basically creates a relatively cost-free basis for them to be able to say, "Wow, look at all of the sports channels that we have." Off-hand, I think the B1G Network goes for something like 12 cents per month per subscriber for out-of-market subscribers, versus a little over $1.00 per month per subscriber for in-market subscribers.

The same is going to apply the SEC Network, by the way, so you'll have the same effect.

willie52

All-American
Jan 25, 2008
Arab, AL

BET, we're good and I understand what everyone is saying, I have done this in the past but there comes a point when you just get tired of having to negotiate to get a better deal when they could just do this from the beginning. I have been a loyal customer because of the pricing and customer service provided but prices are going up constantly now. I left Charter for the same reason and now Charter has better deals it seems like. My only complaint with DTV was some of the technicians who wanted to drill holes in my floor, ceiling or walls when there are cable outlets in every room. Finally got a really knowledgeable and experienced tech who removed at least 25 feet of wire and still hooked up my whole home DVR system (6 TV's) without additional drilling or wiring. As far as keeping them, I have a portable dish I take outside and set up with a box and flat screen for picnics, watching football or racing while in the pool as well as camping or going to the races. Can't do that with cable. I made an earlier post that I was going to call them for discounted bill but haven't as yet. May change to Charter and keep one DTV box for the extracurricular activities, haven't decided. :)

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

I had a lengthy conversation yesterday with a Directv rep. He said he was from Georgia and understood why so many want Directv to negatiate the deal.

He said he's 100% sure it'll happen because they realize the fallout the'll have from costumers all over the region if they fail to get it done.

Of course, he was speaking from instincts, but he believes they'll work it out before the season begins.

pbearbryant

Scout Team
Nov 2, 2007

I spoke with Direct in person at a best buy and was told a deal was made and it would be available 8/12.

Latest threads

TideFans.shop - NEW Stuff!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.