SEC Network Links and news

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC
Re: SEC Network on DirecTV

I've called twice and the female reps I've talked to are obviously not college football fans. Neither had even heard of it. The last one I asked said she lived in Miami.

They submitted my request for the "new channel" after she asked me to spell it! SEC NETWORK.

I can't believe they won't, at some point, pick it up, but I'm concerned they already haven't.

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Don't expect DirectTV to carry it the initial year. I've called and the best I can get is "they're in negotiations". I've read bits and pieces of things on the internet that I'm unsure if any truth is part of it. But I read that part of the problem is whatever the SEC is "charging" would require DirectTV to go up on their subscribers $2/month which they obviously do not want to do.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

Don't expect DirectTV to carry it the initial year. I've called and the best I can get is "they're in negotiations". I've read bits and pieces of things on the internet that I'm unsure if any truth is part of it. But I read that part of the problem is whatever the SEC is "charging" would require DirectTV to go up on their subscribers $2/month which they obviously do not want to do.
Hard for me to buy that (not what you say, but what you are describing). Just offer it as a separate package. I'd be willing to pay $10 more a month for it during football and maybe basketball season.

If they don't offer it, they'll see a bunch of folks leave them around August!

KrAzY3

Hall of Fame
Jan 18, 2006
kraizy.art

ESPN's tactics do raise cable/satellite rates significantly. That's one reason they are trying to corner the market, and move things to cable and hurt the ratings. They rely on demanding as much money as possible for every subscriber, even if they don't watch ESPN. So, they don't care so much about ratings anymore, they mainly care about having content that enough users will demand. Put all the big games on ESPN, and sure enough, sports fans will go nuts without it.

I'm sure that they'll try to use similar tactics here.

Last edited:

Bamabuzzard

FB Moderator
Staff member
Aug 15, 2004
Where ever there's BBQ, Bourbon & Football

Hard for me to buy that (not what you say, but what you are describing). Just offer it as a separate package. I'd be willing to pay $10 more a month for it during football and maybe basketball season.

If they don't offer it, they'll see a bunch of folks leave them around August!
If it doesn't come with my standard DirectTV package I'm not paying extra for it. It's not like they're going to be carrying premiere games and most of the games I watch are broadcast on ESPN, ABC or CBS already.

CoachJeff

Suspended
Jan 21, 2014
Shelby County Alabama

I don't watch tv outside of sports, so getting rid of DirecTV is something I've thought about. If they don't have the SEC network I'll get U-Verse or some other cable company. I'd get rid of cable/dish altogether but the wife likes her shows. From February to August I could do without watching TV at all and wouldn't miss a beat.

RollTide1224

All-American
Feb 18, 2008
Spartanburg, SC

If it doesn't come with my standard DirectTV package I'm not paying extra for it. It's not like they're going to be carrying premiere games and most of the games I watch are broadcast on ESPN, ABC or CBS already.
I know for Bama fans it isn't premiere but the opening game is USC vs. A&M which based off the last few years is a pretty big showdown. They obviously won't have the marquee game of the week but it's certainly possible they could have an Alabama game.

I live in Columbia and people are already worried about not having the ability to watch the game at home. I believe the B10 network didn't get picked up by directv til year 2. I hope they can get it worked out with all the major providers, it's bad enough when the SEC network game overflows into the first 20 minutes of my Bama game.

tmv85

All-SEC

We had to buy a new TV about a year and a half ago. We went to Sam's and DirecTV was set up there pushing their product. We had Dish at the time, and I couldn't get the hubs alone long enough to discuss it. We ended up switching to Direct, and we HATE it. Yes, the picture is great, but customer service is crap. We tried to get a separate receiver so we could take it tailgating. We were told that it is impossible to remotely pick up a signal from a location away from your residence. My husband argued that it happens every single Saturday during football season. We have also had issues with the TVs just shutting off randomly, pictures freezing, volume going out. We've called about that and are told to do a hard reset. We do, and it might correct the problem briefly. We've also been told it must be the TV. If it happened on just one TV, I might think that is the problem, but it happens on all of them at random times. As soon as our contract with them is up, we are gone.

CullmanTide

Hall of Fame
Jan 7, 2008
Cullman, Al

I've got Directv and if they don't offer the SEC Network, I will change to someone else as my contract runs out around August. Charter hasn't decided if they will offer it here yet but Dish will.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

We had to buy a new TV about a year and a half ago. We went to Sam's and DirecTV was set up there pushing their product. We had Dish at the time, and I couldn't get the hubs alone long enough to discuss it. We ended up switching to Direct, and we HATE it. Yes, the picture is great, but customer service is crap. We tried to get a separate receiver so we could take it tailgating. We were told that it is impossible to remotely pick up a signal from a location away from your residence. My husband argued that it happens every single Saturday during football season. We have also had issues with the TVs just shutting off randomly, pictures freezing, volume going out. We've called about that and are told to do a hard reset. We do, and it might correct the problem briefly. We've also been told it must be the TV. If it happened on just one TV, I might think that is the problem, but it happens on all of them at random times. As soon as our contract with them is up, we are gone.
Sounds like an equipment issue rather than the signal. We've never had any of those problems and, when I briefly had Dish one time a few years ago, I didn't care for their customer service.

Special K

All-American
Feb 8, 2008

Hmmm, interesting. I've had both carriers, currently with Direct, and I like them much better than Dish. I haven't had any of the problems you mention, in fact my experience was almost opposite of yours. With Dish, even a slight drizzle of rain would give me signal problems. Direct will lose signal in a really hard rain, but it has to be pretty significant. As for customer service, Dish was never much help on anything while DTV has always been great for me. Direct picture quality is excellent and I love their "whole home DVR" solution - basically a MoCa network that connects all of the receivers and includes a DECA adapter to also connect to your personal LAN for internet streaming/apps. Granted, we got ours before Dish's "hopper" came out so I can't compare directly. Then again Direct now has the "genie" thing which is even a step above the older implementation that I have and may be superior to Dish's "hopper", I'm not sure. My only real complaint with Direct is the price structure, as I have to call in once every few months to a year and threaten to switch in order to get promotional pricing that keeps it competitive with Dish/cable.

I think with either sat. company (maybe cable too) that the level of reliability/satisfaction you will get is directly proportional to the installer/tech that does your installation. Ours from Direct was fantastic, very accommodating and meticulous with the details, and I believe that is one of the reasons we've had virtually zero issues.

As for the SEC Network, I'm sure hoping DTV picks it up. I'm taking a wait and see approach, but I doubt that alone will make me switch to someone else, especially cable (Charter in my case). Uverse is not an option in my area, unfortunately, and I don't play nice with AT&T anyway.

Last edited:

TideMom2Boys

Hall of Fame
Nov 17, 2010
Alabama

Same story with Charter. I am sure they will decide to carry it or not in the summer. If they don't, it isn't enough for me to change...I love Charter internet and cable.

How many of our games, do you think will be on there only?

CrimsonChuck

Hall of Fame
Nov 15, 1999
Philadelphia, PA

ESPN's tactics do raise cable/satellite rates significantly. That's one reason they are trying to corner the market, and move things to cable and hurt the ratings. They rely on demanding as much money as possible for every subscriber, even if they don't watch ESPN. So, they don't care so much about ratings anymore, they mainly care about having content that enough users will demand. Put all the big games on ESPN, and sure enough, sports fans will go nuts without it.

I'm sure that they'll try to use similar tactics here.
Just remember that the "scare tactics" allow ESPN to pay Alabama and the rest of the SEC the $2.25 billion dollars over the next 15 years. ;)

That being said, I would feel a whole lot better if they got Comcast (my provider) to sign up.

TrampLineman

Hall of Fame
Jul 21, 2010
Alabama

You should have told them you own a RV and need an extra receiver, that's what we did. Plus if you have a regular receiver you can just take it with you.

As for the SEC Network, they'll carry it. They cave in every time and they know good and well come August they will lose a ton to Dish if not.

BamaMoon

Hall of Fame
Apr 1, 2004
Boone, NC

You should have told them you own a RV and need an extra receiver, that's what we did. Plus if you have a regular receiver you can just take it with you.

As for the SEC Network, they'll carry it. They cave in every time and they know good and well come August they will lose a ton to Dish if not.
I tend to think this too. Too many southerners care about their football too much. Big 10 Network will be nothing compared to this with our love for all things college football!

Latest threads

TideFans.shop : 2024 Madness!

TideFans.shop - Get YOUR Bama Gear HERE!”></a>
<br />

<!--/ END TideFans.shop & item link \-->
<p style= Purchases made through our TideFans.shop and Amazon.com links may result in a commission being paid to TideFans.